How Much Should An Ignition Switch Cost?

Old December 20th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ed

Default How Much Should An Ignition Switch Cost?

I have a SL2, '97. Whta would the the cost be to replace the ignition +
labour?

Thank-you

Old December 20th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article <vbtaj.36864$D44.24720@trnddc04>, "Ed" > wrote:
>I have a SL2, '97. Whta would the the cost be to replace the ignition +
>labour?

Cost of labor is highly variable depending on location, which makes any answer
you get here nearly worthless. Why not pick up the phone, call the nearest
Saturn dealer, and ask?

--
Regards,

Old December 21st 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
byrdsfan

On Dec 20, 8:04 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> In article <vbtaj.36864$D44.24720@trnddc04>, "Ed" > wrote:
> >I have a SL2, '97. Whta would the the cost be to replace the ignition +
> >labour?

> Cost of labor is highly variable depending on location, which makes any answer
> you get here nearly worthless. Why not pick up the phone, call the nearest
> Saturn dealer, and ask?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
>
> It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.

I paid like $450 in NYC like a couple of months after my LS2 warranty
went out. That didnt inlcude the tow. This was in 2001.
Old December 22nd 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jon Jon

byrdsfan replied $450 give or take - prior to reading his post I was
thinking my Sister paid about the same for hers on her '95 Saturn and
apparently my thinking was accurate.

Old December 22nd 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
whitefordtruck

byrdsfan wrote:
>> >I have a SL2, '97. Whta would the the cost be to replace the ignition +
>> >labour?

>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>>
>> It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.

>I paid like $450 in NYC like a couple of months after my LS2 warranty
>went out. That didnt inlcude the tow. This was in 2001.

That's about right probably.

Old December 23rd 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

If you have some patience, a Haynes or Chilton manual, and a few tools, you
can do this yourself and save a lot. If I recall correctly, the parts to
replace the ignition cylinder were less than $30. You will need a very
compact and thin-walled socket to remove the bottom trim piece off the
steering column though due to an inset hex-head screw (this was on my '94).
I found a 'skewdriver'-type tool from K-Mart for around $10 that came with
very compact sockets - it easily fit into the opening to remove that screw.
Info on the tool can be found he
http://toolmonger.com/2007/05/17/hot...he-skewdriver/

You may also want to replace your keys, because they tend to get chewed up
when the cylinder goes bad, and a chewed-up key also contributes to the
difficulty in removing/turning it. Also, I've spoken with a Saturn tech
that feels that heavy keychains dangling on the key can accelerate the wear
of the cylinder over time. Makes sense.
Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old December 23rd 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
ED

"Lane" > wrote in message
> If you have some patience, a Haynes or Chilton manual, and a few tools,
> you can do this yourself and save a lot. If I recall correctly, the parts
> to replace the ignition cylinder were less than $30.

That's what I would guess it would cost so why did a poster say it would
cost $450 to replace? After all, how much time would it take a mechanic to
change it? An hour?

You may also want to replace your keys, because they tend to get chewed up

I think this was the problem (not from heavy keys though) because for a
couple of months the key was hard to turn and I'd have to remove it or
jiggle it and it seemed to get progressively worse until now I can't start
it at all

Old December 23rd 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Son_Worshipper

On Dec 23, 10:07 am, "ED" > wrote:
> "Lane" > wrote in message

> > If you have some patience, a Haynes or Chilton manual, and a few tools,
> > you can do this yourself and save a lot. If I recall correctly, the parts
> > to replace the ignition cylinder were less than $30.

> That's what I would guess it would cost so why did a poster say it would
> cost $450 to replace? After all, how much time would it take a mechanic to
> change it? An hour?
>
> You may also want to replace your keys, because they tend to get chewed up
>
> I think this was the problem (not from heavy keys though) because for a
> couple of months the key was hard to turn and I'd have to remove it or
> jiggle it and it seemed to get progressively worse until now I can't start
> it at all
>
> > when the cylinder goes bad, and a chewed-up key also contributes to the
> > difficulty in removing/turning it. Also, I've spoken with a Saturn tech
> > that feels that heavy keychains dangling on the key can accelerate the
> > wear of the cylinder over time. Makes sense.
> > Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
> > ---
> > Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at
> >http://www.evilplastic.com

> > "Ed" > wrote in message
> >>I have a SL2, '97. Whta would the the cost be to replace the ignition +
> >>labour?

> >> Thank-you

We had a '93 SL2 with a similar but different problem. After about
220,000 miles, the worn ignition switch would take any ket that would
physically fit into it. I discovered this when I accidentally used
the key from my '93 Nissan Ultima!
Old December 25th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Father Mike[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:22:04 -0800 (PST), Son_Worshipper wrote:

> We had a '93 SL2 with a similar but different problem. After about
> 220,000 miles, the worn ignition switch would take any ket that would
> physically fit into it. I discovered this when I accidentally used
> the key from my '93 Nissan Ultima!

That's a good one! Sounds like a great feature on some new model..
universal ignition switch!
Old January 4th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
debb

On Dec 20 2007, 6:26 am, "Ed" > wrote:
> I have a SL2, '97. Whta would the the cost be to replace the ignition +
> labour?
>
> Thank-you

I just paid 550. Thats 310 for labor. A pretty high price, I think.

Ignition Switch [email protected] Corvette 9 August 8th 07 08:36 PM
97 SW1 Ignition switch ??? [email protected] Saturn 2 July 11th 07 11:18 PM
Ignition Switch??? Bill_Kenney Mazda 1 September 10th 06 07:56 PM
rabbit ignition switch to toggle switch [email protected] VW water cooled 2 October 24th 05 03:26 AM
Ignition Switch [email protected] VW air cooled 3 March 5th 05 09:26 PM