What now?? (Clutch slave again)

Old May 28th 05, 03:36 AM
Eric

Default What now?? (Clutch slave again)

Ok, got the clutch slave in and installed it. Something just wasn't
right -- I couldn't get the fluid to flow from the master cyl through the
line and come out of the bleeder on the slave. Kept pushing the clutch in
and out until I had worked my way through 1.5 master cyl's worth of fluid.
STILL, nothing coming out of the slave. However, now the slave was engaging
the clutch. I could have it in gear, push in the clutch, and roll. Hmmm...

Worked it some more, and the clutch felt like new. Better than it ever has
in the past two years. So, I ensured the proper amount of fluid was in the
master, put the grommet in, put the bleeder screw back into the slave
(though having it out did nothing) and off I went. I stopped every few
miles, and nothing would change. Clutch was good, and fluid was good. Got
onto the highway and 5 minutes later I didn't have a clutch. SCARY! I
pumped it a LOT and it came back.

So, in town, I had a perfectly normal clutch (stop and go driving). When it
wasn't used, it wouldn't work. So I got it to the point of almost not
working (clutch pedal would go almost to the floor before working) and
pulled over to look in the master cyl. Nothing wrong. No bubbles, no
change in fluid level, nothing. Pumped the clutch once or twice, and it was
back to normal. Get home, in the garage, and notice a mechanical feel to
the pedal. Shut off the TJ, and sure enough, I can hear the slave working.
It... grinds.. when the pedal is almost to the floor.

What the heck?? Did I get a bad part?!? I thought it was odd it wouldn't
bleed... HELP!!!

Eric

Old May 28th 05, 03:39 AM
Eric

Just found this online... guess I need a new slave.. @#$@#$%%@#$
http://www.quadratec.com/pdf/slave_cylinder.pdf

Question: Can I remove this slave and be able to put it back now that the
side straps have been cut???

Eric

Old May 28th 05, 03:55 AM
Eric

So can I remove the slave and get it back in WITHOUT the straps that kept
the shaft pulled back????

Eric

Old May 28th 05, 05:22 AM
Eric

Took the slave out and followed the directions. Although getting the shaft
lined back up with the fork on the clutch took some finesse, it's back in
and smoother. If I'd only done that the first time...

The mechanical sound is there, but different. Guess the first sound was
actually two sounds together. Now the click, clunk, grind, whatever, seems
to be coming from inside the tranny itself. Seems to be related to the
clutch or release fork. It's not the slave making the noise (unless the
shaft is binding against something, but I can't imagine what).

Is my clutch about to go? Thoughts? Thanks!

Eric

Old May 28th 05, 02:03 PM
Mike Romain

If the slave won't bleed, it is bad.

You can curse it, put it in 10 times, pump it a million times and it
still will be a bad slave cylinder.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 28th 05, 03:35 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Eric" > wrote in message

> So, I ensured the proper amount of fluid was in the
> master, put the grommet in, put the bleeder screw back into the slave
> (though having it out did nothing) and off I went.

The way I bleed a hydraulic system, you have to have two
people (or use a vacuum pump!). You *don't* take the
screw out all the way... it's actually a valve nipple, like
a brake cylinder. Open the bleeder screw, have someone
push the pedal all the way down, close the bleeder screw,
have the pedal come up... lather, rinse, repeat, until there's
fluid coming out of the bleeder screw. The idea is to keep
air from sucking back into the cylinder/line when the pedal
comes up... you pump the fluid in and the air out, using the
bleeder screw as a valve.

Until you bleed it properly, you'll continue to have problems
with it.
__
Steve
..

Old May 28th 05, 05:22 PM
Eric

Check out the PDF I linked to above. You don't bleed this slave that way.
There is NO bleeder valve. None, zip, zilch, nada. The only way to bleed
it is to pump the bubbles out of the master by pushing on the slave. Wierd,
I know. But now my clutch works great. The pedal is stronger than the day
I bought it. Of course it's still making that funny noise. Kind of a
"chunk". Don't know -- mechanic friend of mine seems to think the fork is a
little off or something. He rattled of some things and said it really just
slipped a little out of alignment and can easily be fixed (as long as you
don't have to pull the tranny)...

Eric
.. .

Old May 28th 05, 07:20 PM
Will Honea

Not being a true believer in the pump-it-til-it-works bleeding scheme,
I used a different method when I changed my (external ) slave a whie
back. First, the replacement did NOT have a hole drilled thru in the
"bleed" port so that way was out. OK, next step. Unhooked the
plactic straps so that the slave plunger would extend, let the slave
hang down and filled the mc. Worked the slave plunger in and out
SLOWLY while the wife watched the mc reservoir - watching for bubbles
and keeping it full. Took about 5-6 full strokes of the slave to get
all the bubbles out. Hooked up the plactic straps and installed it.
No problems. If it bleeds down while just setting, suspect the
master, not the slave.

--
Will Honea
Old May 29th 05, 01:47 AM
Eric

That's pretty much what had to be done. But I didn't know that at the
time...

Eric

Old May 29th 05, 02:11 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

need to look at the link he supplied on one of his previous writes. It
showes the directions he didn't follow. It states that the slave he has
doesnt have a bleed screw, and if the screw (That on other models is a
bleed screw) gets removed, it ruins the slave and requires replacement with
new.
--
Robb

Help! Clutch problems Eric Jeep 7 May 23rd 05 04:12 AM
Clutch Slave Cylinder - New or Rebuilt? mjb920 Mazda 2 March 1st 05 07:35 PM
Clutch Slave Cyl. Jeepster Jeep 7 February 6th 05 11:38 PM
94 Civic: boot the clutch slave cylinder goes into?? Abeness Honda 2 November 16th 04 06:26 AM
Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement/Repair Advice Pat Dreiding Mazda 4 October 18th 04 01:47 AM