Ford Explorer Sport 2001

Old November 16th 04, 06:58 AM
JSS

Default Ford Explorer Sport 2001

I'm looking at buying an Explorer from a local dealer and would like
to know if there is anything I need to check before I sign all the
paperwork. It is the 4x2 with 54k miles and appears to be in good
shape. They will be replacing the driver side mirror and the
windshield.

After doing a quick search I haven't found any major problems with the
model but Like I said it was a quick search. Any suggestions on what I
should check before it's a done deal.

Thanks

Jeff
Old November 16th 04, 07:46 AM
Jim Warman

I usually recommend that an interested purchaser have the unit check by a
disinterested 3rd party shop. Aside from checking know wear`areas
(particularly brakes and suspension and steering components) they can also
look for evidence of abuse, poor service history or accident.

I say "disinterested 3rd party" for two reasons. First, you have a salesman
that wants to make a sale...... unless you know him/her personally, you have
no idea regarding their integrity. Second, all too often, someone will
coerce themselves into purchasing the wrong vehicle.

Old November 20th 04, 03:37 AM
Kevin DeAngelis

This is obvious, but you also want to get a Carfax report. www.carfax.com.

Old November 20th 04, 05:03 AM
Jim Warman

I keep forgetting about that.... we don't have this particular service.
Where I live, cars that have been written off must be recertified by an
independent shop and for questions regarding ownership we can refer to
Central Registries.

Old November 22nd 04, 08:51 PM
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

"JSS" > wrote in message
> I'm looking at buying an Explorer from a local dealer and would like
> to know if there is anything I need to check before I sign all the
> paperwork. It is the 4x2 with 54k miles and appears to be in good
> shape. They will be replacing the driver side mirror and the
> windshield.
>
> After doing a quick search I haven't found any major problems with the
> model but Like I said it was a quick search. Any suggestions on what I
> should check before it's a done deal.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

Jeff, be advised that the "Sport" is rather squirrley at speeds above 60MPH.
I traded in my 1999 Sport for a new 2002 4 door JUST for that reason!
Other than that I had ZERO trouble with it and really liked it.
Just trips to Las Vegas were a "E" Coupon ride on the 15 freeway at 70 MPH.
It would begin to fishtail on it's own, blown all over the road by gusts of
wind, forget passing a semi at that speed.
For a "Around town" grocery-getter it's fine.