2000 Passat V6 Water Temp

Old April 23rd 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tube Audio[_2_]

Default 2000 Passat V6 Water Temp

Hello

I drove my sisters 2000 VW Passat V6 to work this morning.

I drove about 20 miles in 20 minutes (aver 60mph) all freeway except for a
mile at the beginning and at the end, getting on and off the Freeway.

The outside temp was 56 F.

The water temperature gauge slowly came up; it took about 10 minutes to
reach two lines to the left of center scale (center scale - 190F). I would
have thought that it would reach the full running temp center scale of 190
by this time.

I drove another 10 minutes and the needle stayed in the same position, two
division marks below (to the left) of center scale.

As I exited the freeway the temp and drove about a mile to my office the
temperature increased about half a division mark, now about 1.5 marks below
center.

I don't know if this is correct behavior as this is my first time driving
the car. However I am use to a car coming up to temp a bit faster.

My concern is an open thermostat? The thermostat is a big job on this car,
so I don't want to have it replace unless I am certain.

Any ideas?

Old April 24th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

thermostat maybe?

Old April 24th 09, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

The proper way to test a thermostat would be to measure the valve rise
height in hot water as it reaches operating temperature.

However, you may be able to quickly test by feeling for warm coolant
at the engine outlet hose and measure the temperature at the coolant
sensor site (maybe use a thermocouple type). Not sure how well this
method works. Be careful near moving engine parts.

Old April 24th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Steve W.[_4_]

Tube Audio wrote:
> Hello
>

> I drove my sisters 2000 VW Passat V6 to work this morning.
>

> I drove about 20 miles in 20 minutes (aver 60mph) all freeway except for a
> mile at the beginning and at the end, getting on and off the Freeway.
>

> The outside temp was 56 F.
>

> The water temperature gauge slowly came up; it took about 10 minutes to
> reach two lines to the left of center scale (center scale - 190F). I would
> have thought that it would reach the full running temp center scale of 190
> by this time.
>

> I drove another 10 minutes and the needle stayed in the same position, two
> division marks below (to the left) of center scale.
>

> As I exited the freeway the temp and drove about a mile to my office the
> temperature increased about half a division mark, now about 1.5 marks below
> center.
>

> I don't know if this is correct behavior as this is my first time driving
> the car. However I am use to a car coming up to temp a bit faster.
>

> My concern is an open thermostat? The thermostat is a big job on this car,
> so I don't want to have it replace unless I am certain.
>

> Any ideas?

10 minutes is longer than it should take. I would suspect a stuck
thermostat.

--
Steve W.
Old April 24th 09, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
MasterBlaster

"Tube Audio" wrote:

> I drove my sisters 2000 VW Passat V6 to work this morning.
> The water temperature gauge slowly came up; it took about 10 minutes to
> reach two lines to the left of center scale (center scale - 190F). I would
> have thought that it would reach the full running temp center scale of 190
> by this time.
>
> My concern is an open thermostat?

Check the rad cap too (okay, the *reservoir* cap).
My old Thunderbird's heater core has a tendency to leak, so until I could find the
time to rip the dash apart and replace it, I temporarily wired the rad cap's relief
valve open so it wouldn't build pressure. Contrary to popular belief, it didn't
instantly overheat and boil off all the coolant; in fact it ran so cool that the temp
gauge barely made it 1/8 of the way up the scale (1/2 way is normal). It takes at
least a half hour of driving before the heater really gets going, and even then it
isn't hot, only luke-warm. Just checked my records... I did that "temporary" fix
way back in Oct/02. Damn... I really AM lazy! Anybody want a T-bird?

> The thermostat is a big job on this car, so I don't want to have it replace unless
> I am certain.

Which engine? The VR6, where Autozone says it's on the back of the cylinder head,
at there's only 3 steps to get it off, or the "other" V6, where step 6 in their procedure
is: Place the (hood) lock carrier in the "service position". (Translation: disassemble
the whole frigging front of the car, and yes, I've done that a couple of times).