Leather vs vinyl

Old August 16th 08, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Leather vs vinyl

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:54:27 -0400, bjn > wrote:

>On 12 Aug 2008 20:38:42 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>>4. Leather seats require maintenance. You need to oil them regularly. If
>> you don't, they will crack. If you do, they will last a long time.

>How often is "regularly"? And how long before they crack if you do not
>oil them?

My old E38 was 14 years old when I sold her last year and for the 7 years I had
her I never oiled the seats - washed them twice but never did anything special
and the guy I bought her from told me that all she had was regular servicing and
the occasional wash at the car wash machine.

The guy I sold her to was very impressed with the inside condition but then I
only weigh 16 stone or 225lb and then previous owner was a little bigger than
me.

I suppose if you eat 2 tons of hamburgers etc a year then it might get a bit
worse for wear on the seats.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old August 17th 08, 09:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:16:45 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:54:01 +0100, wrote:
>
>>>IMHO, grey leather is the best of both worlds ... 8

>>Don't tell me you also have a grey car with grey seats and grey window tint and
>>wear a grey suit too!

>Metallic grey 325i with grey leather -- my wife's car, looks pretty good at 6
>yrs. (Both, actually, but the wife is slightly older than 6.)
>
>I gave up wearing suits or ties in 2000, but about 90% of my clothing _is_
>black. And has been, come to think of it, since around 1960, except for those
>years when Uncle Sam selected my wardrobe. 8
>.
>-- Larry

I too gave up wearing suits in 2000 Larry. Reason was that there was a court
case over here regarding the fact that male employees of the Governments "Job
Centre" (where one goes to register as unemployed and apply for benefit)
complained that female workers could where what they wanted to (and some looked
as though they had been digging the garden -sic) male employees had to wear
trousers, shirt and a tie.

The court found in favour of the male employees and upheld the point that males
dress code was change as was female dress code to smart casual unless main
occupation was meeting the public in official capacity.

From that date I never wore a jacket nor a tie - as a teacher my head didn't
like it but over the last 4 years I have seen him in open neck shirt and casual
trousers most of the time.

Jacked the job in last month - not retired - as I decided not to be a circus
clown and jump through hoops just to please some new initiative.....

Old August 18th 08, 12:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:57:26 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>> bjn > wrote:

>> >How often is "regularly"? And how long before they crack if you do
>> >not oil them?

>> Depends a lot on your local climate. If you're in Canada you might never
>> need to do it. If you're in Arizona, you might want to do as often as
>> twice a year.

>> I have seen seats that lasted for years and years without any careful
>> treatment, and some that fell apart after a decade too.

>I wonder if traditional feeding works with current BMW leather - it seems
>to have some form of coating on it which is pretty impervious to liquids.

But they do sell a leather care kit?

I have a Chinese made leather suite and although it has been mentioned that the
Chinese split the hide and treat the sub layers with a plastic I have found the
care kit that came with the furniture is almost exactly the same as was supplied
for my old Rover 800.

Haven't needed to "care" for the new car yet!

Hugh

Old August 19th 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

wrote:

>The guy I sold her to was very impressed with the inside condition but then I
>only weigh 16 stone or 225lb

"Only"?

Old August 19th 08, 08:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 00:20:32 GMT, dizzy > wrote:

wrote:

>>The guy I sold her to was very impressed with the inside condition but then I
>>only weigh 16 stone or 225lb

>"Only"?

Opposed to the 300+ of 90% of the folk I see in Wendy's eating breakfast!