Are my business assumptions correct?

Old April 2nd 21, 07:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
micky

Default Are my business assumptions correct?

Are my business assumptions correct?

I'm trying to get rid of some engine trouble codes, and I need to
install 2 or 4 oxygen sensors. I know I can install one of them, and
if I find a place where I can jack up the car and work underneath, I can
probably do the remaining 2 or 3. I'd prefer to do it myself mostly for
the satisfaction and bragging rights, but also to save money.

However if I fail with 2 or 3 of them, I would take them to a shop to be
installed.

For no special reason except that I think I know how the world works,
I've always felt that if I buy parts and bring them to a shop to be
installed, the owner will make up the loss in profits on selling the
parts with an increased charge for labor, or something, on the theory
that the job takes the same amount of time minus 10 minutes to order the
parts, and he shouldn't be deprived of the normal income.

Is this true?

Is there a difference if the shop's owner has a reputation for being
honest?

Or do honest shops just charge the flat rate for the job and skip the
profit they would have made on the parts?

If I were in their shoes and I felt obliged to do that, I would be irked
by a customer like I might turn out to be, and I might even, I would be
tempted to rush the job, potentially making a mistake. Or to skip
almost optional things like cleaning up great afterwards, or putting the
paper floor mat in front of the driver's seat.
Old April 2nd 21, 08:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski[_3_]

On 4/2/2021 2:25 PM, micky wrote:
> Are my business assumptions correct?
>
> I'm trying to get rid of some engine trouble codes, and I need to
> install 2 or 4 oxygen sensors. I know I can install one of them, and
> if I find a place where I can jack up the car and work underneath, I can
> probably do the remaining 2 or 3. I'd prefer to do it myself mostly for
> the satisfaction and bragging rights, but also to save money.
>
> However if I fail with 2 or 3 of them, I would take them to a shop to be
> installed.
>
> For no special reason except that I think I know how the world works,
> I've always felt that if I buy parts and bring them to a shop to be
> installed, the owner will make up the loss in profits on selling the
> parts with an increased charge for labor, or something, on the theory
> that the job takes the same amount of time minus 10 minutes to order the
> parts, and he shouldn't be deprived of the normal income.
>
> Is this true?
>
> Is there a difference if the shop's owner has a reputation for being
> honest?
>
> Or do honest shops just charge the flat rate for the job and skip the
> profit they would have made on the parts?
>
> If I were in their shoes and I felt obliged to do that, I would be irked
> by a customer like I might turn out to be, and I might even, I would be
> tempted to rush the job, potentially making a mistake. Or to skip
> almost optional things like cleaning up great afterwards, or putting the
> paper floor mat in front of the driver's seat.

Depends on the shop. Is it one you've used before and know the owner?
If so, good chance you can just tell him you wanted to put them in
yourself and could not and need his help. An honest shop will charge
you a fair rate for labor.
Old April 2nd 21, 09:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

micky > wrote:

>I'm trying to get rid of some engine trouble codes, and I need to
>install 2 or 4 oxygen sensors. I know I can install one of them, and
>if I find a place where I can jack up the car and work underneath, I can
>probably do the remaining 2 or 3. I'd prefer to do it myself mostly for
>the satisfaction and bragging rights, but also to save money.

What makes you think the oxygen sensors have anything to do with your
problem? If you're getting errors saying that sensors are out of range,
it might well be because they are accurately measuring an exhaust that
is out of range. Especially if you're seeing more than one.

>For no special reason except that I think I know how the world works,
>I've always felt that if I buy parts and bring them to a shop to be
>installed, the owner will make up the loss in profits on selling the
>parts with an increased charge for labor, or something, on the theory
>that the job takes the same amount of time minus 10 minutes to order the
>parts, and he shouldn't be deprived of the normal income.
>
>Is this true?

If you take O2 sensors to a shop and tell them to replace them, they will
replace them. Depending on how they are feeling that day and if they like
you, you may get a PIA charge for bringing in your own parts and being a
pain in the ass.

This means that if your problem is not bad sensors that you have just
wasted a lot of money, both in the parts you bought unnecessarily and in
the labour you paid them to do unnecessary work.

Replacing the sensors could be trivial or it could be a major pain in
the neck depending on how rusty things are and how well-kept things are.
If the last person that changed the sensors used anti-seize, it will
greatly reduce the work needed.

But before I'd go swapping parts at random, I'd make sure that I knew
what was actually wrong. A shop that is truly honest is likely to
tell you they won't do any work without spending time on a proper diagnosis
first.
--scott

Old April 2nd 21, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tekkie©

On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 14:25:42 -0400, micky posted for all of us to digest...

> Are my business assumptions correct?
>
> I'm trying to get rid of some engine trouble codes, and I need to
> install 2 or 4 oxygen sensors. I know I can install one of them, and
> if I find a place where I can jack up the car and work underneath, I can
> probably do the remaining 2 or 3. I'd prefer to do it myself mostly for
> the satisfaction and bragging rights, but also to save money.
>
> However if I fail with 2 or 3 of them, I would take them to a shop to be
> installed.
>
> For no special reason except that I think I know how the world works,
> I've always felt that if I buy parts and bring them to a shop to be
> installed, the owner will make up the loss in profits on selling the
> parts with an increased charge for labor, or something, on the theory
> that the job takes the same amount of time minus 10 minutes to order the
> parts, and he shouldn't be deprived of the normal income.
>
> Is this true?
>
> Is there a difference if the shop's owner has a reputation for being
> honest?
>
> Or do honest shops just charge the flat rate for the job and skip the
> profit they would have made on the parts?
>
> If I were in their shoes and I felt obliged to do that, I would be irked
> by a customer like I might turn out to be, and I might even, I would be
> tempted to rush the job, potentially making a mistake. Or to skip
> almost optional things like cleaning up great afterwards, or putting the
> paper floor mat in front of the driver's seat.

Depends on the shop. They make a small profit on parts. I am just giving the
other side of the story... What happens if the parts you supply are incorrect,
broken, poor quality, out of specs, what happens then? Are you sure the sensors
are bad? Just asking. Maybe a bad cat or broken wires, misinterpretation of
data. Use OEM or OEM supplier sensors or you may have another set of problems.

They can be in REAL inaccessible places and tough to remove. It depends.

Just like a lawyer would say: It depends.

--
Tekkie
Old April 2nd 21, 10:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Rod Speed[_1_]

"micky" > wrote in message
> Are my business assumptions correct?
>
> I'm trying to get rid of some engine trouble codes, and I need to
> install 2 or 4 oxygen sensors. I know I can install one of them, and
> if I find a place where I can jack up the car and work underneath, I can
> probably do the remaining 2 or 3. I'd prefer to do it myself mostly for
> the satisfaction and bragging rights, but also to save money.
>
> However if I fail with 2 or 3 of them, I would take them to a shop to be
> installed.
>
> For no special reason except that I think I know how the world works,
> I've always felt that if I buy parts and bring them to a shop to be
> installed, the owner will make up the loss in profits on selling the
> parts with an increased charge for labor, or something, on the theory
> that the job takes the same amount of time minus 10 minutes to order the
> parts, and he shouldn't be deprived of the normal income.
>
> Is this true?

It varys with the shop.

> Is there a difference if the shop's owner
> has a reputation for being honest?

Not honest so much as operates that way.

> Or do honest shops just charge the flat rate for the job
> and skip the profit they would have made on the parts?

Some do, some don't.

> If I were in their shoes and I felt obliged to do that, I would be
> irked by a customer like I might turn out to be, and I might even,
> I would be tempted to rush the job, potentially making a mistake.

If they had any sense they wouldn't because that would
stuff their reputation if it went bad because they did that.
But the worst of them don't care about stuff like that.

> Or to skip almost optional things like cleaning up great afterwards,
> or putting the paper floor mat in front of the driver's seat.

That varys even when they supply the parts.

Old April 2nd 21, 10:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Rod Speed[_1_]

micky > wrote

> Are my business assumptions correct?
>
> I'm trying to get rid of some engine trouble codes,
> and I need to install 2 or 4 oxygen sensors.

Its very unlikely that more than one has failed.

Old April 2nd 21, 10:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Rod Speed > wrote:
>micky > wrote
>
>> Are my business assumptions correct?
>>
>> I'm trying to get rid of some engine trouble codes,
>> and I need to install 2 or 4 oxygen sensors.

>Its very unlikely that more than one has failed.

It's very unlikely any of them have failed. I cannot even count the number
of times I have seen cars blowing black smoke out the tailpipe which have
just got new oxygen sensors because the computer was throwing a code saying
the sensor was out of range in the rich direction.

The morons don't bother to figure out why it threw the code, they just swap
out parts at random. They love swapping parts out.
--scott

Old April 2nd 21, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hank Rogers[_4_]

micky wrote:
> Are my business assumptions correct?
>
> I'm trying to get rid of some engine trouble codes, and I need to
> install 2 or 4 oxygen sensors. I know I can install one of them, and
> if I find a place where I can jack up the car and work underneath, I can
> probably do the remaining 2 or 3.

The time honored redneck method is to find a shallow ditch to drive
the car onto. Then, there's room to crawl under it.

In city ghettos, poor folks used to drive one side of the car over
the curb, thus elevating the side you need to access. I (and my
uncle) completely overhauled a 1957 plymouth using this technique.
The lot was steeply sloping and that helped too. We replaced crank
and rod bearings, pistons, rings, seals, etc. But, we did the valve
job in the gravel driveway since it could be done from the top.

Naturally, these are only options if the car is still in somewhat
running condition, or you have lots of neighbors to push the
clunker into position.

Old April 2nd 21, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Peeler[_3_]

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 08:22:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

>> Is this true?

> It varys with the shop.

So much wisdom again in one little senile head, eh, senile Rodent?

More senile "wisdom" from the senile Australian bull**** artist:
"Some things are much harder to do than others."
MID: >

LMAO

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Old April 2nd 21, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hank Rogers[_4_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Rod Speed > wrote:
>> micky > wrote
>>
>>> Are my business assumptions correct?
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get rid of some engine trouble codes,
>>> and I need to install 2 or 4 oxygen sensors.

>> Its very unlikely that more than one has failed.

> It's very unlikely any of them have failed. I cannot even count the number
> of times I have seen cars blowing black smoke out the tailpipe which have
> just got new oxygen sensors because the computer was throwing a code saying
> the sensor was out of range in the rich direction.
>
> The morons don't bother to figure out why it threw the code, they just swap
> out parts at random. They love swapping parts out.
> --scott

When my truck had codes showing all four Oxygen sensors were
suddenly bad, it indeed turned out that the damn computer itself
had failed. The dealer installed a new ecu. It burned out within 2
blocks. They finally installed yet another, but also replaced all
the wires to the O2 sensors. It's still running after 5 years now.

This truck isn't used much, so I think the damn rats probably
chewed up the wires. They ate all the original insulation around
the battery too The dodge ECU couldn't handle the short
circuits. A **** poor electrical design I reckon.

Correct VIN? micky Technology 27 September 19th 17 08:53 PM
Business club, Business leads, New business opportunities elie Driving 0 August 21st 07 08:12 AM
Oil Pressure Assumptions..... Caprice85 Technology 15 March 27th 06 07:34 PM
Which is correct??? Spider Ford Mustang 14 December 7th 04 07:53 AM
New to 4x4s questionable assumptions Spooky 4x4 1 September 19th 04 10:58 PM