About how many miles???

Old August 18th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Darby[_3_]

Default About how many miles???

Hi guys and gals, I have a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd V6. I was wondering
AROUND how many miles should I be getting to a tank full of gas???? I have
been using the little milage gauge and it tells me i'm only getting around
200 miles per tank. That seems pretty low to me and was wondering if this is
correct. Thanks!

Old August 18th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Darby OGill

"Darby" > wrote in message
> Hi guys and gals, I have a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd V6. I was wondering
> AROUND how many miles should I be getting to a tank full of gas???? I have
> been using the little milage gauge and it tells me i'm only getting around
> 200 miles per tank. That seems pretty low to me and was wondering if this
> is correct. Thanks!

Low is subjective.

1. fill up tank with gasoline.
2. look at odometer, note miles.
3.drive till needing more fuel. you don't have to do this all at once.
4. fill up tank with gasoline, note amount of gallons of fuel pumped.
5.look at odometer. note miles.
6.subtract fisrt miles number from this second miles number to obtain
difference.(miles driven)
7.divide number of miles driven by number of gallons pumped to derive miles
per gallon. (MPG)
8.multiply MPG by capacity of fuel tank in gallons. Check your owners manual
for tank capacity.

Old August 18th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

Hard to respond when you say nothing about how and where you are
driving.

Old August 19th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"Big Shoe" > wrote in message
> Hard to respond when you say nothing about how and where you are
> driving.
>
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 00:40:32 -0500, "Darby" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi guys and gals, I have a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd V6. I was wondering
> >AROUND how many miles should I be getting to a tank full of gas???? I

have
> >been using the little milage gauge and it tells me i'm only getting

around
> >200 miles per tank. That seems pretty low to me and was wondering if this

is
> >correct. Thanks!

Well, if I don't put my '91 in 4WD I'll usually begin to feel an urgent need
to get gas at about 230 miles. That's with some highway and some dirt roads
and some city driving. I think I get around 16 mpg usually but I gave up
checking it years ago. I have a light foot except when getting on the
freeway. It gets put in 4WD on nearly every tankful.