Locking gas cap

Old June 10th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
/\\rtful ]\)odger[_6_]

Default Locking gas cap

Well with gas prices up the way they are, I have had some gas mysteriously
evaporating from my tank.
I'm going to purchase a locking gas cap for my 88 GT ( I haven't had to do
this since the big crises of the 70s) and
I am faced with choices. There are Standard, Pre-vent and Pre-release styles
and Golly I don't know which one I need
or if it makes a difference at all. Can somebody enlighten me?

Old June 14th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

I was going to buy one and the guys at Napa told me that it's better to lose
some gas than to have someone punch a hole in your gas tank, They said 3
customers had that happen in the last 2 weeks.

ink.net...

Old June 15th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 12:18:53 GMT, "/\\rtful ]\)odger" >
wrote:

>Well with gas prices up the way they are, I have had some gas mysteriously
>evaporating from my tank.
>I'm going to purchase a locking gas cap for my 88 GT ( I haven't had to do
>this since the big crises of the 70s) and
>I am faced with choices. There are Standard, Pre-vent and Pre-release styles
>and Golly I don't know which one I need
>or if it makes a difference at all. Can somebody enlighten me?

As nospam pointed out, during the crunch of the 70s, I had to do
investigations on so many cars with punctures tanks it was insane. All
it took was an ice pick. Once they had as much as they wanted, the
remained was left to pour onto the ground.

That said, if your car is garaged and you are only out and about in
the daytime to places like the grocery, I'd go ahead and put a locking
cap on. The vast majority of thefts occured at night and to cars left
out. If you are at the grocery, etc, during the day, it's very
unlikely that someone will be crawing under the car and punching a
hole to steal gas, or to siphon gas.

As for which to get, you should be able to find one which matches the
stock cap.

727 Torqueflite locking up [email protected] Technology 3 July 6th 06 10:52 PM
car locking on it own Mike Oxbig VW water cooled 1 January 3rd 06 08:27 AM
Looking for locking hubs... OldNAPCO 4x4 0 October 20th 05 10:16 PM
Locking gas cap E46 Sammy BMW 9 September 6th 05 03:33 AM
Locking A4 Darwin McCullough Audi 4 January 17th 05 03:05 PM