Studdable vs studded or how-do-we-cope-in-minnessotta

Old April 15th 11, 10:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
AD[_2_]

Default Studdable vs studded or how-do-we-cope-in-minnessotta

I've noticed none of the tires offered on tirerack are factory
studded.

Is that tirerack specific or you could not get factory studded tires
in the US of A?

A ploy to keep hakkapeliitta 7 out of the US is suspected
Old April 15th 11, 08:15 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
D. LaCourse

On 2011-04-15 05:00:00 -0400, AD > said:

> I've noticed none of the tires offered on tirerack are factory
> studded.
>
> Is that tirerack specific or you could not get factory studded tires
> in the US of A?
>
> A ploy to keep hakkapeliitta 7 out of the US is suspected

Every snow tire I have ever bought with studs, the tire dealer
installed the studs. When I bought Hakkas back in the 80s (before
anyone knew about them), they arrived at my home with a box full of
studs. A local dealer installed them for me. He asked if I lived on a
mountain. When I replied no, he said, "You can now!" I used studded
Hakkas back in the 80s for TSD rallies when there was snow/ice on the
roads, and ice racing on Newfound Lake in NH. Great tires.

Dave
RS6

Old April 18th 11, 08:44 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
AD[_2_]

On Apr 15, 7:15*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-04-15 05:00:00 -0400, AD > said:
>
> > I've noticed none of the tires offered on tirerack are factory
> > studded.

> > Is that tirerack specific or you could not get factory studded tires
> > in the US of A?

> > A ploy to keep hakkapeliitta 7 out of the US is suspected

> Every snow tire I have ever bought with studs, the tire dealer
> installed the studs. *When I bought Hakkas back in the 80s (before
> anyone knew about them), they arrived at my home with a box full of
> studs. *A local dealer installed them for me. *He asked if I lived on a
> mountain. *When I replied no, he said, "You can now!" *I used studded
> Hakkas back in the 80s for TSD rallies when there was snow/ice on the
> roads, and ice racing on Newfound Lake in NH. *Great tires.

I know. I run summer hakkas on my car
since in the bundocks I live in there is no direzza z1 star spec,
re-11s or ad08s.
Heck, there is not even ecsta xs sold around here

Btw Hakka is their summer tire line.
hakkapeliitta is their winter tire line and the lesser all season
trash known as W+ (and sold as the winter tire here)
is just nokian W+ :-)

I wonder how uniformly you could stud tires at home. I could be
mistaken but I suspect stud retention
wouldn't be all that good.
Old April 18th 11, 01:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 11-04-15 05:00 AM, AD wrote:
> I've noticed none of the tires offered on tirerack are factory
> studded.
>
> Is that tirerack specific or you could not get factory studded tires
> in the US of A?
>
> A ploy to keep hakkapeliitta 7 out of the US is suspected

Here in Canada, studs are illegal in various provinces, most notably
Ontario. They are highly discouraged elsewhere too -- strict rules about
where you can run them, and when you have to take them off.

It's an old superstition about these things tearing up the road, from a
study back in the 70's. Today's studded tires are miles ahead of those
ones, but the superstition remains. Scandanavians use it all of the time.

Yousuf Khan
Old April 18th 11, 01:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
D. LaCourse

Old April 18th 11, 01:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
D. LaCourse

On 2011-04-18 03:44:43 -0400, AD > said:

> Btw Hakka is their summer tire line.
> hakkapeliitta is their winter tire line and the lesser all season
> trash known as W+ (and sold as the winter tire here)
> is just nokian W+ :-)

d;o) "Hakka" is an abbreviation for Hakkapeliitta. Hakkas are made by
Nokia. My friends and I have called them Hakkas since we first
discovered them in the mid 80s.

Dave
RS6

Old April 18th 11, 04:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
Anton Success

On Apr 18, 3:21*pm, Yousuf Khan > wrote:
> On 11-04-15 05:00 AM, AD wrote:
>
> > I've noticed none of the tires offered on tirerack are factory
> > studded.

> > Is that tirerack specific or you could not get factory studded tires
> > in the US of A?

> > A ploy to keep hakkapeliitta 7 out of the US is suspected

> Here in Canada, studs are illegal in various provinces, most notably
> Ontario. They are highly discouraged elsewhere too -- strict rules about
> where you can run them, and when you have to take them off.
>
> It's an old superstition about these things tearing up the road, from a
> study back in the 70's. Today's studded tires are miles ahead of those
> ones, but the superstition remains. Scandanavians use it all of the time.

I think it's not the new ones being better than the old ones.
It's the superstitious idiots leaving the gene pool off an iced cliff
on studless.
Old April 18th 11, 06:43 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 18/04/2011 8:38 AM, D. LaCourse wrote:
> On 2011-04-18 03:44:43 -0400, AD > said:
>>

>> Btw Hakka is their summer tire line.
>> hakkapeliitta is their winter tire line and the lesser all season
>> trash known as W+ (and sold as the winter tire here)
>> is just nokian W+ :-)

> d;o) "Hakka" is an abbreviation for Hakkapeliitta. Hakkas are made by
> Nokia. My friends and I have called them Hakkas since we first
> discovered them in the mid 80s.

Actually they're made by "Nokian" not Nokia. At one time they were the
same company, but Nokia spun off their tire division after deciding to
concentrate on cellphones.

Yousuf Khan
Old April 18th 11, 10:08 PM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
D. LaCourse

On 2011-04-18 13:43:03 -0400, Yousuf Khan > said:

> On 18/04/2011 8:38 AM, D. LaCourse wrote:
>> On 2011-04-18 03:44:43 -0400, AD > said:
>>>

>>> Btw Hakka is their summer tire line.
>>> hakkapeliitta is their winter tire line and the lesser all season
>>> trash known as W+ (and sold as the winter tire here)
>>> is just nokian W+ :-)

>> d;o) "Hakka" is an abbreviation for Hakkapeliitta. Hakkas are made by
>> Nokia. My friends and I have called them Hakkas since we first
>> discovered them in the mid 80s.

> Actually they're made by "Nokian" not Nokia. At one time they were the
> same company, but Nokia spun off their tire division after deciding to
> concentrate on cellphones.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Way, way back in the early 80s, there was only one place in the States
to buy Hakkas (afaik), and that was an import tire store in up-state
NY. They were called Nokia Hakkapeliittas. Whether or not the company
was Nokian, I have no idea. But, Nokia was on each tire. There were
no cell phones then. It was a better time than today.

At the time I was a member of a Lutheran Church that was populated
mostly by Finnish Americans. They called them "Nokias". <shrug of
shoulders>

Dave
RS6

Old April 19th 11, 07:26 AM posted to alt.autos.audi,alt.autos.subaru
AD[_2_]

On Apr 19, 12:08*am, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-04-18 13:43:03 -0400, Yousuf Khan > said:

> >> d;o) "Hakka" is an abbreviation for Hakkapeliitta. Hakkas are made by
> >> Nokia. My friends and I have called them Hakkas since we first
> >> discovered them in the mid 80s.

> > Actually they're made by "Nokian" not Nokia. At one time they were the
> > same company, but Nokia spun off their tire division after deciding to
> > concentrate on cellphones.

> > * *Yousuf Khan

> Way, way back in the early 80s, there was only one place in the States
> to buy Hakkas (afaik), and that was an import tire store in up-state
> NY. *They were called Nokia Hakkapeliittas. *Whether or not the company

They are still called Hakkapeliittas and are on their 7th iteration,
typically edging up
Xi North 2 in tests, if only by a slightest of margins. Tests claim
tractor-like snow plowing qualities.

The french might just catch up in the 3rd installment
if they just relocate their test facilities further north where they
could actually get some deep snow reliably :^)))))))

Though given that finns have been finessing their act since the 30s
frenchmen have some homework to do

And then there is continental breathing on the necks of the two with
the reportedly superior braking
in most conditions...