Beeps on startup

Old July 16th 09, 10:36 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Paul Dhuse

Default Beeps on startup

Hi all,

My 1998 US spec A4 V6 Quattro beeped at me this morning when I started
the car.

I turned the key, the engine started, and idled, and then 3 longish
beeps sounded. It didn't happen the next time I started the car. I
didn't drive the car yesterday, so it had been sitting for two days.
And it ran just fine.

I've checked the manual and big service manual and I can't seem to find
any mention of beeping.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old July 17th 09, 06:20 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tom E

"Paul Dhuse" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My 1998 US spec A4 V6 Quattro beeped at me this morning when I started the
> car.
>
> I turned the key, the engine started, and idled, and then 3 longish beeps
> sounded. It didn't happen the next time I started the car. I didn't
> drive the car yesterday, so it had been sitting for two days. And it ran
> just fine.
>
> I've checked the manual and big service manual and I can't seem to find
> any mention of beeping.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

where did the beeps come from...horn, stereo, alarm speaker ???

Old July 17th 09, 08:02 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tom E

"Paul Dhuse" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My 1998 US spec A4 V6 Quattro beeped at me this morning when I started the
> car.
>
> I turned the key, the engine started, and idled, and then 3 longish beeps
> sounded. It didn't happen the next time I started the car. I didn't
> drive the car yesterday, so it had been sitting for two days. And it ran
> just fine.
>
> I've checked the manual and big service manual and I can't seem to find
> any mention of beeping.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

The auto check control display (middle display) will show a relevant icon
and give 3 warning chimes for either of the following.

1. fault in the brake system
2. coolant level low
3. coolant temp high
4. engine oil low.

Old July 18th 09, 07:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Paul Dhuse

They seemed to come from the instrument panel.

There were no warnings indicated on the instrument panel.

Old July 18th 09, 10:49 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tom E

"Paul Dhuse" > wrote in message
> They seemed to come from the instrument panel.
>
> There were no warnings indicated on the instrument panel.
>
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 05:20:47 UTC, "Tom E" > wrote:
>

>> "Paul Dhuse" > wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > My 1998 US spec A4 V6 Quattro beeped at me this morning when I started
>> > the
>> > car.
>> >
>> > I turned the key, the engine started, and idled, and then 3 longish
>> > beeps
>> > sounded. It didn't happen the next time I started the car. I didn't
>> > drive the car yesterday, so it had been sitting for two days. And it
>> > ran
>> > just fine.
>> >
>> > I've checked the manual and big service manual and I can't seem to find
>> > any mention of beeping.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> where did the beeps come from...horn, stereo, alarm speaker ???
>>

> --

see my second post, I had a faulty coolant reservoir float and that would
occasionally give a warning beep when the water level was OK (at MAX level)
BUT it also showed the icon on the dash. I am surprised you are not getting
an icon up of one sort or another.

Old July 18th 09, 01:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

When you first turn the ign on, before cranking, do you see the Oil light,
ABS light and Brake light come on?
I am thinking it is an ABS problem sound.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

news

Old July 18th 09, 09:25 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Yep I just listened to a 1999 Audi A6 with a bad ABS module.
3 long beeps after the engine is running, but the lights blink and stay on.

Now with the remanned ABS module things are nice and quiet again.

Yours might be on the way out so you have received warning! ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old July 20th 09, 04:06 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Paul Dhuse

I don't see any other warning lights at all. Just the normal light up on
startup.

Would an ABS problem show up in a full diagnostic scan? I've got the
VAGCOM connector, etc.

I'll have to give it a try.

Old July 20th 09, 01:55 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Yes so an autoscan and see if you can also connect to the ABS module.
Of course if the beeping is not occuring at every start up, there may be any
faults found! 8^o

Old July 20th 09, 06:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Thompson

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Paul Dhuse wrote:

> I don't see any other warning lights at all. Just the normal light up on
> startup.

I archived this post from February 2007 from Richard Goulding, which may
or may not be useful to you:

"I had the same problem on my A4.

Four beeps from the back somewhere. It is the battery backup on the alarm
telling you it's dying. If you scan with VAG-COM there will be an error
stating such. Eventually, it will stop beeping but it won't 'fix' itself.
The code will still be there. If you clear the code it will start beeping
again for a while.

I just left it until it stopped beeping and forgot about. It doesn't
impede the car in anyway other than if the main battery is disconnected
the alarm won't continue to sound (and probably something more)."

-Steve

3 series of FIVE BEEPS mrbarnard Ford Mustang 1 July 14th 08 01:01 AM
5 beeps Steve[_54_] Mazda 3 June 1st 08 10:48 PM
2000 A4 - Four Beeps Marcus Redd Audi 11 February 10th 07 12:30 AM
2000 A4 - Four Beeps Limahl Audi 0 February 9th 07 10:10 PM
4 beeps ? me Audi 4 May 7th 05 08:55 PM