Hot August Nights

Old August 8th 04, 09:31 PM
Tom Crabtree

Default Hot August Nights

Just back in from Hot August Nights in Reno, NV.
What a show. Tons of rods, muscles cars, exotics, you name it, it was
there. More cars and more people than you could shake a stick at.
Parking was atrocious, but there was off site parking and bus service to
all the big gatherings.
Biggest surprise (and disappointment) was seeing more than a few classic
'Vettes (late 50's early 60's) with LS1 & LS4 engines in them. There
was even a '54 with such a transplant. I realize the newer engines are
more civilized and it's possible that at least some of these cars
*might* have been kits or ex-drag cars, but still! WTF are these people
thinking? It's a sin.
*sigh*
Other than that, what a show. Can't wait until next year.

TomC
Lurker

Old August 8th 04, 10:27 PM

'Biggest surprise (and disappointment) was seeing more than a few
classic 'Vettes (late 50's early 60's) with LS1 & LS4 engines in them.
There was even a '54 with such a transplant. I realize the newer engines
are more civilized and it's possible that at least some of these cars
*might* have been kits or ex-drag cars, but still! WTF are these people
thinking? It's a sin.
*sigh*

ME: Look at it this way, if you had a late 50/early 60 which wasnt all
original to begin with , and needed another motor...would you pop for
another 283 or 327 ...or if you had the money, would you spend a little
more for the latest technological vette motor which really delivers on
h.p./tq , and is a true work of art !?? The answer is an easy one
isnt it ?

Old August 9th 04, 12:49 AM
Dr.HaŁ0nfire$

Tom Crabtree wrote:
>> Sorry Dave.
>> A sin is a sin is a sin.
>> If you have enough money to put 40 coats of lacquer on flawless glass
>> work, gosh knows how many thousands of dollars worth of chrome
>> plating and corinthian leather interior, there's no excuse.
>> If you want a new Corvette, go buy one. Don't pervert a classic.

Well since he's perverted everything else he may as well fill his boots.

--
My IMPROVED website now on my server @ http://earthnet.myftp.org
It's a must-see!
Old August 9th 04, 02:19 PM
Bob G.

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:00:47 -0700, Tom Crabtree >
wrote:

>Sorry Dave.
>A sin is a sin is a sin.
>If you have enough money to put 40 coats of lacquer on flawless glass
>work, gosh knows how many thousands of dollars worth of chrome plating
>and corinthian leather interior, there's no excuse.
>If you want a new Corvette, go buy one. Don't pervert a classic.

I can not agree with you on preserving a car just because it is an
older Corvette.... I personally would love to have a C1 sitting on
a modern frame with modern brakes and suspension with a Modern
powerful fuel efficient engine under the hood ...best of both worlds..
Great L:looks with all the advantages of a new car...without the
depreciation factor ...

My opinion of "most" survivor Corvettes is about the same...
Just do not see how I could keep one in that condition..
I understand the need for them BUT NOT IN MY GARAGE...

Bob Griffiths
68 SS 396 Chevelle (far from stock)
64 & 72 Corvette Convertibles
76 79 & 95 Corvette Coupes..
Old August 9th 04, 06:03 PM

'Sorry Dave.
A sin is a sin is a sin.'

ME: But...this isnt in keeping with the all too familiar cultural
philosophy of being Tolerant and UNbiggoted now is it ?! Youre supposed
to see absolutely nothing wrong in anything anymore.

'If you want a new Corvette, go buy one. Don't pervert a classic.'

ME: Maybe they dont 'want' a new Corvette ; maybe they just want the
latest modern Vette motor. Youre supposed to be saying something like
:'To each his own' arnt you ???

'Shut up Dave!
T'

ME: Then dont respond to my reply.

Old August 9th 04, 06:08 PM

'I can not agree with you on preserving a car just because it is an
older Corvette.... =A0 =A0 I personally would love to have a C1 sitting
on a modern frame with modern brakes and suspension with a Modern
powerful fuel efficient engine under the hood ...best of both worlds..
Great L:looks with all the advantages of a new car...without the
depreciation factor'

ME: This choice of owning a vette and doing what you want to do with
it, falls under the realm of 'Freedom' of ownership ; some like
modified , some like all original, some like a bit of both, etc....
this is a prize example of something to be tolerant on --- unlike
degrading Law Enforcement because you can go as fast as you want on the
streets and becaus you dont want to obey the traffic laws which are for
all. Do u get it now Diode and Company ???

Old August 10th 04, 12:35 AM
fred

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:31:28 -0700, Tom Crabtree >
wrote:

>Just back in from Hot August Nights in Reno, NV.
>What a show. Tons of rods, muscles cars, exotics, you name it, it was
>there. More cars and more people than you could shake a stick at.
>Parking was atrocious, but there was off site parking and bus service to
>all the big gatherings.
>Biggest surprise (and disappointment) was seeing more than a few classic
>'Vettes (late 50's early 60's) with LS1 & LS4 engines in them. There
>was even a '54 with such a transplant. I realize the newer engines are
>more civilized and it's possible that at least some of these cars
>*might* have been kits or ex-drag cars, but still! WTF are these people
>thinking? It's a sin.
>*sigh*
>Other than that, what a show. Can't wait until next year.
>
>TomC
>Lurker

I hope to post some pics, includeing some 'vettes from HAN 2004 later
this week in the alt.binaries.automobile.pictures and
alt.binaries.pictures.auto groups I'll let you know.

Fred