My new long term project is here

Old February 14th 05, 02:03 AM
Mike64Bug

Default My new long term project is here

Well, my "new" long term project has arrived. Actually, it's been
here for about a month. Right after it got here, winter finally
arrived so I haven't had a chance to look it over much. It's an
"early" '55 Beetle. It needs pretty much ALL of those highly sought
after "55 only" parts which will make it a somewhat ambitious...uhhh
....expensive...project. I'm not looking to make this a 100 point
show car so I'll probably live with some compromises. The back of
the car had been hit and repaired consequently it no longer has its
W decklid, "H" apron and '55 only taillights. Ouch. On the good side,
the car is amazingly rust free. The pan is really clean and solid
as are the heater channels. Not a flake of rust anywhere. All four
fenders are beat up and I'm not sure how restorable a couple of them
might be. All of the chrome is shot, door handles, hub caps, vent
window frames, etc. The front axle is bent, the trunk lid has been
hit on the handle in typical VW fashion. (more metal work) I guess
I'm going to have to practice up on sheet metal welding and hammer and
dolly work. I have already found and purchased a correct '50-'54
W decklid and a set of '55 only taillights.

If anyone would like to help out, the next items on my "need to find"
list are a correct rear "H" apron and rear dimpled/beaded fenders.

One curious note. The car is white which is not a '54/'55 color.
The original Polar Silver shows through in spots but this car was,
at some point, completely disassembled and painted white. And I do
mean completely.

Wish me luck and I'll be posting pics as the work progresses. (slowly...)

http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55-4

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old February 14th 05, 02:23 AM
Randall Brink

You are very lucky, indeed, and best of luck. These Beetles are getting so
rare, that we rarely hear of one. 1955 was a very good year.

Randall Brink, d/o/b 1955

--
Randall Brink
Author

1970 VW Type 1
1973 Mercedes-Benz W115 240D
k.net...

Old February 14th 05, 02:25 AM
Mike64Bug

http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55-4.jpg

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old February 14th 05, 03:22 AM
Shag

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:25:45 GMT, "Mike64Bug"
> wrote:

>http://home.earthlink.net/~mfkoch/55-4.jpg

Sheeeeit. That's a daily driver / trail bruiser after $500 worth of
tires, a good battery, a few sawsall blades, and a come-a-long. You
go, dude!!!!1!!!one!!!!

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old February 14th 05, 04:12 AM
Mike64Bug

The engine in it is from a '59 and it surprisingly runs quite strong. I suspect it will at least need some minor
rebuilding. I haven't checked the compression yet. It runs as well as my '64 which is in need of a rebuild also. It
even drives pretty well (straight) even though the front axle is bent back about and inch on the drive side.

I think I'll pass on the sawzall and knobby tires for now. Besides, a large part of the ramva crowd would have me
castrated. )

--
>>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle
'55 semaphore Beetle

Old February 16th 05, 12:13 AM
cloud8

"Mike64Bug" > wrote in news:t6TPd.12141
:

Mike, that's a beauty! Good luck with her.

--
Bill Merrill
Arlington, Mass.