406 Twin Turbo

Old February 4th 13, 05:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

Default 406 Twin Turbo

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> I think alot of it has to do with ego and bragging rights by having
>> insane
>> amounts of hp and tq. Such a vette would be ideal for the drag strip so
>> long as it had a cage , or, for short bursts of acceleration merging
>> onto
>> the Interstate . For speeds in upwards of 140 mph which this vette is
>> capable of, youd need a safe off-road place like an airport or a long
>> deserted road that is in good shape , relatively straight , with Spotters
>> to make sure no one else is around. In short, they are good for the
>> 'wow'
>> factor as at car shows, etc... but they arent too terribly practical .
>> If
>> tuned well, they make fine around town cars with few problems arising if
>> any. I wouldnt mind borrowing something like that for a couple hours
>> just
>> to experience the acceleration..but thats about it.
>>

>> Tell us what "lot of people" equates to in numbers. Would 10/15 out of
>> say
>> 30,000 be lots of people to you? Even at the car shows I see very few if
>> any
>> that pump out that kind of HP. As I told you before I have friends that
>> have
>> 7 second cars and few if any drive them on the street, well, one does but
>> he's driven that type of car all his driving life. My nephew drives a 502
>> CID double shot '66 Impala from the trailer to the strip and a few times
>> up
>> and down the side road by his house in the country but has little or no
>> reason to be getting onto an Interstate.
>>

> I think it depends on where you live and how much highway you have to
> speed on between destinations - out here in the wide open states (CA,
> NV, AZ, UT, west TX, MT, etc.) I see lots of folks hopping up cars for
> daily freeway driving all the time...it's just a hobby. My officemates
> son just bought seriously vicious older vintage Camaro that he commutes
> in between here and V-ville.
>
> Heading through Death Valley wide open for Vegas is a weekend
> sport...and I passed a passle of streetable Vettes heading home from a
> track day at Willow Springs just yesterday afternoon. Wouldn't see
> anything lake that back east where I've lived in the past, and certainly
> not at this time of year...
>
> ...then again, I've also been stuck on the 405 in my Z06 sitting next to
> Maseratis and Ferraris all doing 25 mph for hours/miles.
>
> --
> - Rufus
>
> I guess I really don't understand. My 2.2 ltr 240 hp S 2000 tops out at
> around 150 and is a decent performer by most standards. I have run 130 on
> I16 once and that was enough. Must be ego to want 1200 hp and 200 mph.
> The 454 C3 I had years ago would run hot at 130, but even then the top
> end on that with 3.05 rear (I think that was what it was) was about 140.

In Europe I saw many old Coopers (the real ones) that would pass you well
over 100, that's not only a hobby over there, it's a cult. As a whole I see
very few hot cars on the road, many more with $25,000 worth of sound
equipment or 3,000 pounds of hydraulics. I live in the mid-west where it is
so flat I can see houses 8/10 miles away so there is no loss of those that
think those long straight roads were made for drag racing. Milan to the
north and Norwalk to the south and many more small weekend tracks that have
closed because of insurance costs. Still go to Eldora to watch the NASCAR
guys shake it up on Tony's track and MIS is 30 minutes away. Lots of late
model sprint cars and WoO competition all around here.

Oh to be 71 again.......... ;-)

Old February 5th 13, 04:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:
> [...]

>> end on that with 3.05 rear (I think that was what it was) was about 140.
>> I guess at 71 I am slowing down.
>>

> In Europe I saw many old Coopers (the real ones) that would pass you well
> over 100, that's not only a hobby over there, it's a cult. As a whole I see
> very few hot cars on the road, many more with $25,000 worth of sound
> equipment or 3,000 pounds of hydraulics. I live in the mid-west where it is
> so flat I can see houses 8/10 miles away so there is no loss of those that
> think those long straight roads were made for drag racing. Milan to the
> north and Norwalk to the south and many more small weekend tracks that have
> closed because of insurance costs. Still go to Eldora to watch the NASCAR
> guys shake it up on Tony's track and MIS is 30 minutes away. Lots of late
> model sprint cars and WoO competition all around here.

We used to have weekend drags on a closed taxiway at our local airport.
Lots of racers here - my young neighbor races his Miata down at Willow
Springs regularly, and then there's the Spring Mountain racing
school/resort over in Parhump. I even work with a guy that builds and
races everything from closed track to off-road, instructs, and has been
doing it for years...I got my pilot's license alongside a funny car
driver down in Pomona.

Having grown up in the midwest where most things fun will get you in
trouble I get why some might not understand. But those whom do are in
plenty supply and at all ages. You only just have to go find them.

--
- Rufus
Old February 5th 13, 09:46 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" wrote in message .. .

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> [...]

> end on that with 3.05 rear (I think that was what it was) was about 140.
> I guess at 71 I am slowing down.

In Europe I saw many old Coopers (the real ones) that would pass you well
over 100, that's not only a hobby over there, it's a cult. As a whole I see
very few hot cars on the road, many more with $25,000 worth of sound
equipment or 3,000 pounds of hydraulics. I live in the mid-west where it is
so flat I can see houses 8/10 miles away so there is no loss of those that
think those long straight roads were made for drag racing. Milan to the
north and Norwalk to the south and many more small weekend tracks that have
closed because of insurance costs. Still go to Eldora to watch the NASCAR
guys shake it up on Tony's track and MIS is 30 minutes away. Lots of late
model sprint cars and WoO competition all around here.

Yeah! Every day is a gift. I spent a very enjoyable tour tour in the UK in
early 80s. Lots of interesting cars -- Lotus 7s plenty of real Minis. Ford
had some interesting small cars at that time too which you never saw in the
States. In fact, emissions controls were unheard of -- the Mazda 2 ltr I
drove had a choke and was right hand drive 5 speed. US cars were really too
big, except on the motorway.

Old February 5th 13, 11:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "Dad" wrote in message
> .. .
>

> In Europe I saw many old Coopers (the real ones) that would pass you well
> over 100, that's not only a hobby over there, it's a cult. As a whole I
> see
> very few hot cars on the road, many more with $25,000 worth of sound
> equipment or 3,000 pounds of hydraulics. I live in the mid-west where it
> is
> so flat I can see houses 8/10 miles away so there is no loss of those that
> think those long straight roads were made for drag racing. Milan to the
> north and Norwalk to the south and many more small weekend tracks that
> have
> closed because of insurance costs. Still go to Eldora to watch the NASCAR
> guys shake it up on Tony's track and MIS is 30 minutes away. Lots of late
> model sprint cars and WoO competition all around here.
>
> Oh to be 71 again.......... ;-)
> Yeah! Every day is a gift. I spent a very enjoyable tour tour in the UK
> in early 80s. Lots of interesting cars -- Lotus 7s plenty of real Minis.
> Ford had some interesting small cars at that time too which you never saw
> in the States. In fact, emissions controls were unheard of -- the Mazda 2
> ltr I drove had a choke and was right hand drive 5 speed. US cars were
> really too big, except on the motorway.

They changed the name from Carriage Way when I was there. ;-))

The most vehicles I saw there from the USA were dually ton Chevrolet
pickups.

I saw a high speed wreck just north of London on the M1 and they were
picking up the remains by hand, the biggest part I saw was the dash, never
saw the engine.

Fun place, may go back if time allows.