Audi body design errors

Old February 24th 11, 11:54 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

Default Audi body design errors

On Feb 23, 3:47*am, laurentien > wrote:
> On Feb 18, 12:18*pm, AD > wrote:
>

> > On Feb 18, 1:23*am, laurentien > wrote:

> > > Dear folks,

> > > yesterday I took my very reliable Audi 80 for some service at the Audi
> > > dealer an did try the A5 and A7 five door cars.

> > > Altough these cars look very nice and the interior trim is as good as
> > > it gets with even an ergonomic control panel (at last), those two cars
> > > are now plagued by body design errors which you do not find on the A4
> > > and A6 cars.

> > > They have increased the roof curve to make it look even sleeker and
> > > this results in the problem that a tall man (like myself) cannot sit
> > > on the back seats. Worst, the design have made the back door window
> > > even more slanted towards the front making it very difficult to climb
> > > in and out of the car.

> > > I would strongly suggest to Audi that they do redesign their A5 and A7
> > > roof line in order for tall adults to sit in the back.

> > I do not believe these two are designed with your stated purpose in
> > mind.
> > What prevents you from going the A6 or A8 route?

> Question of preference and as a client my choice is important.
> I am considering the A6 but I find the hatchback more convenient.
> I do prefer the A5 five door designs as long as they can fit adults in
> all four main seats.
> Remember the Saab 9000, much more practical then its sister car the
> Lancia Thema.
>
> I may settle for the Citroen C5 next time.

Since you can get C5 I assume you are in the market where A6 is
offered in a hatch trim also.
I'd sooner buy a station wagon than a hatch. It seems to me neither
fish nor fowl.
M6 is one possible exception, but it's a car on stilts so it's not
really a hatch you see.
Old February 25th 11, 12:01 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Feb 23, 3:43*am, laurentien > wrote:
> On Feb 22, 4:33*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
>

> > On 2011-02-18 04:23:25 -0500, laurentien > said:

> > > Dear folks,

> > > yesterday I took my very reliable Audi 80 for some service at the Audi
> > > dealer an did try the A5 and A7 five door cars.

> > > Altough these cars look very nice and the interior trim is as good as
> > > it gets with even an ergonomic control panel (at last), those two cars
> > > are now plagued by body design errors which you do not find on the A4
> > > and A6 cars.

> > > They have increased the roof curve to make it look even sleeker and
> > > this results in the problem that a tall man (like myself) cannot sit
> > > on the back seats. Worst, the design have made the back door window
> > > even more slanted towards the front making it very difficult to climb
> > > in and out of the car.

> > > I would strongly suggest to Audi that they do redesign their A5 and A7
> > > roof line in order for tall adults to sit in the back.

> > > Bests

> > > LHR

> > They were designed as coupes (even though the A7 is a four door). *Look
> > at MB's E-class coupe and the CLS four-door coupe. *They weren't *
> > designed to carry people for back seat passengers on long trips. *There
> > is no "design errors".

> > Dave
> > RS6

> I have to disagree there.
>
> I am sorry to say that I do not necessarily consider these MB cars
> very well designed.

Where I'm from MB rust through from road chemicals just about as the
cheap frankoitalian
trash that is abundant in that neck of woods. A friend got a 2001
entry level luxury
hatch from alfa romeo & co: spent $1000 in repairs in no time at all
and is cursing
his decision every time he spins his perf winter rubber on snow and
ice:

front wheel drivers are pure trash imho. If it was not for quattro i
would've gotten
a beemer any day over audi.

> I know a lot of coupes out there made to carry tall people in the
> back,
> remember the Audi Coupe ?
>
> It could fit two large adults in excellent seats at the back.
> Peugeot has its 406 and 407 coupes able to carry people in the back,
> otherwise, they should call these car 2+2.
>
> Then, I like to buy five door versions of cars being more practical
> and having a nice shape,
> like the Citroen C5 for example. But they have to be able to fit four
> tall adults.

Yeah, you need to buy that french bucket of bolts to appreciate the
german engineering.
Assuming you have enough patience to disassemble half the car when you
need to change
headlight or taillight bulbs that contraption will rust through in 5
years and maybe by
then you'd take another look at the durable goods from germany.
Old February 25th 11, 02:56 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-02-24 18:01:59 -0500, AD > said:

> On Feb 23, 3:43*am, laurentien > wrote:

> 7

>>> They were designed as coupes (even though the A7 is a four door). *Lo

> ok
>>> at MB's E-class coupe and the CLS four-door coupe. *They weren't *
>>> designed to carry people for back seat passengers on long trips. *The

> re
>>> is no "design errors".

>>> Dave
>>> RS6

>> I have to disagree there.
>>
>> I am sorry to say that I do not necessarily consider these MB cars
>> very well designed.
>>

> Where I'm from MB rust through from road chemicals just about as the
> cheap frankoitalian
> trash that is abundant in that neck of woods. A friend got a 2001
> entry level luxury
> hatch from alfa romeo & co: spent $1000 in repairs in no time at all
> and is cursing
> his decision every time he spins his perf winter rubber on snow and
> ice:
>
> front wheel drivers are pure trash imho. If it was not for quattro i
> would've gotten
> a beemer any day over audi.
>
>> I know a lot of coupes out there made to carry tall people in the
>> back,
>> remember the Audi Coupe ?
>>
>> It could fit two large adults in excellent seats at the back.
>> Peugeot has its 406 and 407 coupes able to carry people in the back,
>> otherwise, they should call these car 2+2.
>>
>> Then, I like to buy five door versions of cars being more practical
>> and having a nice shape,
>> like the Citroen C5 for example. But they have to be able to fit four
>> tall adults.
>>

> Yeah, you need to buy that french bucket of bolts to appreciate the
> german engineering.
> Assuming you have enough patience to disassemble half the car when you
> need to change
> headlight or taillight bulbs that contraption will rust through in 5
> years and maybe by
> then you'd take another look at the durable goods from germany.

Hmmmm. The MBs and Audis exported to the U.S. must be different. I
have owned Quattros since 1984 and have never had an issue with rust.
On the contrary, they outlast any of the American crap that is on the
road, and I lived all those years in New England where the roads are
treated with salt and other chems in the winter months. MB is the
same. Never heard of a rust problem.

Dave

Old February 25th 11, 07:09 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Feb 24, 5:56*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-02-24 18:01:59 -0500, AD > said:

> > 7

> > ok

> > re

> >> I have to disagree there.

> >> I am sorry to say that I do not necessarily consider these MB cars
> >> very well designed.

> > Where I'm from MB rust through from road chemicals just about as the
> > cheap frankoitalian
> > trash that is abundant in that neck of woods. A friend got a 2001
> > entry level luxury
> > hatch from alfa romeo & co: spent $1000 in repairs in no time at all
> > and is cursing
> > his decision every time he spins his perf winter rubber on snow and
> > ice:

> > front wheel drivers are pure trash imho. If it was not for quattro i
> > would've gotten
> > a beemer any day over audi.

> >> I know a lot of coupes out there made to carry tall people in the
> >> back,
> >> remember the Audi Coupe ?

> >> It could fit two large adults in excellent seats at the back.
> >> Peugeot has its 406 and 407 coupes able to carry people in the back,
> >> otherwise, they should call these car 2+2.

> >> Then, I like to buy five door versions of cars being more practical
> >> and having a nice shape,
> >> like the Citroen C5 for example. But they have to be able to fit four
> >> tall adults.

> > Yeah, you need to buy that french bucket of bolts to appreciate the
> > german engineering.
> > Assuming you have enough patience to disassemble half the car when you
> > need to change
> > headlight or taillight bulbs that contraption will rust through in 5
> > years and maybe by
> > then you'd take another look at the durable goods from germany.

> Hmmmm. *The MBs and Audis exported to the U.S. must be different. *I
> have owned Quattros since 1984 and have never had an issue with rust. *
> On the contrary, they outlast any of the American crap that is on the
> road, and I lived all those years in New England where the roads are
> treated with salt and other chems in the winter months. *MB is the
> same. *Never heard of a rust problem.

Well, its local specifics I guess: the place I'm from used to have
inexpensive auto repair
hourly rates, consequently, all the totalled crap from western europe
was brought
over cause it was cheap. So those rusted E late model benzes i've seen
could've been in accidents
and repaired.

I haven't seen rusted late model audis but i might not have been
looking close enough.
My body shop guy tells me if it was in an accident audi or not - it
will rust.

It could be also an issue of a demand: benzes and beemers command a
much higher
price in that secondary market while audi is not selling for insane
prices.
Hence the lesser pressure on importers to bring junk with rings on the
hood might be at play.

Anyhow, the import tariffs are about to change and germans would have
to sell their totalled
cars to japs and chinese for scrap prices I guess. Can't wait to see
german scrap yards baloon.
Old February 28th 11, 09:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

I have checked the Citroen C5 today and they have the same problem as
the A5 lowering roof
which prevents tall people to sit in the back.
Many other cars like the new Opel Insigna or even a long list of Asian
cars now have the same problems.

Why is it that those designers do not design cars with proper head
roofs and large back doors for easy access.
Even on my Audi 80, one person did hit her head going through the back
door.

Bests

Old February 28th 11, 09:39 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

On 28 fév, 22:24, ovalking > wrote:
> In article
> >

> laurentien, writes:
> >body design errors

> You can't please all the people all the time unfortunately.

I know but now the trends is that most sedans are moving in the
direction of lacking headroom.
As said, I think now of buying the A6 Avant like my brother in law did
and he loves it since it is also quattro.

LHR

> You don't say what model 80 you have, but most of them have a major body
> design error IMO. Speaking of experience with the B3, the storage area is
> very impractical. It's impossible to get anything long (e.g *bike) inside
> - give me a hatch or estate anyday.
> A 100 Avant in my case :-)

My Audi 80 is a saloon and its booth is much longer than my former BMW
323i.
Moreover, you can fold the rear seats if you need more space, very
convenient and rarely found at that segment.

LHR
Old March 1st 11, 01:07 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Feb 28, 12:35*pm, laurentien > wrote:
> I have checked the Citroen C5 today and they have the same problem as
> the A5 lowering roof
> which prevents tall people to sit in the back.
> Many other cars like the new Opel Insigna or even a long list of Asian
> cars now have the same problems.
>
> Why is it that those designers do not design cars with proper head
> roofs and large back doors for easy access.
> Even on my Audi 80, one person did hit her head going through the back
> door.
>
> Bests
>
> On 25 fév, 00:54, AD > wrote:

> > > Question of preference and as a client my choice is important.
> > > I am considering the A6 but I find the hatchback more convenient.
> > > I do prefer the A5 five door designs as long as they can fit adults in
> > > all four main seats.
> > > Remember the Saab 9000, much more practical then its sister car the
> > > Lancia Thema.

> > > I may settle for the Citroen C5 next time.

> > Since you can get C5 I assume you are in the market where A6 is
> > offered in a hatch trim also.
> > I'd sooner buy a station wagon than a hatch. It seems to me neither
> > fish nor fowl.
> > M6 is one possible exception, but it's a car on stilts so it's not
> > really a hatch you see.

Someone has to buy a forrester. Then, it might be you.
Leave decent cars to smaller folks. We have to have something left for
us in the increasingly guilliverish world.