GT intake manifold crack

Old November 11th 04, 10:07 PM
C Miller

Default GT intake manifold crack

Well the intake manifold cracked on my 98 GT right behind the alternator -
I found a TSB on it and talked to some locals that knew about it too, but
the dealer is looking at the VIN and saying "doesn't apply to your car". -
Can anyone else who has had this problem let me know how they handled it?

Thanks,
Chris
Old November 11th 04, 10:38 PM

Right behind the alternator as in near the t-stat housing? Mine did too...
98 GT. 96-97 vehicles were covered.. but not 98. There is a revised manifold
available for a fairly low price at your Ford dealership. Gotta bite the
bullet & just get it... unless you wanna take 'em to court & potentially
spend more by losing.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

. 125.201...

Old November 12th 04, 03:44 AM
William

C Miller did truly imply:

>Well the intake manifold cracked on my 98 GT right behind the alternator -
>I found a TSB on it and talked to some locals that knew about it too, but
>the dealer is looking at the VIN and saying "doesn't apply to your car". -
>Can anyone else who has had this problem let me know how they handled it?

As I come in from the garage after adding coolant in the final step of
changing the cracked plastic intake manifold on my 96 GT, I see
someone with the same problem.

Seems Ford had an obvious problem with the injected-molded intake
manifolds found on the 4.6 SOHC & DOHC engines,though the singles were
more prone than the doubles.
All of this was supposed to be fixed in 98, and indeed the problem(s)
dramatically declined at that time. But I have heard of a few 98's
using surplus 94-96 (designed) manfiolds, which I discount as false
information. Your 98' car should have the PI heads, which take a
different intake than the 94-96 non-PI heads which leads me to believe
that you in fact do NOT have a surplus 94-96 intake but did receive a
defective one all the same.
In my instance, it cracked on the intake runner for #1 cylinder,
leaning out that chamber and burning the valve. No compression on that
one. I had available another engine, a '98 with less miles than my
'96 (48K vs 74K). The machine shop(s) I went to all wanted nearly
$1600 for a valve job on the aluminum heads on the '96 and I thought
the cost a bit prohibitive just for the valve job as that money did
nothing to fix the cause of the problem, the cracked manifold.
I did look for manifolds, and with the price I received from my Ford
dealer ($650), I would have had nearly $2K wrapped up in just the top
end.
The problem with my recalled manifold (there was indeed a recall,
unbeknown to me) was the time limit of seven years which had slipped
past by a scant 4 months. I was told by the dealer and by other
members of this newsgroup that the manifolds were prone to crack at
the 70K mile mark.

Mine cracked at 71,000.
Old November 12th 04, 04:08 AM
WraithCobra

Your off by one year, the '98 used the same intake as the '96-'97. The PI
heads were a change in '99 and were part of the 35 horsepower gain. The
'94-'95 used the 5.0.
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe

Old November 12th 04, 04:25 AM

As WraithCobra pointed out... PI heads started in 99. Shoot, i wish they
started in 98... I have a 98 . My Ford dealer charged me $140 for the
revised intake manifold.

-Mike

Old November 12th 04, 06:33 AM
JS

Also, the DOHC doesn't use an injected molded intake. Mine's cast aluminum
I believe. Car's a '97 Cobra. I've never heard of a DOHC car cracking its
intake manifold.

JS

Old November 12th 04, 06:35 AM

I never heard of a DOHC car cracking the manifold either... but I don't know
squat .

-Mike

Old November 12th 04, 03:14 PM
Christopher Shea

ford replaced my 96 manifold TWICE for free

the second time they went with one with an aluminum crossover piece

from what i remember though, the tsb did apply only to 96/97 cars. but if
your 98 cracked in the same fashion, you could have a case.

best of luck with it

Old November 12th 04, 06:06 PM
C Miller

>>Well the intake manifold cracked on my 98 GT right behind the
>>alternator - I found a TSB on it and talked to some locals that knew
>>about it too, but the dealer is looking at the VIN and saying "doesn't
>>apply to your car". - Can anyone else who has had this problem let me
>>know how they handled it?

> As I come in from the garage after adding coolant in the final step of
> changing the cracked plastic intake manifold on my 96 GT, I see
> someone with the same problem.
>
> Seems Ford had an obvious problem with the injected-molded intake
> manifolds found on the 4.6 SOHC & DOHC engines,though the singles were
> more prone than the doubles.
> All of this was supposed to be fixed in 98, and indeed the problem(s)
> dramatically declined at that time. But I have heard of a few 98's
> using surplus 94-96 (designed) manfiolds, which I discount as false
> information. Your 98' car should have the PI heads, which take a
> different intake than the 94-96 non-PI heads which leads me to believe
> that you in fact do NOT have a surplus 94-96 intake but did receive a
> defective one all the same.
> In my instance, it cracked on the intake runner for #1 cylinder,
> leaning out that chamber and burning the valve. No compression on that
> one. I had available another engine, a '98 with less miles than my
> '96 (48K vs 74K). The machine shop(s) I went to all wanted nearly
> $1600 for a valve job on the aluminum heads on the '96 and I thought
> the cost a bit prohibitive just for the valve job as that money did
> nothing to fix the cause of the problem, the cracked manifold.
> I did look for manifolds, and with the price I received from my Ford
> dealer ($650), I would have had nearly $2K wrapped up in just the top
> end.
> The problem with my recalled manifold (there was indeed a recall,
> unbeknown to me) was the time limit of seven years which had slipped
> past by a scant 4 months. I was told by the dealer and by other
> members of this newsgroup that the manifolds were prone to crack at
> the 70K mile mark.
>
> Mine cracked at 71,000.

The TSB is 02-2-2, if you google for 97M91 you'll see the size of the
problem. It actually affected 96 to 01's (along with a bunch of other non-
mustang Fords), when they finally went with an aluminum crossover for the
coolant, which is what the replacement units have now. I've seen a 7-year
limit on it, which is frustrating as my car was built in 8/97, but it
wasn't originally sold until 4/98 according their own computers, so the 7
year limit hasn't expired if you go by the original warranty date, but it
has if you go by the manufacture date, which they seem to be doing.

Oh and somebody posted that it cost them $140 - that ain't bad. They're
$299 now aftermarket with the metal improvements, dealer wants $500+ for
it.

I'm not thrilled with the situation but I can't spring for a complete
head/intake/etc redo, so I have to go with basic replacement for now. The
part that chaps my ace is that it's a known bad part but they didn't make
it a recall for 98+, just a "fix it if it comes in broke".

Chris

M30 Intake Manifold Bill BMW 6 November 21st 04 12:39 PM
Intake Manifold for Autostick Tranny Scott VW air cooled 2 October 22nd 04 06:03 AM
Intake Manifold Recommendation - Torker? [email protected] Corvette 7 August 25th 04 06:07 PM
2.5 L EFI Intake Manifold - Donavan's Suggestion Andrew Perlow Dodge 2 August 20th 04 10:11 PM