Premium Fuel?

Old March 21st 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Premium Fuel?

Is it possible to run Miata's on regular fuel with no negative
consequences?

I'm in the market for a used Miata, but am concerned about having to
pay premium gas prices.

Thanks.

fritzel67
Old March 21st 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

91 octane is recommended, not required, with the normally aspirated
engine. The computer will sense the knock and set the timing advance
accordingly. You will have less power, but if you drive with a light
foot you may not be able to tell the difference.

However, you want to buy a sports car. I assume that you want to be
able to get the most power out of it and the Miata does not have a
whole lot of that. The higher octane will give you the maximum power
the car can produce.

With a 12.7 US Gallon tank, you are talking about a 10-11 gallon for a
full fillup. Thats 2.00 more for premium for every 250 miles of
travel. (or about 100.00 per year if you drive 12000 miles and get a
crappy 24 mpg

Old March 22nd 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> wrote in message
> Is it possible to run Miata's on regular fuel with no negative
> consequences?
>
> I'm in the market for a used Miata, but am concerned about having to
> pay premium gas prices.
>
> Thanks.
>
> fritzel67

Depends on the year and model. My '99 uses 87 octane.

Old March 22nd 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Correct, it's dependant on the year, the NA cars all ran on regular unl
(87oct) and my 99 also does. Hopefully someone will chime in here and tell
you which year they changed that.

M.Caterra has a good point that you're talking about a couple hundred bucks
spread out over a year if you drive 12k. There's also a good chance that
you'll get better than 24 mpg also.

Chris
99BBB

Old March 22nd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In 2001 the compression was raised as was the octane requirement. I b'lieve
91 is the number, but I'm not sure. Then there is the MazdaSpeed turbo model
and I have no idea of its' fuel requirements.

Old March 22nd 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I think the also introduced the variable valve timing in 01.

The Mazdaspeed turbo drops the compression to 9:1 and has no variable
valve timing. It requires 91 octane.

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:11:26 -0500, "Chas Hurst" >
wrote:

>In 2001 the compression was raised as was the octane requirement. I b'lieve
>91 is the number, but I'm not sure. Then there is the MazdaSpeed turbo model
>and I have no idea of its' fuel requirements.

.. .

Old March 22nd 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> wrote in message
> Is it possible to run Miata's on regular fuel with no negative
> consequences?
>
> I'm in the market for a used Miata, but am concerned about having to
> pay premium gas prices.
>
> Thanks.
>
> fritzel67

My stock '96 has alway pinged on 87, so I've used 89. I know others have
not found that necessary.

Old March 22nd 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

It is easy to readjust the timing on a '96. It is set at 10 degrees from the
factory and won't ping on 87. It is probably adjusted for 16 degrees or
more. Many of the owners of M1 1.8 motors have readjusted the timing to 14
degrees to get a little more low end.

Old March 22nd 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

That's not just on 1.8's, it was a lifesaver in my 92, 1.6 !

Chris
99BBB

link.net...

Old March 23rd 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chas Hurst" > wrote:

>In 2001 the compression was raised as was the octane requirement. I b'lieve
>91 is the number, but I'm not sure.

The specification for my 2006 is 91, though lower can be used at reduced power
and increased knock. Going below 87 is apparently a very bad idea. I just
put in 93.

Leon

> Then there is the MazdaSpeed turbo model
>and I have no idea of its' fuel requirements.
>

>"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Correct, it's dependant on the year, the NA cars all ran on regular unl
>> (87oct) and my 99 also does. Hopefully someone will chime in here and tell
>> you which year they changed that.
>>
>> M.Caterra has a good point that you're talking about a couple hundred
>> bucks spread out over a year if you drive 12k. There's also a good chance
>> that you'll get better than 24 mpg also.
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB

>>> Depends on the year and model. My '99 uses 87 octane.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)