Faulty Brakes 1984 gtv 2.0

Old September 23rd 05, 06:55 AM
Catman

Ian Jobbins wrote:

> At the risk of sounding a little niave, what actually makes the rear
> caliper piston retract after application of the brake?

Reduction of pressure in the circuit.

> Looks like both the rear calipers are jammed on. Haven't checked the
> front
> yet? Is that likely to be faulty vacuum sevo unit or master cyclinder?

Far more likely to be worn / seized calipers

> And how should I check before I remove the calipers.

Not 100% sure you can, but when the engine is off, there is no servo
assistance, so a faulty servo would have no effect.

Caliper rebuild time is my call, but ISTBC

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old September 23rd 05, 12:35 PM
Catman

Ian Jobbins wrote:

> Now I am little further down the track, I understand it a bit better.
>
> For some reason, whoever rebuilt these calipers didn't connect one of the
> pistons to the adjusting screw on the handbrake side. The car was parked
> for about 8 months (which is why I am trying to get it roadworthy). with
> the
> handbrake on and the caliper siezed. Take the handbrake off, adjuster
> retracts, but not the piston. Not sure I have all the story, but now have
> to pull both calipers off to make sure they are both set up the same way -
> that will be one exciting Friday Night!
>
> All will be good with the world tomorrow........

You've never worked on the rear calipers on a transaxle Alfa, then :>

They *very* best of luck

Old September 23rd 05, 12:35 PM
Catman

Ian Jobbins wrote:

> Now I am little further down the track, I understand it a bit better.
>
> For some reason, whoever rebuilt these calipers didn't connect one of the
> pistons to the adjusting screw on the handbrake side. The car was parked
> for about 8 months (which is why I am trying to get it roadworthy). with
> the
> handbrake on and the caliper siezed. Take the handbrake off, adjuster
> retracts, but not the piston. Not sure I have all the story, but now have
> to pull both calipers off to make sure they are both set up the same way -
> that will be one exciting Friday Night!
>
> All will be good with the world tomorrow........
>
> Ian...
>

> ps ISTBC??????

Ooops

I Stand To Be Corrected

Old September 24th 05, 02:14 AM
Ian Jobbins

Now I am little further down the track, I understand it a bit better.

For some reason, whoever rebuilt these calipers didn't connect one of the
pistons to the adjusting screw on the handbrake side. The car was parked
for about 8 months (which is why I am trying to get it roadworthy). with the
handbrake on and the caliper siezed. Take the handbrake off, adjuster
retracts, but not the piston. Not sure I have all the story, but now have
to pull both calipers off to make sure they are both set up the same way -
that will be one exciting Friday Night!

All will be good with the world tomorrow........

Ian...

ps ISTBC??????

.. .

Old September 24th 05, 07:19 AM
Catman

Ian Jobbins wrote:

> So far so good, but no I didn't get it all done last night. Just put it
> all
> back together for the third time (That's about par for me). Good news is
> that the other caliper looks okay and the adjusting screw on both sides
> seems to work.

I'm impressed. Do you have a ramp or something?

> Just bled the lines, but still have to finally adjust all the pads.
> Unforetunately (not really) my girlfriend (who has been very tolerant of
> all the grease I've been dragging through the house) is dragging me off to
> watch
> the football grand final. Really gotta love a girl that does that.
>
> Finishing the alfa will have to wait until tomorrow!
>
> Go Sydney!

Who's he?

Old September 24th 05, 07:37 PM
Ian Jobbins

So far so good, but no I didn't get it all done last night. Just put it all
back together for the third time (That's about par for me). Good news is
that the other caliper looks okay and the adjusting screw on both sides
seems to work.

Just bled the lines, but still have to finally adjust all the pads.
Unforetunately (not really) my girlfriend (who has been very tolerant of all
the grease I've been dragging through the house) is dragging me off to watch
the football grand final. Really gotta love a girl that does that.

Finishing the alfa will have to wait until tomorrow!

Go Sydney!

. ..

Old September 25th 05, 02:31 PM
Catman

Ian Jobbins wrote:

> Don't speak too soon. Finally on my way to finish the job. Have a pair
> of ramps, and just love lying on my back.

You must do

> By the way Sydney is a small town in Australia, about 3 million people,
> and they won the premiership!

I know. We have freinds there.

Old September 25th 05, 10:59 PM
Ian Jobbins

Don't speak too soon. Finally on my way to finish the job. Have a pair of
ramps, and just love lying on my back.

By the way Sydney is a small town in Australia, about 3 million people, and
they won the premiership!

Cheers

. ..