Mechanics Gloves?

Old July 20th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.M.

Default Mechanics Gloves?

Any of you guys use mechanics gloves while working on cars? Or rubber
gloves? I've been thinking about buying a pair or two. I rarely work on
cars when they're hot but I'd like to keep my hands a bit cleaner and
from getting all cut & scraped up. Are the Mechanix brand any good? I've
used nitrile rubber gloves a couple times and they do help keep clean
but tear easily and your hands get pretty sweaty. With others I wonder
about dexterity and how grungy they'd get. Any thoughts on the subject?
Old July 20th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jul 20, 10:55*am, "M.M." > wrote:
> Any of you guys use mechanics gloves while working on cars? Or rubber
> gloves? I've been thinking about buying a pair or two. I rarely work on
> cars when they're hot but I'd like to keep my hands a bit cleaner and
> from getting all cut & scraped up. Are the Mechanix brand any good? I've
> used nitrile rubber gloves a couple times and they do help keep clean
> but tear easily and your hands get pretty sweaty. With others I wonder
> about dexterity and how grungy they'd get. Any thoughts on the subject?

To me there are two types. One is mainly for pit people in racing who
have to handle stuff that is REAL hot, and can't wait till it cools
down. These gloves are insulating and fireproof. The other are just
to keep your hands clean. For the later purpose one can also consider
some of these creams that you apply before working on car, and the
dirt washes off easily (well, relatively easily, anyway).

Old July 20th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Jul 20, 11:55 am, "M.M." > wrote:
> Any of you guys use mechanics gloves while working on cars? Or rubber
> gloves? I've been thinking about buying a pair or two. I rarely work on
> cars when they're hot but I'd like to keep my hands a bit cleaner and
> from getting all cut & scraped up. Are the Mechanix brand any good? I've
> used nitrile rubber gloves a couple times and they do help keep clean
> but tear easily and your hands get pretty sweaty. With others I wonder
> about dexterity and how grungy they'd get. Any thoughts on the subject?

The Mechanix gloves are great if you're tuning and working on a hot
engine. however I find that dexterity is somewhat limited when
they're on. They're good, but they can only do so much. I'm not a
big fan of surgical type gloves for working on cars for exactly the
reasons you mention. Some people like 'em but to me, it's easier just
to scrub my hands than to put up with the sweatiness.

nate
Old July 20th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
doug

I like to use the regular mechanics gloves whenever I'm working on the
really dirty stuff, or tugging on wrenches in tight spots. It's usually
easier to keep clean than get clean if you get some old oil/grease on you.
They also give your knuckles protection when the wrench slips or when you
get snagged on a hose clamp or some other "skinning" tool.

Old July 20th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John Selph

I also like the mechanics gloves while doing general work such as brake
jobs, component R&R, etc. Obviously, there is a certain degree of lost
sensitivity and dexterity, but I find it acceptable. Yes, the Mechanix
brand is good, and if I'm not mistaken, they were the original, but I have a
pair logo'd by Car Craft which seem just the same to me. One thing that I
like is that I can just throw them in the washing machine along with shop
towels and rags, and they hold up just fine.
John

Old July 20th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ralf Ballis[_3_]

"M.M." > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Any of you guys use mechanics gloves while working on cars? Or rubber
> gloves? I've been thinking about buying a pair or two. I rarely work on
> cars when they're hot but I'd like to keep my hands a bit cleaner and from
> getting all cut & scraped up. Are the Mechanix brand any good? I've used
> nitrile rubber gloves a couple times and they do help keep clean but tear
> easily and your hands get pretty sweaty. With others I wonder about
> dexterity and how grungy they'd get. Any thoughts on the subject?

Generally I like to work without cloves. Only with using of free fingers a
serious working and not kidding is possible.
Only in case of a task to do for security reason on hot parts etc. I use
mechanics cloves.

Regards,

Ralf

Old July 21st 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
disston

> > Any of you guys use mechanics gloves while working on cars? Or rubber
> > gloves?

This is my opinion on the subject. There are 2 kinds of people who
work on cars, those who wear gloves and real mechanics who don't!
HAHAHA Just kidding. But there do seem to be two kinds mechanics, just
doesn't mean either is better or worse. My housemate is a better
mechanic than I and he wears mostly nitrile or rubber type gloves when
doing dirty stuff. He'll forgo them if the work is not so dirty or
requires a finer touch. He also plays the guitar professionally
(somewhat) and needs cleaner hands, maybe. I tried to get in the habit
some years ago and never liked it. The gloves tore all the time (they
don't tear on housemate as much. he even reuses a single pair several
times!). And as others have said your hands will sweat, and there is a
loss of touch. I guess I was just to set in my ways by the time this
idea came along so I don't worry about it. I can always clean my hands
some more and the dirt comes out of the pores eventually. One thing
that might be usefull is to remember to put on a pair when messin with
hyphoid gear oil. That stuff stinks and the smell is hard to wash off.

I still have a box of those...somewhere.

disston
Old July 21st 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_9_]

M.M. wrote:
> Any of you guys use mechanics gloves while working on cars? Or rubber
> gloves? I've been thinking about buying a pair or two. I rarely work on
> cars when they're hot but I'd like to keep my hands a bit cleaner and
> from getting all cut & scraped up. Are the Mechanix brand any good? I've
> used nitrile rubber gloves a couple times and they do help keep clean
> but tear easily and your hands get pretty sweaty. With others I wonder
> about dexterity and how grungy they'd get. Any thoughts on the subject?

I've started wearing rubber gloves when doing stuff like oil changes.
I have mechanix gloves and they work, but aren't so great for doing fine
work.
Neither of them really helps with hot stuff or really greasy stuff.

They do help cut down on the skinned knuckles and can help keep your
hands cleaner.

So, I'd say I wear them about 1/3 of the time - it depends on what I'm
doing.

Ray
(just a diy-er)
Old July 21st 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_9_]

N8N wrote:
> On Jul 20, 11:55 am, "M.M." > wrote:
>> Any of you guys use mechanics gloves while working on cars? Or rubber
>> gloves? I've been thinking about buying a pair or two. I rarely work on
>> cars when they're hot but I'd like to keep my hands a bit cleaner and
>> from getting all cut & scraped up. Are the Mechanix brand any good? I've
>> used nitrile rubber gloves a couple times and they do help keep clean
>> but tear easily and your hands get pretty sweaty. With others I wonder
>> about dexterity and how grungy they'd get. Any thoughts on the subject?

> The Mechanix gloves are great if you're tuning and working on a hot
> engine. however I find that dexterity is somewhat limited when
> they're on. They're good, but they can only do so much. I'm not a
> big fan of surgical type gloves for working on cars for exactly the
> reasons you mention. Some people like 'em but to me, it's easier just
> to scrub my hands than to put up with the sweatiness.
>
> nate

The reason I started wearing gloves was to reduce contact with used
motor oil and other chemicals. Partly to reduce the risk of cancer 30
years from now, partly so when my newborn wanted to chew on my finger
she wasn't getting a mouthful of 10w30, and partly so when I was
redecorating my fish tank I wasn't polluting the water in there.

But yeah, last week I was greasing the front end of my truck and by the
time I was done fighting with the idler arm nipple, I was pretty much
black from the elbows down and the gloves had long since been removed
because I needed all the finger control I could get. I was also
bleeding and ****ed off.

Ray
Old July 21st 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ROY BRAGG

Some mechanics I know use them because they have heard some of the chemicals
used in auto shops could be cancer causing.
Roy
"M.M." > wrote in message
> Any of you guys use mechanics gloves while working on cars? Or rubber
> gloves? I've been thinking about buying a pair or two. I rarely work on
> cars when they're hot but I'd like to keep my hands a bit cleaner and from
> getting all cut & scraped up. Are the Mechanix brand any good? I've used
> nitrile rubber gloves a couple times and they do help keep clean but tear
> easily and your hands get pretty sweaty. With others I wonder about
> dexterity and how grungy they'd get. Any thoughts on the subject?

Car Mechanics at Home for Everybody Brad Stevens[_2_] Jeep 3 April 8th 08 04:39 AM
Car Mechanics at Home for Everybody spyder VW air cooled 0 March 30th 08 05:16 PM
All You Need for Car Mechanics at Home! broadband Jeep 0 February 1st 08 03:44 AM
Mechanics and carbuffs j Technology 0 November 25th 07 02:29 AM
Old VW Mechanics Howard and Hope VW air cooled 2 April 30th 06 04:12 AM