2013 Chevy Volt receives update after reports of shutdowns

Old November 4th 12, 01:06 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,misc.survivalism
Jimmy B

Default 2013 Chevy Volt receives update after reports of shutdowns

In article <880dba7d-59fb-4759-b941-
>, says...
>
> On Nov 3, 2:11*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> >
> > Why isn't that practical? *So you go one way on all electric and get
> > 100 mpg equivalent, then you come back and have to use the generator
> > and get 32 mpg. *Your *trip averaged 66 mpg. *I don't think you'll do
> > that good in a VW TDI.

> It's not practical due to buying the equivalent of 2 cars and winding
> up with a car that few people would accept if it were gas only.
> Limited cargo/passenger space, limited cruise distance, poor ride,
> etc.

How old are you? You sound like you're pretty young.
Get used to something.
Speak for yourself or you come off as a fool.
So say something like "It's not practical FOR ME due to....etc."
See, you don't speak for me and many others, so get used to that too.
You sound like a big dummy, repeating the same personal opinion bull****
over and over again, like it applies to everybody.
See, most people have better sense than you. If yogurt gives them the
runs, they'll say "Yogurt is no good for me. Gives me the runs."
Or they'll just ignore any discussion of yogurt entirely.
If they can't afford an electric car, or they drive long trips most the
time, or have no place to plug it in, or don't like it on a cost basis,
they say:
"I can't afford it."
"I drive mostly long trips."
"I don't have a place to plug it in."
"Doesn't make financial sense to me at the current price."

But not you. You come in here acting like you speak for everybody.
Won't work, so grow up.

> Eventually electrics may become practical but so far they are worlds
> away from it for the average consumer.
> Currently they make sense only for someone with less than 20 mile
> commute (one way) and making very few long trips (over about 60
> miles).
>
> It's fine to be a supporter of new technology but don't blind yourself
> to the shortcomings.

Grow up. Speaking for myself, a Volt would suit 90% my driving needs
well, very well. I have a 30 mile round trip commute and drive more
than 50 miles just a few times a year, outside of vacation trips.
I have a garage with electricity.
For vacation trips I would use a second car, or rent a car.
Or maybe take the Volt.
Why don't I have one? Can't afford it.
So the only "bad" I see is it costs too much for me.
If the car price comes down 10 grand and gas price hits 5-6 bucks the
calculation changes drastically.
Some people have more money than others.
They drive juiced up Ford PU's, Mercedes, Caddys, Lincolns, Buicks,
Lexus, etc. All costing more than a Volt.
Hell, the average 2012 price for a new car is $30,748.
A loaded VW Golf is $36k MSRP. About the same for a Toyota Avalon.
So the Volt isn't even expensive to those who want one.
People know what they want, they don't need you.
Good for those who can afford it. Must be nice driving for months and
months without visiting a gas station, as some of them do.
Now why don't don't you tell everybody a big house is impractical, and a
stainless steel refrigerator is impractical, or a vacation in the
Bahamas is impractical.
Then you can start on how a new car loses a big chunk of its value after
you drive it away from the dealer, so buying a new car is a loser.
Get real.

Old November 4th 12, 02:06 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,misc.survivalism
Harry K[_2_]

On Nov 4, 5:06*am, Jimmy B > wrote:
> [...]

> calculation changes drastically.
> Some people have more money than others.
> They drive juiced up Ford PU's, Mercedes, Caddys, Lincolns, Buicks,
> Lexus, etc. *All costing more than a Volt.
> Hell, the average 2012 price for a new car is $30,748.
> A loaded VW Golf is $36k MSRP. *About the same for a Toyota Avalon.
> So the Volt isn't even expensive to those who want one.
> People know what they want, they don't need you.
> Good for those who can afford it. *Must be nice driving for months and
> months without visiting a gas station, as some of them do.
> Now why don't don't you tell everybody a big house is impractical, and a
> stainless steel refrigerator is impractical, or a vacation in the
> Bahamas is impractical.
> Then you can start on how a new car loses a big chunk of its value after
> you drive it away from the dealer, so buying a new car is a loser.

Personal opinion heard frm the peanut gallery.

Sorry I stepped on your oh-so-delicate toes...not.

Harry K
Old November 4th 12, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,misc.survivalism
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 22:55:02 -0700 (PDT), Harry K >
wrote:

>On Nov 3, 2:11*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 20:49:56 -0700 (PDT), Harry K >
>> wrote:

>> >Not sure of the Volt's range on electric but at least one of the
>> >electrics is around 50 miles. *Notat all practical ffor me as I live
>> >almost exactly 50 miles either way from the two nearest cities.

>> >Normal shopping range for me is a 60 mile roundtrip with a couple
>> >trips per year to the cities.

>> >Harry K

>> Why isn't that practical? *So you go one way on all electric and get
>> 100 mpg equivalent, then you come back and have to use the generator
>> and get 32 mpg. *Your *trip averaged 66 mpg. *I don't think you'll do
>> that good in a VW TDI.

>It's not practical due to buying the equivalent of 2 cars and winding
>up with a car that few people would accept if it were gas only.
>Limited cargo/passenger space, limited cruise distance, poor ride,
>etc.
>
>Eventually electrics may become practical but so far they are worlds
>away from it for the average consumer.
>Currently they make sense only for someone with less than 20 mile
>commute (one way) and making very few long trips (over about 60
>miles).
>
>It's fine to be a supporter of new technology but don't blind yourself
>to the shortcomings.
>
>Harry K

Read Jimmy B's comments to you twice and that will take care of what I
was thinking of as a reply to you, only he said it better then I would
have.
Old November 4th 12, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,misc.survivalism
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 06:06:38 -0800 (PST), Harry K >
wrote:

> [...]

>> Lexus, etc. *All costing more than a Volt.
>> Hell, the average 2012 price for a new car is $30,748.
>> A loaded VW Golf is $36k MSRP. *About the same for a Toyota Avalon.
>> So the Volt isn't even expensive to those who want one.
>> People know what they want, they don't need you.
>> Good for those who can afford it. *Must be nice driving for months and
>> months without visiting a gas station, as some of them do.
>> Now why don't don't you tell everybody a big house is impractical, and a
>> stainless steel refrigerator is impractical, or a vacation in the
>> Bahamas is impractical.
>> Then you can start on how a new car loses a big chunk of its value after
>> you drive it away from the dealer, so buying a new car is a loser.
>> Get real.

>Personal opinion heard frm the peanut gallery.
>
>Sorry I stepped on your oh-so-delicate toes...not.

You just keep looking more and more like an ass.
Old November 4th 12, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,sac.politics,alt.politics.obama,misc.survivalism
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 18:58:11 -0700, Gunner >
wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 08:13:02 -0400, Dave Head >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 22:31:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>>The other problem(s) is that is it not practical for moderate or
>>>longer distance and it costs too much.I'm also curious as to how well
>>>the heat works in very cold temperatures. Oh, and the AC in very hot
>>>temperatures.
>>>
>>>It has a very long way to go to appeal to the mass market.

>>Why is it not practical for moderate or longer distances? It'll go
>>from NYC to LA in a the same amount of time as a regular car. Just
>>keep filling the tank... like a regular car.

>So it takes 2.5-8 hours to fill your gas tank?

Do you even understand how the Volt works???

Old November 4th 12, 09:39 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,sac.politics,alt.politics.obama,misc.survivalism
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 18:58:11 -0700, Gunner >
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 08:13:02 -0400, Dave Head >
>>wrote:

>>>Why is it not practical for moderate or longer distances? It'll go
>>>from NYC to LA in a the same amount of time as a regular car. Just
>>>keep filling the tank... like a regular car.

>>So it takes 2.5-8 hours to fill your gas tank?
>>

> Do you even understand how the Volt works???

I do. The electric engine runs until it runs out, then the gas engine kicks
in.

That said, the point is to rarely use the gas engine. Trips of more than 50
or so miles apparently exceed the practicality of the electric part of the
engine. Might as well buy a gas only car and save the higher cost of a
hybrid, the necessary engine switchovers or having to limit to shorter
trips, and in the case of the 2013 Volt, the apparent firmware issue(s)
causing shutdowns.

[snip...]

Old November 4th 12, 10:33 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,misc.survivalism
Jimmy B

In article >,
says...

> On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 07:06:17 -0600, Jimmy B > wrote:
>

> >Grow up. Speaking for myself, a Volt would suit 90% my driving needs
> >well, very well. I have a 30 mile round trip commute and drive more
> >than 50 miles just a few times a year, outside of vacation trips.

> So you are actually a rarity. Most Americans drive between 13,000 and
> 17.000 miles per year.
>
> I do 45,000-65,000 per year but then...Im not average with my job and
> location.

You sound like an average dope to me.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

> So why would you hold yourself as somehow the Average man?

What are you? Stupid?
You think cars are aimed at the "Average man?"
Sounds like commie talk.
Commies always want to take away rights.
What, you want a law to make me buy a Corolla or Camry?
**** you and the commie horse you rode in on.
Ain't gonna happen.

Old November 5th 12, 06:26 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,misc.survivalism
Harry K[_2_]

On Nov 4, 11:49*am, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 06:06:38 -0800 (PST), Harry K >
> wrote:
>

> >On Nov 4, 5:06*am, Jimmy B > wrote:
> >> In article <880dba7d-59fb-4759-b941-

> >> How old are you? *You sound like you're pretty young.
> >> Get used to something.
> >> Speak for yourself or you come off as a fool.
> >> So say something like *"It's not practical FOR ME due to....etc."
> >> See, you don't speak for me and many others, so get used to that too.
> >> You sound like a big dummy, repeating the same personal opinion bull****
> >> over and over again, like it applies to everybody.
> >> See, most people have better sense than you. *If yogurt gives them the
> >> runs, they'll say "Yogurt is no good for me. *Gives me the runs."
> >> Or they'll just ignore any discussion of yogurt entirely.
> >> If they can't afford an electric car, or they drive long trips most the
> >> time, or have no place to plug it in, or don't like it on a cost basis,
> >> they say:
> >> "I can't afford it."
> >> "I drive mostly long trips."
> >> "I don't have a place to plug it in."
> >> "Doesn't make financial sense to me at the current price."

> >> But not you. *You come in here acting like you speak for everybody.
> >> Won't work, so grow up.

> >> Grow up. *Speaking for myself, a Volt would suit 90% my driving needs
> >> well, very well. *I have a 30 mile round trip commute and drive more
> >> than 50 miles just a few times a year, outside of vacation trips.
> >> I have a garage with electricity.
> >> For vacation trips I would use a second car, or rent a car.
> >> Or maybe take the Volt.
> >> Why don't I have one? *Can't afford it.
> >> So the only "bad" I see is it costs too much for me.
> >> If the car price comes down 10 grand and gas price hits 5-6 bucks the
> >> calculation changes drastically.
> >> Some people have more money than others.
> >> They drive juiced up Ford PU's, Mercedes, Caddys, Lincolns, Buicks,
> >> Lexus, etc. *All costing more than a Volt.
> >> Hell, the average 2012 price for a new car is $30,748.
> >> A loaded VW Golf is $36k MSRP. *About the same for a Toyota Avalon.
> >> So the Volt isn't even expensive to those who want one.
> >> People know what they want, they don't need you.
> >> Good for those who can afford it. *Must be nice driving for months and
> >> months without visiting a gas station, as some of them do.
> >> Now why don't don't you tell everybody a big house is impractical, and a
> >> stainless steel refrigerator is impractical, or a vacation in the
> >> Bahamas is impractical.
> >> Then you can start on how a new car loses a big chunk of its value after
> >> you drive it away from the dealer, so buying a new car is a loser.
> >> Get real.

> >Personal opinion heard frm the peanut gallery.

> >Sorry I stepped on your oh-so-delicate toes...not.

> >Harry K

> You just keep looking more and more like an ass.

You got sore toes too? Support electrics or even hybrids allyou want
but at the
current level of technology they are only practical in a niche market.

I am all for them _when and if_ they can get some decent range AND the
cost becomes competitive withouth subsidies.

Harry K

Old November 5th 12, 06:29 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,misc.survivalism
Harry K[_2_]

On Nov 4, 11:49*am, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 22:55:02 -0700 (PDT), Harry K >
> wrote:
>

> >On Nov 3, 2:11*pm, Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> >> Why isn't that practical? *So you go one way on all electric and get
> >> 100 mpg equivalent, then you come back and have to use the generator
> >> and get 32 mpg. *Your *trip averaged 66 mpg. *I don't think you'll do
> >> that good in a VW TDI.

> >It's not practical due to buying the equivalent of 2 cars and winding
> >up with a car that few people would accept *if it were gas only.
> >Limited cargo/passenger space, limited cruise distance, poor ride,
> >etc.

> >Eventually electrics may become practical but so far they are worlds
> >away from it for the average consumer.
> >Currently they make sense only for someone with less than 20 mile
> >commute (one way) and making very few long trips (over about 60
> >miles).

> >It's fine to be a supporter of new technology but don't blind yourself
> >to the shortcomings.

> >Harry K

> Read Jimmy B's comments to you twice and that will take care of what I
> was thinking of as a reply to you, only he said it better then I would
> have.

Translation, you are to chicken to say it yourself. Fact - it is good
in a niche market only. Trying to make it a practical car for anyone
who does a lot of miles, Ain't gonnna work until the range improves
at 100%.

Harry K
Old November 5th 12, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.driving,sac.politics,alt.politics.obama,misc.survivalism
emoneyjoe

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 22:31:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:59:50 -0500, emoneyjoe >
>wrote:
>
>> I don't understand people unloading
>>on the Volt, the only problem I know of
>>is the critical nature of some lithium
>>batteries.
>>

>The other problem(s) is that is it not practical for moderate or
>longer distance and it costs too much.

It is the "car of the future" type, electric
with an on-board generator, and can be used
on any length trip and gives almost double
the highway mileage of the average car.

It was never meant to be the lowest
price car, and was used to develop and
test the drive train and battery set-up
that is intended to be used in other
models.

>I'm also curious as to how well
>the heat works in very cold temperatures. Oh, and the AC in very hot
>temperatures.

Since it has an IC engine, turning it
on to charge the batteries while driving
should provide the heat or power for
climate control.

The important thing with electric cars
will be the quality of the regenerative
braking system, which can't be fully
implemented now because the capacitors
needed are not fully developed in mass
production at low cost.

It takes zero energy other than just
bearing friction and wind resistance to
drive on level ground, that is one of the
main reasons to go to solid rubber tires.

Once engineers get that solidly in
their head, and the ultra-capacitors
are in production at the right price,
all cars will be electric with on-board
generators.

It only takes about 20 HP to charge
the batteries in normal driving, and
the smaller the IC engine, the more
efficient it can be, always running at
optimum RPM, only when the batteries
are below a given state of charge.

Eventually there will be options,
like one on-board generator for cars
in places where there are few long
hills, and two on-board generators
where there are hills.
The advantages of redundant
power generation, lower cost of
more units produced, and proper
sizing the IC engine to the task
needed will finally dawn on auto
engineers.

>It has a very long way to go to appeal to the mass market.

That model is aimed at a particular
market, there will be more electric car
models by all auto companies, it is
the only way to get maximum MPG,