crank no start

Old October 16th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
greasemonkey19

Default crank no start

yesterday i installed a new alternator on a 99 mitsubishi eclipse and
this morning car started up fine and drove perfectly untill i reached
train tracks and after i drove over them my check engine came on and
after a couple of seconds all the lights in the car became real bright
and the car just stalled i opened the hood and seen the positive on the
battery fell off as i drove over the tracks so i plugged that back in
and tried cranking the car and it would not start. i think i burned out
my pcm because when the alternator went out couple days ago the postive
was off and i drove the car home and i think i burned out the voltage
regulator so when the post came off today the alternator kept on
charging and fried my pcm. im suspecting the pcm because when the key
is in the on position the check engine does not come on. does this seem
like a logical answer or does anybody have any other ideas on what this
could be?

Old October 16th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

greasemonkey19 > wrote:
>yesterday i installed a new alternator on a 99 mitsubishi eclipse and
>this morning car started up fine and drove perfectly untill i reached
>train tracks and after i drove over them my check engine came on and
>after a couple of seconds all the lights in the car became real bright
>and the car just stalled i opened the hood and seen the positive on the
>battery fell off as i drove over the tracks so i plugged that back in
>and tried cranking the car and it would not start. i think i burned out
>my pcm because when the alternator went out couple days ago the postive
>was off and i drove the car home and i think i burned out the voltage
>regulator so when the post came off today the alternator kept on
>charging and fried my pcm. im suspecting the pcm because when the key
>is in the on position the check engine does not come on. does this seem
>like a logical answer or does anybody have any other ideas on what this
>could be?

I'd check fusible links first.
--scott
Old October 16th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Rodan

"greasemonkey19" wrote: 99 mitsubishi eclipse

yesterday i installed a new alternator. i drove over some
train tracks today and my check engine light came on, then
all the lights became real bright, then the car stalled.
i discovered that the positive battery cable had fallen off.
i plugged it back in and tried cranking the car but it would
not start. i think i burned out my pcm because when the
alternator previously went out i drove home with the postive
off and and i think i burned out the voltage regulator so
when the post came off today the alternator kept charging
and fried my pcm. i suspect the pcm because when the
key is on the check engine does not come on. does a bad
pcm seem like a logical cause?

The bright lights indicate a regulator failure. A fusible
link probably burned out. If so, replace the link and
the regulator, and attach the battery cable securely.
The overvoltage probably was not enough to damage
the pcm. I hope not, anyway.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Old October 17th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
greasemonkey19

but with the key on the car does a self test of all systems and the
check engine is not coming on meaning that the pcm is not working
properly the fuses are all ok along with all conections but ill check
the fusible links tomorow and tell u how it went

Old October 17th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 16 Oct 2006 12:30:41 -0700, "greasemonkey19"
> wrote:

>yesterday i installed a new alternator on a 99 mitsubishi eclipse and
>this morning car started up fine and drove perfectly untill i reached
>train tracks and after i drove over them my check engine came on and
>after a couple of seconds all the lights in the car became real bright
>and the car just stalled i opened the hood and seen the positive on the
>battery fell off as i drove over the tracks so i plugged that back in
>and tried cranking the car and it would not start. i think i burned out
>my pcm because when the alternator went out couple days ago the postive
>was off and i drove the car home and i think i burned out the voltage
>regulator so when the post came off today the alternator kept on
>charging and fried my pcm. im suspecting the pcm because when the key
>is in the on position the check engine does not come on. does this seem
>like a logical answer or does anybody have any other ideas on what this
>could be?

I think that if you are not capable of putting the battery cable
clamps on your battery securely you should let someone else work on
your car.

Seriously

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

98 Olds Intrigue won't start John Clonts Technology 0 July 10th 05 06:41 PM
91 Civic Will Not Start Pailyn Honda 0 July 3rd 05 08:30 PM
No start, no crank, no lights, no power? quietryan321 Dodge 2 June 22nd 05 06:35 PM
'93 Grand Voyager crank, no start SBlackfoot Chrysler 34 April 7th 05 06:48 AM