94 S4 crank but no start

Old May 2nd 06, 03:17 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default 94 S4 crank but no start

Hello,
Background: 1994 S4, 169K. Fully serviced, all belts, pumps, fluids,
plugs, filters, you-name-its been done. Car is mechanically and (was)
electronically up to date and perfect. TAP 1+ chipset, forge BOV, cold
air intake, no kitties.
Ok, with that knowledge...
The other day, the check engine light came on for the first time while
driving . I turned car off to see if it would reset the light and the
car wouldn't restart. It cranks but will not fire.
I came back about 4 hrs. later and the car fired right up so I drove it
home. On the way home the light came. I noticed an immediate lack of
power, but the car did not stall out. The light went out a bit later.
When arriving home I turned off car and it would not restart. Again,
crank but no fire.
I pulled the codes from it crossing the A1 and B1 connectors.
Codes we
2113
2114
2111
2324
I understand that it will throw the Cam sensor code if the engine is
not running so I cannot tell if this is the culprit but I am leaning in
that direction.
Any advice or past cam sensor experience?
Thanks,
Nate

Old May 2nd 06, 05:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Sounds like it might be the fuel pump.

If you go out at night (or any times it's pretty quiet outside), wind
your windows down, put the key in and turn it to 'ON' (the one before
the engine cranks).

Listen out of the window, you should here a quiet buzzing for a couple
of seconds as the fuel pump starts up.
If you don't, I'd guess that the pump is going out, and might not last
more than a few more starts.
You might want to try this test a few times.. the pump went out on my
car a few months ago.. about one time in ten the pump would buzz.
When it does you'll be able to start the car, otherwise not.

It could be something entirely different, just talking from experience
:-)

Old May 3rd 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks Ed,
I did happen upon that thread last night and ordered a pair of the hall
sensors(one for a spare). $40 for two including shipping! Sure beats
$199+s/h from all those other places!
I'll keep you all informed!

--
N.P.

Old May 3rd 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

I checked that 1st, due to owning a couple 5000tqs who are known to
have fuel pump (f/p) issues or just faulty f/p relays.
I do hear the f/p running but only when I start it. I believe these
f/ps on the S4's are setup to come on when there is oil pressure and
thus may not run when the key is ON and the engine is OFF.
It does hum when I crank the engine.
Thanks for the advice,
N.P.

Old May 6th 06, 10:08 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Ok!
Well, I took on the task of replacing the Hall sensor (cam position
sensor) and I spliced/soldered/heat shrinked in a new one and after
resetting the timing belt back into place (you have to remove the cam
gear to get at the sensor). I fired up the car!!
It's alive! Yeah!! Praise God for His help and answered prayer!
If anyone needs assistance on this proceedure email me
. I may write up a step-by-step for a later post....
Thanks!
Nate

98 Olds Intrigue won't start John Clonts Technology 0 July 10th 05 06:41 PM
91 Civic Will Not Start Pailyn Honda 0 July 3rd 05 08:30 PM
No start, no crank, no lights, no power? quietryan321 Dodge 2 June 22nd 05 06:35 PM
'93 Grand Voyager crank, no start SBlackfoot Chrysler 34 April 7th 05 06:48 AM