More Powerful Engine?

Old February 7th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default More Powerful Engine?

Is there an engine I can replace in my Miata 1995 in the 200-250 hp
range?

Old February 7th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Try http://www.monstermiata.com

ups.com...

Old February 7th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article . com>,
"mdginzo" > wrote:

> Is there an engine I can replace in my Miata 1995 in the 200-250 hp
> range?

Yes, a fair number of Miatas have had 302 Ford conversions. Figure about
$20k, plus the Miata. Not something you can do in your driveway.

For around $6k plus relatively-simple installation, you could add a
turbo- or supercharger to get equivalent results without spoiling the
car's balance:
http://www.flyinmiata.com/

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old February 7th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"mdginzo" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Is there an engine I can replace in my Miata 1995 in the 200-250 hp
> range?

If you just want a small hp increase try this:

http://www.diamondmotorsport.com/greenmiatas.htm

Increasing engine size is usually the easiest and the cheapest way to
gain horsepower and going up to 7000cc should help....

I can't imagine why anyone would want to, the Miata isnt a fast car and
you knew that when you bought it. If you wanted fast there's
Corvettes, Vipers, etc. They'll all run, brake and handle better than
something that's cobbled together by plumbing school dropouts...

Old February 7th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-02-07, XS11E > wrote:
> "mdginzo" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>
>> Is there an engine I can replace in my Miata 1995 in the 200-250 hp
>> range?

> If you just want a small hp increase try this:
>
> http://www.diamondmotorsport.com/greenmiatas.htm
>
> Increasing engine size is usually the easiest and the cheapest way to
> gain horsepower and going up to 7000cc should help....

7000cc?

The header cover says 5.7L -- which is almost as ridiculous.

> I can't imagine why anyone would want to, the Miata isnt a
> fast car and you knew that when you bought it. If you wanted
> fast there's Corvettes, Vipers, etc. They'll all run, brake
> and handle better than something that's cobbled together by
> plumbing school dropouts...

Plumbing school dropouts?

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! As a FAD follower,
at my BEVERAGE choices are
Old February 7th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Grant Edwards > wrote in
:

> On 2006-02-07, XS11E > wrote:

>> Increasing engine size is usually the easiest and the cheapest
>> way to gain horsepower and going up to 7000cc should help....

> 7000cc?
>
> The header cover says 5.7L -- which is almost as ridiculous.

5.7 would be the 350V8, he needs the 427ci. V8 which should fit as
well, or, the 500ci Cadillac which is actually lighter than the 427ci
Chevvy. There's no sense doing an engine swap if you're not going to
do an ENGINE SWAP!

>> I can't imagine why anyone would want to, the Miata isnt a
>> fast car and you knew that when you bought it. If you wanted
>> fast there's Corvettes, Vipers, etc. They'll all run, brake
>> and handle better than something that's cobbled together by
>> plumbing school dropouts...

> Plumbing school dropouts?

Ever see the worksmanship (or lack thereof) on some home made projects?

Old February 7th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

>Ever see the worksmanship (or lack thereof) on some home made >projects?

I have seen some excellent workmanship in homemade projects and some
crappy workmanship in some "professional" work. That goes for
everything in this world, not just cars.

Old February 7th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-02-07, XS11E > wrote:

>> 7000cc?
>>
>> The header cover says 5.7L -- which is almost as ridiculous.

> 5.7 would be the 350V8, he needs the 427ci. V8 which should fit as
> well, or, the 500ci Cadillac which is actually lighter than the 427ci
> Chevvy. There's no sense doing an engine swap if you're not going to
> do an ENGINE SWAP!

One of the other pages at that same site does mention swaping
in a 427.

>> Plumbing school dropouts?

> Ever see the worksmanship (or lack thereof) on some home made projects?

Yes. I've seen some absolutely gorgeous "home made" racing
cars, street rods and classic car restorations. I've also some
professional work that's total crap.

Perhaps you have personal experience with Diamond Motorsport
upon which you can base your opinion, but I didn't see anything
in the pictures of the 350 swap looked like poor workmaship.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! How's the wife? Is
at she at home enjoying
Old February 7th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Grant Edwards > wrote in
:

> Perhaps you have personal experience with Diamond Motorsport
> upon which you can base your opinion,

I have no experience with Diamond Motorsports which is why I expressed
no opinion of any kind of them.

Old February 8th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

:

>> Perhaps you have personal experience with Diamond Motorsport
>> upon which you can base your opinion,

>I have no experience with Diamond Motorsports which is why I expressed
>no opinion of any kind of them.

In that case, apologize to them and us for misleadingly using the
term "plumbing-school drop-outs" in a context clearly implicating
them.

>>> Is there an engine I can replace in my Miata 1995 in the 200-250 hp
>>> range?

>>If you just want a small hp increase try this:
>>
>>http://www.diamondmotorsport.com/greenmiatas.htm
>>
>>Increasing engine size is usually the easiest and the cheapest way to
>>gain horsepower and going up to 7000cc should help....
>>
>>I can't imagine why anyone would want to, the Miata isnt a fast car and
>>you knew that when you bought it. If you wanted fast there's
>>Corvettes, Vipers, etc. They'll all run, brake and handle better than
>>something that's cobbled together by plumbing school dropouts...

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)