Replacing mirror

Old February 8th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Replacing mirror

Hi all,

Is it possible to replace just the mirror part, i.e. the reflective part, of
a wing mirror, continuing to use the frame of the mirror that's screwed to
the door? If so, how does one go about talking out the original one and
replacing it?

Thanks

Eric

--
Eric Baber
Web: http://www.ericbaber.com

Old February 9th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Eric Baber" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to replace just the mirror part, i.e. the reflective part,
> of
> a wing mirror, continuing to use the frame of the mirror that's screwed to
> the door? If so, how does one go about talking out the original one and
> replacing it?

Grab the mirror and twist it 90 degrees. After you twist it, you'll then
have access to the 2 screws that hold the mirror to the door. Remove the 2
screws and you can do whatever repair you wish to the mirror. If you have
power mirrors, there will also be a cable holding the mirror.

The first time you try to twist the mirror, it will take a little more force
than expected. Borrow someone's instructions for installing the tonneau
cover snaps under the door mirrors.

Old February 9th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Another way to describe this is to push or twist the mirror
so the glass is moved toward the window, This exposes the
mirror's mounting screws. It also helps me move the trash
can by without rubbing on the mirror!

Old February 13th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Eric Baber" > wrote in
:

> Is it possible to replace just the mirror part, i.e. the
> reflective part, of a wing mirror, continuing to use the frame of
> the mirror that's screwed to the door? If so, how does one go
> about talking out the original one and replacing it?

I saw you had some answers but I don't think they answered you
question, the answer is yes, but I don't know how. There are people on
Ebay who sell the glass only, I'm sure they'd have instructions?

The mirror is retained in the housing by a black plastic
strip/ring/whatchcallit that is glued to the housing, if you get it off
it does not want to go back on (don't ask!) and if you don't get it
glued on securely the mirror glass will fall out and break (again,
don't ask how I know this, OK?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/90-98-Mazda-Miat...-Mirror-Glass-
Left_W0QQitemZ8032501879QQcategoryZ33686QQssPageNa meZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi
ewItem

Or: http://tinyurl.com/bghzp