help with Ford Contour - hesitates under acceleration

Old April 24th 05, 06:44 AM

Default help with Ford Contour - hesitates under acceleration

1998
Ford
Contour
2.0 L 4-cyc
95,000 miles
Manual trans

Seems ok at idle but seriously hesitates under acceleration. After
heavy "sputtering and coughing", the engine will eventually "catch up"
and run at the higher RPM. The harder I push the pedal the worse it
is. If I VERY gently accelerate then the problem is less noticeable
but that is hard to do leaving a stop light or sign especially on a
turn with people behind me. If I press very hard and then let off I
can get it to backfire on me. It happens both cold and warm but much
worse when cold. The other problem (likely related) is that it dies.
Usually after driving at speed and slowing to a stop (at a light) or
very slow (to turn corner).

Since it was needed anyway (never done) I changed the plugs (NGK Laser
Platinum PTR5A-13 2467) and wires (BOSCH 09741). The OE plugs were
worn but looked very clean. Cyc 1 had a large gap (estimated 0.15
versus 0.050 spec) but the other three were only a bit larger than
specs. No oil or anything like that.

I checked the air filter and it looked clean.

I have a code reader and the computer reads clean so that was no help.

Removing the vacuum line from the vacuum booster made the problem
slightly worse. Putting it back made it slightly better. When I
accelerate I hear a sharp hiss (seems to come from outside of the
throttle body). I don't know if that is normal or not.

The fuel injectors have never been serviced (other than tank
additives). Somewhere I have read that they should be serviced and/or
replaced at 100,000 miles.

According to my manual the 1998 4-cyc doesn't have EGR valves or
related systems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old April 24th 05, 01:50 PM
Professor

Fuel delivery problem??? Checked fuel pump pressure/volume? Filter?

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old April 24th 05, 03:38 PM
Mike

Thanks. Fuel filter was changed 5k ago. I will look at testing the
fuel pump for flow.

Old April 26th 05, 07:35 AM
Pam Nash via CarKB.com

Check the mass air flow sensor.... we had this very problem with our
contour approximatley 3 years ago, we took it into numerous ford
dealerships and eventually to other mechanics just to get an answer, this
after my husband had already thoroughly gone through, like you, plugs,
plugs wires, air filters etc. We took the car to a guy who had a small
shop but who came very highly recommended and he found the problem... it
doesnt show up on the computer when you run that test... not sure how he
discovered it, but we changed it and never had a problem another problem
with it. 3 years ago the part was about $100. and pretty simple to
replace.. my husband did it. He says to let you know that he has numerous
parts (map sensors, etc.) from different contours, including the mass air
flow sendor.. contact us if we can help in any way
Pam and Shane

Old May 7th 05, 06:15 PM
Mike

I took it to a ford dealer (Totem Ford in Vancouver, BC) last week as I
had to leave town and ran out of time to deal with it. I picked it up
yesterday.

I picked it up yesterday. It still wasn't fixed but had a bill of
$1300. After a bunch of work and tracing things they think it is the
computer but don't really know they can't find one in all of Canada to
test their theory.

The finally "found" a code indicating a problem with the variable
camshaft timing system (VCT). The VCT is what Ford designed (poorly)
to replace the EGR system. It adjusts the exhaust cam timimg.

They did an intial battery of exams which included testing the fuel,
checking for vacuum leaks, etc. They cleaned the MAF, replaced the VCT
solenoid, the timing belt, spark plugs (they claimed that the NGK plugs
I used causes problems with the computer readings). Then they
performed a bunch of tests with no real solution.

What they found is that on "snap throttle" the fuel to the engine is
not increasing. According to them however the vacuum drops and the
fuel pressure increases as it should. So it could be fuel injector
controls but they think it is the computer not telling the injectors to
put in more fuel under this condition. I am not convinced as I get
both the stall problem and the mild backfire problem which almost
totally goes away when the engine is hot. The problem is that the
engine runs very lean in this condition.

So basically I am out $1300 and no closer to a solution.

Something I thought of and wanted to ask the group:
If I understand correctly, the computer doesn't use the O2 sensor until
the car is warm?

What if the computer always thinks it is warm?

Then it would be using the readings from the O2 sensor in a cold state.
So I just need to know if the cold state of the O2 sensor is to go
lean or warm. If it is to go lean then we have a possible solution to
the problem. Now I just need to find where the computer's temp guage
is.

thanks,
Mike