1966 Beetle Color problem

Old June 20th 05, 08:54 PM
Dane Tyler

Default 1966 Beetle Color problem

Try this website:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/colorchrt.htm

Old June 20th 05, 09:05 PM
tricky

You can check the original colour from the factory, from the chassis
number. Many sites have the listings. If no one post any links, I will
have a look.

Rich

Old June 20th 05, 09:19 PM
Speedy Jim

classicrescue wrote:

> I am completely restoring a 1966 VW Beetle. A previous owner has
> sprayed it red but it’s not a proper Beetle colour. (It looks like
> Ford Rosso Red) I would like to re-spray it a Volkswagen color but
> having searched the web trying to see samples of red paint for that
> year I’m not having much luck. Anyone have any links, Photos or
> suggestions. I did find a website which showed ’Fiery Red’ but the
> sample panel for some reason was nearly BLACK. so I’m still no wiser.

Dave Hall:
http://www.hallvw.clara.net/vwpaint.htm
says Garnada Red for '66,
but Garwood's book says Ruby Red was still used in '66.

Thru '64:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res8xdt9/

OEM paint mfr:
http://www.glasuritnet.com/

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old June 20th 05, 10:45 PM
Tim Rogers

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message

> http://www.hallvw.clara.net/vwpaint.htm
> says Garnada Red for '66,
> but Garwood's book says Ruby Red was still used in '66.
>
> Thru '64:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res8xdt9/
>
> OEM paint mfr:
> http://www.glasuritnet.com/

................My 66 was ruby red and I've seen other 66's that had it too.

Old June 21st 05, 06:35 AM
classicrescue

"thr" wrote:
> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
> >
> > http://www.hallvw.clara.net/vwpaint.htm
> > says Garnada Red for '66,
> > but Garwood's book says Ruby Red was still used in '66.
> >
> > Thru '64:
> > http://mysite.verizon.net/res8xdt9/
> >
> > OEM paint mfr:
> > http://www.glasuritnet.com/
> >

> ................My 66 was ruby red and I've seen other 66's
> that had it too.

Thanks Guys

After reading all your helpful replies. I’m fairly convinced that the
color is Ruby red.
There is a small, remaining area of the original color under the dash,
behind the wiring loom.

I had already seen some of the websites you kindly supplied, but those
in Speedy Jim’s post I hadn’t seen.

I will have a look at the chassis number and follow the advice of
Tricky. Yes please a link or two would be helpful.

Thr has probably confirmed it because his (or her) 1966 Beetle was
also Ruby Red, while the other sites suggested that Ruby Red only
applied up to 1965.

Once again, Thanks to everyone who replied. As you can see I’m a Newby
to this site.

Great Website, by the way

Graham. UK

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/VW-Aircool...ict125374.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=610931
Old June 21st 05, 09:41 AM
tricky

> I will have a look at the chassis number and follow the advice of
> Tricky. Yes please a link or two would be helpful.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/colorchrt.htm

Graham - where abouts in the UK are you ?

Ruch (UK)
Old June 21st 05, 09:45 AM
tricky

> I will have a look at the chassis number and follow the advice of
> Tricky. Yes please a link or two would be helpful.

http://www.wackyracers.co.uk/tech-re...lourcodes.html

There are many others. Google if you get the time !

Rich
Old June 25th 05, 05:42 PM
Howard Rose

On 20 Jun 2005 15:39:08 -0400, classicrescue
> wrote:

>I am completely restoring a 1966 VW Beetle. A previous owner has
>sprayed it red but it’s not a proper Beetle colour. (It looks like
>Ford Rosso Red) I would like to re-spray it a Volkswagen color but
>having searched the web trying to see samples of red paint for that
>year I’m not having much luck. Anyone have any links, Photos or
>suggestions. I did find a website which showed ’Fiery Red’ but the
>sample panel for some reason was nearly BLACK. so I’m still no wiser.

The only red used in 1966 is L456 Ruby Red, which is a rather bright
red.

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe