Toyota pickup in TopGear

Old December 12th 03, 12:16 AM
Willem-Jan Markerink

Default Toyota pickup in TopGear

Note the poisonous last sentence Julian....)))

"Willem-Jan Markerink" > wrote in
:

> xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> For those who don't watch the BBC...
>
> Their "Top Gear" programme has been testing the thesis that a Toyota
> pickup is indestructible. They bought an old pickup truck (Hilux?
> 4-runner? I'm not good at pick-ups) and:
>
> - drove it into a tree
> - drowned it in the Bristol Channel (completely immersed in salt water

for
> 12 hours, the tie-downs were broken by rip tide) - hit it with a wrecking
> ball on the end of a demolition crane - drove it through a shed - dropped
> a caravan on it - set fire to it
>
> And it still started and ran (all they did was use ordinary tools + new
> oil & fuel)
>
> Finally last night they placed it on top of a 240 foot tower block that
> was then completely demolished by explosives. They pulled it out of the
> wreckage, added fuel and oil, and it ran - just.
>
> Insane, but impressive!
>
> Christopher Bell
> Devon, UK
> 1996 1HD-FT
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
As you maybe aware the BBC's weekly motoring programme Top Gear recently
decided to test how tough these 4X4s are as the vehicle appears everywhere
in news reports serving a mutlitude of various roles all over the world

The base vehicle was a 15 year old heap purchased for about £1,200.00 less
that $2,000.00 from a farmer where it had had a hard life having clocked up
over 130,000 miles and the body work was showing it......

Test 1
Drive it at 30mph into a tree ( front right courner - driver's side in the
UK )
Result - Bent bull bar, broken light & front panel damage
Truck carries on

Test 2
Drive it around Bristol, an old industrial town.
Trough tight streets where it ripped out huge stones from 150 year old
walls, down lots of steps & generally bash it about
Result - some more panel damage
Truck carries on

Test 3
Drop it 30 foot from a crane
No damage
Truck carries on

Test 4
Drop a caravan on it from 30 feet
Result - Top lip of bed is bent
Truck carries on

Test 5
Trash the truck
No apparent Damage
Truck carries on

Test 6
The Wash
Strap the vehicle down to the pier in the Bristol Channel
This has one of the Strongest and fastes Tidal Flows in the British Isles
and wait for the tide to come in
Initial Damage
Windows blown out by tide
Then
The 3" diameter mooring ropes ( used by the Royal National Lifeboat
Institution ) tethering down the vehicle break under the strain and the
vehicle is swept out to sea.
Several hours later when the tide has gone out the vehicle is found several
miles away partially burried in the estury bed.
Vehicle is righted and after drying out & a bit of water dispersing oil &
some petrol poured directly into the carb it starts up.
Truck carries on
New windscreen put in so it can be driven legally on the road to.....

Test 7
Wrecking ball
Bash it around by swinging a wrecking ball into it.
Result - severe dent to rear tail gate.
Truck carries on

Test 7
Fire
Set light to interior & bed then stand well back
Return to truck after fire has gone out.
Result - Interior blackened - new windscreen cracked
Some minor tinkering & truck starts
Truck carries on

No major parts were replaced during or after any of the test.
Oils were checked & topped up if necessary
Only minor tinkering by 1 mechanic with the most basic tools was allowed

This week

Test 8
Demolition
Place the same battered old truck near the top of a 20 storey block of
flats
Then
Blow it all up
Truck falls over 150 feet along with building it is on
Wait for dust to settle
Unearth truck ( rather roughly with digger ) which is on its roof and roll
( several times ) it to the bottom of the pile of rubble some 30 feet
Result - Major body damage
Cracked chassis frame. Body work is holding vehicle & frame together
Some minor tinkering and truck starts
Truck carries on
&
Drives into Studio

The presenters suggested retiring the truck & putting on a platform as a
statue to its toughness which the whole audience agreed with.

All the time there was this "Gun Fight at the OK Coral" music playing which
really set the scene

Cool compulsive viewing

Makes you proud to own one

I hope Toyota use it in their marketing

Now lets try it with a Land Rover and a Jeep. We'll have a short program.

Joe
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Btw, you don't want to try this with a LR either....)
(gasoline turbo)

http://home.attbi.com/~rkrenn/bigballs.wmv

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

The desire to understand
is sometimes far less intelligent than
the inability to understand

[note: 'a-one' & 'en-el'!]
Old December 12th 03, 03:39 AM
Exit

Willem-Jan Markerink wrote:
> Note the poisonous last sentence Julian....)))

Top gear is a great comedy show - no one takes it seriously except you
trying to validate an old pickup

--
Julian
---------

Old December 12th 03, 03:39 AM
Exit

Old December 12th 03, 03:40 PM
Willem-Jan Markerink

"Klaas Ensing" > wrote in news:brbtj8$r2g$1
@news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl:

> "Exit" > schreef in bericht
>> >

>> Top gear is a great comedy show - no one takes it seriously

> He, gelukkig ben ik dus niet de enige die het slechts een 'comedy show'
> vindt.

Strange though that car manufacturers risk their most expensive cars in that
show for testing....a risk far higher than in any other show....

Old December 12th 03, 03:40 PM
Willem-Jan Markerink

Old December 15th 03, 03:08 AM
Exit

Willem-Jan Markerink wrote:
> "Klaas Ensing" > wrote in news:brbtj8$r2g$1
> @news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl:
>

>> "Exit" > schreef in bericht
>>>>
>>> Top gear is a great comedy show - no one takes it seriously

>> He, gelukkig ben ik dus niet de enige die het slechts een 'comedy
>> show' vindt.
>>

> Strange though that car manufacturers risk their most expensive cars
> in that show for testing....a risk far higher than in any other
> show....

Not really - it is the BBC. . . . . . . ;-)

--
Julian
---------

Old December 15th 03, 03:08 AM
Exit

Willem-Jan Markerink wrote:
> "Klaas Ensing" > wrote in news:brbtj8$r2g$1
> @news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl:
>

>> "Exit" > schreef in bericht
>>>>
>>> Top gear is a great comedy show - no one takes it seriously

>> He, gelukkig ben ik dus niet de enige die het slechts een 'comedy
>> show' vindt.
>>

> Strange though that car manufacturers risk their most expensive cars
> in that show for testing....a risk far higher than in any other
> show....

Not really - it is the BBC. . . . . . . ;-)

--
Julian
---------