The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

Old September 14th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Colella

Default The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview
mirror off the windshield.

Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the
windshield did not fail; the glass did.

To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate
and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a
dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.

I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to-
windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what
is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface?

Thanks!

Joe Colella

Old September 14th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark Henry

Joe,

Personally, I'd replace the windshield and dock Jr's allowance until
it's paid for. If that's not an option, then I'd use a 2-part clear
epoxy available through most stores.

Best of luck,

Mark Henry
2006 Mustang V6
Old September 14th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Colella

Mark,

Like J B Weld?

Joe

Old September 14th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mark Henry

Joe Colella wrote:

> Like J B Weld?

Joe,

I don't have any experience with JB Weld for this application. I usually
use Loctite Epoxy in the syringe:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...007&lpage=none

You have to make sure that both the windshield and the glue are at the
same temperature and within the proper operating range. The windshield
and glass fragment will have to be completely clean before application.

Good luck,

mark h

Old September 15th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

Mark Henry > wrote in
:

> Joe Colella wrote:
>>
>> Like J B Weld?
>>

> Joe,
>
> I don't have any experience with JB Weld for this application. I
> usually use Loctite Epoxy in the syringe:
> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=152007-

13
> 3-152007&lpage=none
>
> You have to make sure that both the windshield and the glue are at the
> same temperature and within the proper operating range. The windshield
> and glass fragment will have to be completely clean before
> application.
>
> Good luck,
>
> mark h

If that chip turns into a crack, you can kiss the whole shebang goodbye.
Now is the time to replace the whole windshield - forget about patching
the hole. Don't mess around with windshields. 2 cents.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old September 15th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Colella

"Mark Henry" > wrote in message
> Joe Colella wrote:
>>
>> Like J B Weld?
>>

> Joe,
>
> I don't have any experience with JB Weld for this application. I usually
> use Loctite Epoxy in the syringe:
> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...007&lpage=none
>
> You have to make sure that both the windshield and the glue are at the
> same temperature and within the proper operating range. The windshield and
> glass fragment will have to be completely clean before application.
>
> Good luck,
>
> mark h

Thanks!

Old September 15th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe Colella

"Joe" > wrote in message
> Mark Henry > wrote in
> :
>
>> Joe Colella wrote:
>>>
>>> Like J B Weld?
>>>

>> Joe,
>>
>> I don't have any experience with JB Weld for this application. I
>> usually use Loctite Epoxy in the syringe:
>> http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=152007-

> 13
>> 3-152007&lpage=none
>>
>> You have to make sure that both the windshield and the glue are at the
>> same temperature and within the proper operating range. The windshield
>> and glass fragment will have to be completely clean before
>> application.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> mark h

> If that chip turns into a crack, you can kiss the whole shebang goodbye.
> Now is the time to replace the whole windshield - forget about patching
> the hole. Don't mess around with windshields. 2 cents.
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Thanks for the advice!

Old September 15th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kate[_3_]

Believe it or not, the windshield is actually part of the structural
integrity of the vehicle.
To patch it, is - well, in a word - stupid.

It would be a Comp claim on your insurance, get it taken care of and do it
right.
Trying to patch it is not only unsafe, could get you a ticket, it could
shatter in your face while going down the freeway or whatever. Don't be a
knucklehead, get it done, and get it done RIGHT

Kate