Hope no-one got the wrong idea about me before.

Old May 23rd 04, 09:36 PM
MeatballTurbo

Default Hope no-one got the wrong idea about me before.

The jump from a £500-£2k wasn't intended.

I just mentioned that I was used to spending sub £500 for cheap, tatty
but solid motors that did what I needed them to do, but wanted something
better now.

The budget was always going to be £2k or if possible less.

On the subject of 8v Vs 16v (chain Vs Belt). I know the belt is a more
expensive option, and probably mechanicaly beyond my capabilities ATM,
so unless documented as done recently I would have to negotiate in the
cost of a belt change, or take the hit for it.

I normally do arround 10-14k a year, mainly arround the 12k, normally
just commuting, mainly motorway.

If I was to arrange a decent dealer spec service, and belt change, with
my normal driving, I would be looking at 2-2 1/2 years before being hit
with another one. I tend to keep car 1-2 years, no more. The better the
car, the longer it stays with me. Also, as someone who hasn't been
driving long, I'm working my way through car that I've always fancied
over the years (being 35 has it's advantages) for reasonable insurance.

It might be a Skoda one year, a Saab ths time, I've always like Alfas,
after being passenger in a mates Sud, and Sud Sprint during my
impressionable formative spotty years.

It will be my first Alfa, I might try something else after wards, as I'm
doing with the Saab, but as with the Saab it won't be my last.

I can't just say yes or no to a particular Marque without trying it.
Plan is, I've had a Saab turbo, I want to experience an Alfa. A 911 is
smethig I dream of, even (especially?) the twitchy short wheelbase
aircooled models, although a 944 would be something I could see myself
in, and to round things off, a Ur quattro.

Having lived with Turbo lag, and understeer for a year, I want to try
something that has a smoother delivery, even if it needs reving to get
it in exchange for a fantastic sound, and pin sharp handling, later as
money gets easier, the twitch out of a corner of a 911 on the gas might
become something I budget four, or the warp factor on rails handling of
a quattro. Who knows what I will end up, so don't dismiss me as not
being serious about the responsibility of owning an Alfa.

What ever car I own at the time, even if it is £95 beige Skoda estelle
is th most fantastic car on the road, and gets mechanically and
cosmetically cherished. When the time comes to find something else
(normally my Sciatica kicks in and tells me) I can switch of the good
stuff, and only find the niggles to make parting easy, but I will never
slagg of a brand of car I've owned. I might admit to it's weekenesses,
but just because I've changed cars, doesn't make the old one any less of
a wonderful machine.

I'm serious about looking for something italian, preferably red, that
handles sublimely, and doesn't cost like a ferrari to buy or maintain.

RWD would be nice, but good sharp smooth FWD would be a suitable
compromise. I guess, fromthe opinions I recieved here, I guess I'm
better off looking for either a lucky find of a 75, or an 8v 2.0 TS 155.

I usually have a nose for unloved but solid cars that need some TLC. I
hope that I can keep that up with an Alfa.

Thanks for listening, Sorry for the wine fueled sunday night rant after
watching the Manx rally and Topgear on the TV.
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)