Need an SUV that can hold two 9' 4" kayaks

Old January 27th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Need an SUV that can hold two 9' 4" kayaks

Thanks for your thoughts. The wagon is a '96 Buick Wagon and we put
the kayaks in last summer! You are right, though, they did have to be
put in at an angle. Joanne always tells the plywood story too. (Great
vehicle and she is holding on to it for dear life!!!)
I'm gonna check out the Yukon, but I think I will end up with
a roof rack.
Do you know if there are any SUV's that have a passenger
seat that will fold down truly flat?
Frank

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:44:18 -0800, Robert Ball >
wrote:

>8' might fit, but not two 9'+ kayaks. One might fit if the front
>passenger seat is folded down but not both of them, and that limits
>seating to driver and one or two behind him, depending on the 1/3 2/3
>split in the folding 2nd seat. You might get one or two 2X4's in but not
>kayaks. Roof rack on a SUV, trailer, crew cab pickup with lumber rack
>type sports rack, or 8' bed pickup with tailgate down, or 8' bed with
>kayaks projecting up over cab or out over the top of tailgate. Highly
>unlikely that the old wagon fit 9' either unless they stick up over the
>front seat or maybe you gain that extra foot by putting them in on an
>angle; the old full size GM wagons could carry 4X8' plywood in the back
>with tailgate down (77 Chev and 86 Olds, others may vary).
>
>Jeff B wrote:
>
>> I would think a Yukon XL or Suburban would/should/could handle it....
>>Here's an idea,
>>Take the Yukon XL on a test drive to your house..... toss the Kayaks in and
>>presto.... you'll know right then if your a buyer or not.....
>>
>> I did something similar when my wife and I were looking for a new
>>ride..... we test drove a new Yukon XL..... took it directly to our house,
>>opened the garage door and drove it in...... if it didn't fit we'd have to
>>look for another alternative........ It fit...... with about a foot to spare
>>front and back.... we LOVE the truck...... couldn't be happier. ;-)
>>However, with 70,000 miles on the clock now it's no longer new and needs
>>some SUPER expensive shocks (Autoride System) but we have been VERY pleased
>>with our purchase...
>>
>>Hope this helps....
>>Jeff B In Maine
>>
>>================================================ =================

. ..

Old January 27th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Not exactly what I had in mind, but thanks!

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:37:49 +0100, Erik-Jan Geniets

Old January 28th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Need an SUV that can hold two 9' 4

Frank,
Ican'tthink of any thing out there that will help you. Have you considered
a trailer? That might be your best bet.

Old January 28th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I don't know of any in the big size but not familiar with big Ford
SUV's. Some the the Subaru's come close to folding flat but they are
too small to meet your need.

Old January 28th 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

This large Ford will carry them...

http://www.thundersgarage.com/4wdrv.html

and it's for sale too!