Leather vs vinyl

Old August 13th 08, 10:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

Default Leather vs vinyl

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote:
> Dave Plowman (News) > wrote:
>>In article >,
>> Alan B. Mac Farlane > wrote:
>>> cloth sucks, it is dirty, hard to clean, and no where near as durable as
>>> leather or vinyl

>>Perhaps that is true of BMW 'cloth'. But certainly not true of all.

> There is no BMW cloth, at least in the US. The Mercedes cloth is nice,
> although I will concede it is more prone to stain problems than the vinyl.

Come look at the cloth in my 06 330Ci. That was one option they
still let me build into it.

Bob

P.S. Your part is ready for pickup.

Old August 13th 08, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:46:26 +0100, "David Skelton"
> wrote:
>
>I don't think that the 'Dakota' leather in recent BMW's is real leather. My
>doesn't feel like leather should. It's too soft and there is a strange
>'skin' that is like a veneer.

Most mass-market leather for the last 20 years or more is not what
most people think of as leather - i.e. top grain cowhide. The Chinese
in particular have been processing and selling leather using new
processes that take the second and third layers of the hide, including
pigskin, that result in a finish that look kind of like you'd expect
"real" leather to look.

Top grain cowhide leather is very costly. You'll only find it in
*very* expensive cars. I suspect that "Dakota leather" is a sneaky
marketing term for some kind of sub-top grain leather.
--
Dan.
Old August 13th 08, 11:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dean Dark > wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:46:26 +0100, "David Skelton"
> > wrote:
> >
> >I don't think that the 'Dakota' leather in recent BMW's is real
> >leather. My doesn't feel like leather should. It's too soft and there
> >is a strange 'skin' that is like a veneer.

> Most mass-market leather for the last 20 years or more is not what
> most people think of as leather - i.e. top grain cowhide. The Chinese
> in particular have been processing and selling leather using new
> processes that take the second and third layers of the hide, including
> pigskin, that result in a finish that look kind of like you'd expect
> "real" leather to look.

> Top grain cowhide leather is very costly. You'll only find it in
> *very* expensive cars. I suspect that "Dakota leather" is a sneaky
> marketing term for some kind of sub-top grain leather.

I'm sure there are grades of leather like everything else. It's certainly
far cheaper these days than it once was.
I live in the part of London quite close to where the Connolly leather
works used to be - long since closed and now a housing estate. But some of
the street names reflect the past. I visited it once to get a Bentley seat
fixed - the driver's one was scruffy while the rest near perfect. For a
very small charge they soon made it look like new - including replacing a
split panel.

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 14th 08, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
D.

anyone who sings the praises of cloth
seats could not afford leather nor ever had them .
vinyl means " PLASTIC " !
what a ridiculous discussion .
Dick

Old August 14th 08, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Aug 13, 6:14*pm, Dean Dark > wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:46:26 +0100, "David Skelton"
>
> > wrote:
>
> >I don't think that the 'Dakota' leather in recent BMW's is real leather. My
> >doesn't feel like leather should. It's too soft and there is a strange
> >'skin' that is like a veneer.

> Most mass-market leather for the last 20 years or more is not what
> most people think of as leather - i.e. top grain cowhide. *The Chinese
> in particular have been processing and selling leather using new
> processes that take the second and third layers of the hide, including
> pigskin, that result in a finish that look kind of like you'd expect
> "real" leather to look.
>
> Top grain cowhide leather is very costly. *You'll only find it in
> *very* expensive cars. *I suspect that "Dakota leather" is a sneaky
> marketing term for some kind of sub-top grain leather.
> --

Every other layer of the cowhide except the top layer (top grain) is
would look like suede. They then take suede and apply a thin layer of
polyurethane on it that simulates top grain leather. In asia it's
called "Action Leather". It's a synthetic surface applied to a
suede. Action leather does not breathe or wear like top grain unless
micro perforations are put in the polyurethane. You can't use regular
leather treatment on it either. Treat it more like vinyl.

Sam S.
Old August 14th 08, 12:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Alan B. Mac Farlane wrote:

>cloth sucks, it is dirty, hard to clean, and no where near as durable as
>leather or vinyl ...

Utter nonsense. Buy a clue.

Old August 14th 08, 12:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"Jack" > wrote in message
>I know most 3-series have leatherette, aka vinyl. I'm in the marker for a
>330 Coupe...but just the mention of vinyl cheapens it. What's the general
>opinion of leatherette/leather ??
>
> Thanks

BMW "pleather" is pretty good. It's not as comfortable as leather, but
doesn't show wear and doesn't require maintenance. Most US 3-series are
going to be leather cars ... its almost a requirement that dealers order the
premium package which includes leather and power seats.

Unless you get into the premium range (M-cars, 6 and 7 series) BMW leather
is surface dyed. That tends to lose its color in the high wear areas
(driver's seat LH bolsters).

R / John

Old August 14th 08, 12:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Jack wrote:

>I know most 3-series have leatherette, aka vinyl. I'm in the marker for a
>330 Coupe...but just the mention of vinyl cheapens it.

Congrats! You're a snob!

>What's the general
>opinion of leatherette/leather ??

Leather is a FAR from optimal material for car seating-surfaces.
People want it for the snob-appeal, not the performance.

Old August 14th 08, 12:50 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jack[_16_]

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> Jack wrote:
>
>>I know most 3-series have leatherette, aka vinyl. I'm in the marker for a
>>330 Coupe...but just the mention of vinyl cheapens it.

> Congrats! You're a snob!

no quite...yet...still a work in progress!

Old August 14th 08, 12:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
dizzy > wrote:
> Leather is a FAR from optimal material for car seating-surfaces.
> People want it for the snob-appeal, not the performance.

Gotta be better than vinyl, though.

--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.