'90 ZR1

Old September 22nd 04, 07:03 PM
Tom Crabtree

Default '90 ZR1

Howdy!

Have the opportunity to pick a (extremely) low miles '90 ZR1 in like new
condition.
Car has never been wrecked and has always been in climate controlled
storage. It's been routinely serviced and extremely well cared for.

Are there any issues that I should be aware of before I sign the check?

I won't say how much it will cost me, but suffice to say that it is well
within my budget, and that I consider it a great deal.

TomC

p.s., Diode, I forgive you
p.p.s., SHUT UP DAVE!

Old September 23rd 04, 01:34 PM
Black Bomb

Hi Tom

My buddy recently picked up a 91 ZR1. It's a real amazing car and extreamly
fast. The only issues he has is that the engine is a little complicated to
work on & the parts are a little on the expensive side. Remember, if you
pick up that car, you'll have 1 out of 6000 LT5's....It's a pretty good
investment.

Good Luck

Dan
89 Blk on Blk

Old September 23rd 04, 01:34 PM
Black Bomb

Old September 23rd 04, 03:34 PM
Bob G.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:34:35 -0400, "Black Bomb"
> wrote:

>Hi Tom
>
>My buddy recently picked up a 91 ZR1. It's a real amazing car and extreamly
>fast. The only issues he has is that the engine is a little complicated to
>work on & the parts are a little on the expensive side. Remember, if you
>pick up that car, you'll have 1 out of 6000 LT5's....It's a pretty good
>investment.
>
>Good Luck
>
>Dan
>89 Blk on Blk

=============================

I honestly do NOT think any ZR1 is much of an
investment...(financially that is)...smiles per mile is another story
althgether

The Vettenet has had a long list of posts within the last few days
comparing the 405 Hp versions of the ZR1 vs the 405 Hp versions of the
Z)6 ...ON SPEED... The conclusions are that the ZR1 will in fact do
180 mph in 5th before the rev limiter kicks in at 7050 rmp wheras the
Z06 because it is limited to under 6800 rom will only do a little over
170 mph ..again in 5th... in the Quarter the Z06 wins ...mostly
because it weighs less then the ZR1 .. The ZR1 makes up some of that
disadvantage by having better aerodynamicys ...

Personally the parts issue for the ZR1 makes me very hesitant to even
consider buying one... If I were going to invest (both for financial
and smiles per mile reasons) in any C4 it would be without doubt a
Grand Sport....

The bottom line is I sure as hell would welcome any ZR1 in my garage
however... hell I would even add another bay to the garage if one came
into my hands... lol ya gota do what ya gota do sort of
reasoning....

Bob Griffiths
68 SS 396 Chevelle
64 & 72 Corvette Convertibles
76 79 & 95 Corvette Coupes....

the 79 is a slush box..everything else is row your own...
Old September 23rd 04, 03:34 PM
Bob G.

=============================

Old September 23rd 04, 04:04 PM
Black Bomb

I agree Bob..I would take the Grand Sport in first. I would also consider a
CE and a regular Vette 96 with the LT4.

Dan
89 Coupe Blk on Blk

Old September 23rd 04, 04:04 PM
Black Bomb

Old September 23rd 04, 04:28 PM
Dad

"Bob G." > wrote in message
> comparing the 405 Hp versions of the ZR1 vs the 405 Hp versions of the
> Z)6 ...ON SPEED... The conclusions are that the ZR1 will in fact do
> 180 mph in 5th before the rev limiter kicks in at 7050 rmp wheras the
> Z06 because it is limited to under 6800 rom will only do a little over
> 170 mph ..again in 5th... in the Quarter the Z06 wins ...mostly
> because it weighs less then the ZR1 .. The ZR1 makes up some of that
> disadvantage by having better aerodynamicys ...
>
> Personally the parts issue for the ZR1 makes me very hesitant to even
> consider buying one... If I were going to invest (both for financial
> and smiles per mile reasons) in any C4 it would be without doubt a
> Grand Sport....

Now you're talking, one of 1,000 and a bullet proof engine. Plus you're not
stuck with the coupe if you can find one of the 190 convertibles. Actually I
still don't like the ZR1 for lots of reasons, many of those being the
dollars that it has lost for many owners, but then they can pay for their
bragging rights. It was/is a weak effort at kissing up to the multi valve
engine crowd. Some additional top end (like where in the hell can you use
that?) and little else for mega dollars. One thing it did do is foster a
better looking rear end than the notch tail. The other draw back is the
"flexable flyer" frame that all C4's have. Save your money and get a C3 or a
C5.

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old September 23rd 04, 04:28 PM
Dad

Old September 24th 04, 12:47 AM
Tom Crabtree

Bob:

>>I honestly do NOT think any ZR1 is much of an
>>investment...(financially that is)...smiles per mile is another story
>>althgether

Investment?
Bah!
Never heard of the word. Don't know what it means. Don't particularly
care either.
Heck.
I'll be 45 this year and it's high time for mid-life crisis. Both my
sons are married off and gone (for now anyway...) a mistress is out of
the question (already have the worlds greatest wife, better than I
deserve), drugs and alcohol no longer have the appeal they once had (nor
the social acceptance anymore) and all the good tasting food is bad for
your health.

She's a one owner (I'll be #2) Roman Red with beige interior, 6 speed,
all the goodies. Less than 5k miles on her.

You'll recognize me, I'm that middle aged geek with the big smile on his
face.
(until I have to pay for the insurance that is)...

TomC