Using the proper oil

Old August 23rd 05, 07:24 PM

Default Using the proper oil

I recently did an oil change on a '93 Buick Century. I used a 5W/ 30
oil. After I was finished putting the oil in, I read on the cap " use
10W/30". Is it a problem if I use a lighter weight? Thanks.

Old August 23rd 05, 07:57 PM
Earle Horton

You are supposed to read the cap before putting oil in, but I guess you
figured that out by now. 5W30 is not optimal, but it won't make your engine
seize after ten miles. If you change your oil every 2000 to 3000 miles, I
wouldn't worry about it. If you change it at a year or 7000 miles, then
consider putting 10W30 in it. What are we talking about here, ten dollars
worth of oil?

Your oil gauge or indicator light will tell you if the pressure in the oil
feed passages is too low, but that isn't your real worry. What you have to
worry about, is the instantaneous pressure at the crankshaft bearings. 5W30
is probably good enough, unless you plan on racing the vehicle.

There is no real answer to this question.

Earle

ups.com...

Old August 23rd 05, 08:18 PM
Bret Ludwig

Probably not, but if it's a 93 it probably has a lot of time (miles) on
it, so the clearances are even wider than when made. It's usually best
to put in heavier oils the older an engine gets.

Old August 23rd 05, 09:22 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think you are asking for it. Especially if it's still up around a
hundred degrees, and you use the air conditioning. Just, consider it an
flush, like they did in the old days. Like you may be hearing your main
bearings knock as they refill after it sitting, now
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 23rd 05, 11:00 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,
I think I'd get all those metal to metal shavings out of there,
too. The car's a '93 at twenty thousand a year it has well over two
hundred thousand miles, now the equivalent of three.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 23rd 05, 11:13 PM
Billy Ray

If he has that many miles he should consider 15W-40 or 20W-50 wouldn't you
think?

I used Shell's Rotella T 15W-40 for a long time in high mileage cars

--
..

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 23rd 05, 11:43 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Bill,
Yes, I use Pennzoil 20/50 in my '89 Thunderbird, and '78 Bronco,
both with over three hundred thousand miles on them without have their
heads removed: http://www.billhughes.com/smog.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old August 24th 05, 01:06 AM
J Strickland

No, it'll leak out faster than the thicker oil, that's a downside. But it'll
get into the tight places -- if there are any left -- easier in winter,
that's an upside.

ups.com...

Old August 24th 05, 01:12 AM
Jerry Bransford

5W-30 and 10W-30 are both the same 30 weight oil once warmed up. In
talking to both Mobil and Shell reps a few times on the 5W vs. 10W at
startup, they have begun to change my thinking on using 5W-30 vs. using
10W-30. I used to avoid 5W-30 thinking the 5 weight oil when the engine
was cold was too thin. Both reps assured me that the 5 weight oil
circulates a lot faster when the engine is cold which gives better
protection at start up. That both 5W-30 and 10W-30 become 30 weight
once warm means they're equal at that time.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:
> I think you are asking for it. Especially if it's still up around a
> hundred degrees, and you use the air conditioning. Just, consider it an
> flush, like they did in the old days. Like you may be hearing your main
> bearings knock as they refill after it sitting, now
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> wrote:
>
>>I recently did an oil change on a '93 Buick Century. I used a 5W/ 30
>>oil. After I was finished putting the oil in, I read on the cap " use
>>10W/30". Is it a problem if I use a lighter weight? Thanks.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
See the Geezer Jeep at