156 Cambelt - Help

Old May 17th 05, 07:21 PM
Alan

> Hi,
>
> I have just had a cambelt failure at 67k on my 156 2.0 TS.

Get away!

>I am taking
> Alfa UK to small claims court, and would very much welcome any
> information about service schedules, alfa policy, dealer advice,
> previous cases of payments etc etc.

Have you only started looking at the newsgroups since you've suffered this
failure? I agree that according to the service manual you're not required
to have had the belt changed - just about.

X Reg could be anywhere from late 2000 - early 2001, when was your
registered? I suppose it doesn't really matter as it can't be 5 years old
yet.

If you can persuade one of our European friends to drop into their local
Alfa dealer and run you off a copy of an official document, stating it
should be changed at 36K miles or 3 years, you will be adding weight to your
case.

I became the proud owner this week of a 1.8 Veloce 2001 (Y) 38K Miles, has
had the timing belt changed, which was my one of my top priorities, having
researched the car. Had I not been able to find one that had been changed,
I would have beaten the seller down (with the wealth of evidence available)
by a few hundred to cover the cost of getting it changed asap.

Good luck

Alan

Old May 18th 05, 09:41 AM
Mr Flipflops

"pascal" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have just had a cambelt failure at 67k on my 156 2.0 TS. I am taking
> Alfa UK to small claims court, and would very much welcome any
> information about service schedules, alfa policy, dealer advice,
> previous cases of payments etc etc.
> If I win, I intend to go to the media too, to make sure other people
> where aware of this problem. To my mind Alfa are negligent, it would
> cost them very little to send a piece of paper to all registered alfa
> ownwers saying for eg, please paste into service book, cambelt to be
> chamged at 48k or something similar.
>
> Any help is greatly accepted, and Alfa mechanics or employees please
> get in touch - I will keep this updated on how I get on.

It says 72k in my book too, for the V6, also an X reg. It's done nearly
96000 miles, and the first cambelt change was done at around 73,000. Full
Alfa history all the way, so I'd be doing the same as you if it happened to
me. If you're lucky they won't even bother turning up to defend it. Oh,
and I did ask the dealer about it too and it was stated (for the V6 anyway)
that it was not recommended as such, just that it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Rgds

Stuart

Old June 7th 05, 07:35 PM
POG

"pascal" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just had a cambelt failure at 67k on my 156 2.0 TS. I
> am taking
> Alfa UK to small claims court, and would very much welcome any
> information about service schedules, alfa policy, dealer
> advice,
> previous cases of payments etc etc.
> If I win, I intend to go to the media too, to make sure other
> people
> where aware of this problem. To my mind Alfa are negligent, it
> would
> cost them very little to send a piece of paper to all
> registered alfa
> ownwers saying for eg, please paste into service book, cambelt
> to be
> chamged at 48k or something similar.
>
> Any help is greatly accepted, and Alfa mechanics or employees
> please
> get in touch - I will keep this updated on how I get on.
>
> Thanks
>
> Pascal

Just had the cambelt go on my 51 (2001) 1.6 147 TS - at 46k - had the
cambelt checked at 36k by the dealer & they recommended change at 48k
- car didn’t make it. Anyone reckon there is any chance of not having
to spend 2k on fixing it & getting Alfa to cough up - after all - if
they had said change the cambelt at 36k I would, wouldn’t I.......

Cheers Paul..........

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Alfa-Romeo...ict120381.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=601002