156 Headlight adjusting

Old February 22nd 06, 11:39 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default 156 Headlight adjusting

I have a 156 which I bought as a uk spec car from a german dealer and
imported to the UK
I have now moved toSpain and aminthe processof registering the car.
Does any one know if the headlights can be adjusted so they dip the
correct way for driving on the RIGHT side

Old February 22nd 06, 12:09 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 156 which I bought as a uk spec car from a german dealer and
> imported to the UK
> I have now moved toSpain and aminthe processof registering the car.
> Does any one know if the headlights can be adjusted so they dip the
> correct way for driving on the RIGHT side

Unlikely. The dipping of the beam is related to the lens, not mechanical
adjustment.
You are likely to need to replace the whole light assembly to get the
correct lens. Expensive.
Also if you have only 1 reversing light and 1 rear foglight they will be on
the wrong side for Continental driving and these rear light assemblies may
also have to be changed.
You maybe lucky on Ebay.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old February 22nd 06, 08:12 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi Paul
> Thanks for your warp drive reply. Fortunately its the selespeed model
> so has fog and reversing lights as pairs both sides. Have just been
> checking and there is an adjustment which I will try when it gets dark
> and see if its enough for the front. Will let everyone know the
> outcome. Other than that I have also found a company in North Spain
> that will deliver to us at a price of around 100 Euro/70 each. Are they
> easy to remove and fit do you know ?
>
> Many Thanks
> Adrian

Sorry Adrian, I'm more familiar with the 147. All I know, from reading posts
in this group, is that changing bulbs in 156 headlamp assemblies can be a
little fraught and best not done with young children or parrots around.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old February 23rd 06, 12:06 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Paul Woodsford wrote:

> Sorry Adrian, I'm more familiar with the 147. All I know, from reading posts
> in this group, is that changing bulbs in 156 headlamp assemblies can be a
> little fraught and best not done with young children or parrots around.

I changed the rear fog light bulb in my wife's 147. Spent ages with the
tailgate up removing the rear light cluster from the body after being
unsuccessful getting the bulbs out from inside. Then I found no fog
lamp. Dropped the tailgate and seriously swore

I continue to amuse the family with my amateur mechanics...
Old February 23rd 06, 09:17 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:06:23 GMT, Tony Rickard
>, wrote:

>I changed the rear fog light bulb in my wife's 147. Spent ages with the
>tailgate up removing the rear light cluster from the body after being
>unsuccessful getting the bulbs out from inside. Then I found no fog
>lamp. Dropped the tailgate and seriously swore
>
>I continue to amuse the family with my amateur mechanics...

Maybe we could meet with a view to working up a routine for this
year's motor shows. Ford rally and Toyota F1 pit crews put on shows.
We could put on a double-act of Alfa maintenance. Fuse-changing, oil
top-ups and the like. We could practise by taking the one remaining
headlight protector of my 156. I broke one when trying to unclip it
to clean the headlight :-)

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old February 23rd 06, 10:07 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Pete wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:06:23 GMT, Tony Rickard
> >, wrote:
>

>>I changed the rear fog light bulb in my wife's 147. Spent ages with the
>>tailgate up removing the rear light cluster from the body after being
>>unsuccessful getting the bulbs out from inside. Then I found no fog
>>lamp. Dropped the tailgate and seriously swore
>>
>>I continue to amuse the family with my amateur mechanics...

> Maybe we could meet with a view to working up a routine for this
> year's motor shows. Ford rally and Toyota F1 pit crews put on shows.
> We could put on a double-act of Alfa maintenance. Fuse-changing, oil
> top-ups and the like. We could practise by taking the one remaining
> headlight protector of my 156. I broke one when trying to unclip it
> to clean the headlight :-)
>
> Pete

No thanks, I hate blood sports...

--
Halmyre
Old February 24th 06, 08:26 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"Pete" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 00:06:23 GMT, Tony Rickard
> >, wrote:
>

>>I changed the rear fog light bulb in my wife's 147. Spent ages with the
>>tailgate up removing the rear light cluster from the body after being
>>unsuccessful getting the bulbs out from inside. Then I found no fog
>>lamp. Dropped the tailgate and seriously swore
>>
>>I continue to amuse the family with my amateur mechanics...

> Maybe we could meet with a view to working up a routine for this
> year's motor shows. Ford rally and Toyota F1 pit crews put on shows.
> We could put on a double-act of Alfa maintenance. Fuse-changing, oil
> top-ups and the like. We could practise by taking the one remaining
> headlight protector of my 156. I broke one when trying to unclip it
> to clean the headlight :-)
>
> Pete

As far as I know, motor shows only have a duration of three or four days
(including press days).

The type of activities you describe usually entail :
- Initial investigation
- First attempt at changing bulb /fuse / whatever
- Consultation with Alfa users newsgroup
- Second attempt etc..
- Visit to pub to nurse hurt feelings (it's only a bulb !!!) / cut in finger
- Phone call to local independent ("I know you don't usually give advice for
nothing, but...")
- Third attempt etc...
- Humiliating call to nearest approved Alfa dealer
- Fourth (this time successful) attempt, resulting in parting with wads of
cash ("yes sir, the bulb is indeed only 89p, but labour is £110 an hour,
plus VAT)
- An evening spent composing entry on Ebay ("much-loved Alfa for sale etc...
etc...")

All this takes approximately two weeks to complete... draw your own
conclusions

Dave S.... 156 2.0 SP2 1998 :>))