Vapor Recovery Smog Test Details

Old November 13th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford
Ulysses

Default Vapor Recovery Smog Test Details

I have a '91 Explorer and it's due for a smog test. They now have included
a vapor recovery system test. Can anyone tell me what the test is comprised
of? Or how I can determine beforehand if it will probably pass? I heard
they pressurize the fuel system but I don't know at what pressure or how
long it needs to hold that pressure. It seems to me the possible places it
could leak would be the fill pipe, the vapor recovery line, and the fuel
pump. Anywhere else I should check?

Thanks.

Old November 13th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford
Jeff Strickland

They pressurize the the gas tank and gas cap and check it they hold
pressure.

My brother has a '94 Ranger, and his truck failed this test because the fuel
filler hose was severly cracked. You have to remove the bed to gain access
to this hose.

Old November 13th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> They pressurize the the gas tank and gas cap and check it they hold
> pressure.
>
> My brother has a '94 Ranger, and his truck failed this test because the
> fuel filler hose was severly cracked. You have to remove the bed to gain
> access to this hose.

It is actually very easy to lift the bed off. 6 bolts inside the bed, three
small screws in the fuel filler door, and the brake light connector in the
left corner near the bumper. Two guys can easily lift the bed and move it to
gain access to the tank.

I placed a few strips of masking tape on the bed and cab to serve as
alignment guides for the bed, but the screw holes are pretty
close-tolerance, and the bed can't move very far from where it is supposed
to be. Take strips of tape and draw a line down the middle, then place the
tap so that it is affixed to the bed and the cab, then use a razor knife to
slice the tape. The result will be a line on the cab and bed that you move
the bed around to align to later on.

Old November 13th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford
Arthur Dent

I had the same problem on my '92 Ranger at about 105,000 miles.

Glen

Old November 13th 08, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford
Bryan[_6_]

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> I placed a few strips of masking tape on the bed and cab to serve as
> alignment guides for the bed, but the screw holes are pretty
> close-tolerance, and the bed can't move very far from where it is
> supposed to be. Take strips of tape and draw a line down the middle,
> then place the tap so that it is affixed to the bed and the cab, then
> use a razor knife to slice the tape. The result will be a line on the
> cab and bed that you move the bed around to align to later on.

Great tip.
Old November 13th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford
Ulysses[_3_]

Jeff Strickland > wrote in message
> They pressurize the the gas tank and gas cap and check it they hold
> pressure.
>
> My brother has a '94 Ranger, and his truck failed this test because the

fuel
> filler hose was severly cracked. You have to remove the bed to gain access
> to this hose.

My Explorer *had* a couple of holes in the fill pipe that looked like they
were punched with a machine--nice, neat, round holes. I patched them in the
past because it leaked gasoline when filliing up or on a steep slope. I
managed to get the filler pipe and vapor hose to hold pressure but now it
seems to be losing pressure somewhere at the top of the gas tank, possibly
where the fuel pump is connected. I guess the only thing to do now is to
drop and tank and look.

I took apart an old gas cap (just remove the outer ring on the inside), put
it in, and pressurized the system to about 10-15 psi using a 9mm socket and
air blower and it didn't hold pressure for very long. The socket just
happens to be about the right size to fit into the recess around the purge
valve.

The guy at the auto parts store said people are making up their own fill
pipes using silicone-linied radiator hose and exhaust pipe fittings or ABS
pipe. Ford gets $380 for a new assembly for my year of Explorer!

Old November 14th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford
Ulysses[_3_]

Ulysses > wrote in message

> Jeff Strickland > wrote in message
> > They pressurize the the gas tank and gas cap and check it they hold
> > pressure.
> >
> > My brother has a '94 Ranger, and his truck failed this test because the

> fuel
> > filler hose was severly cracked. You have to remove the bed to gain

access
> > to this hose.

> My Explorer *had* a couple of holes in the fill pipe that looked like they
> were punched with a machine--nice, neat, round holes. I patched them in

the
> past because it leaked gasoline when filliing up or on a steep slope. I
> managed to get the filler pipe and vapor hose to hold pressure but now it
> seems to be losing pressure somewhere at the top of the gas tank, possibly
> where the fuel pump is connected. I guess the only thing to do now is to
> drop and tank and look.
>
> I took apart an old gas cap (just remove the outer ring on the inside),

put
> it in, and pressurized the system to about 10-15 psi using a 9mm socket

and
> air blower and it didn't hold pressure for very long. The socket just
> happens to be about the right size to fit into the recess around the purge
> valve.
>
> The guy at the auto parts store said people are making up their own fill
> pipes using silicone-linied radiator hose and exhaust pipe fittings or ABS
> pipe. Ford gets $380 for a new assembly for my year of Explorer!
> >

> > "Ulysses" > wrote in message
> > >I have a '91 Explorer and it's due for a smog test. They now have

> included
> > > a vapor recovery system test. Can anyone tell me what the test is
> > > comprised
> > > of? Or how I can determine beforehand if it will probably pass? I

> heard
> > > they pressurize the fuel system but I don't know at what pressure or

how
> > > long it needs to hold that pressure. It seems to me the possible

places
> > > it
> > > could leak would be the fill pipe, the vapor recovery line, and the

fuel
> > > pump. Anywhere else I should check?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

I kept calling smog test centers and finally got some info: they pressurize
the system using nitrogen at about 30 psi but I'm not sure for how long.
They apparently test all the way from the charcoal canister to the gas
cap!!! California is coming up with new ways to get old cars off the road.
I guess they need the money from the sales taxes and registrations so all
the fat-assed ruling class types can buy new cars and bigger houses.

Meanwhile, my '78 F350 passed the new test and the smog guy told me that was
it's last smog test. Well, they repealed the "30 year rollover" and now the
cutoff is at 1976. This state can't possibly survive.

Old November 16th 08, 09:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford
Jack[_20_]

Ulysses wrote:

> This state can't possibly survive.

Since the rest of the country is about to be fully Californicated
over the next 4 to 8 years, that should help for a while.

After that, we'll all go down together.

Jack
Old November 23rd 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford
Charles D. Mandus

It's like the old Tom Lehrer song, "We will all go together when we go."
B-P

1994 Explorer XLT here.