what to use to seal differential cover after changing the fluid?

Old October 5th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
sehaare

Default what to use to seal differential cover after changing the fluid?

I'm planning on changing out the fluid in both the front and rear
differentials. The manual doesn't show a drain plug so it looks like
I'm going to have to remove the cover to drain the old fluid. Manul
call for a silicone sealer on the cover prior to reassembling. What
product do you use? pematex formagasket, RTV or something else?

Thanks
Steve
Old October 10th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"sehaare" > wrote in message
> I'm planning on changing out the fluid in both the front and rear
> differentials. The manual doesn't show a drain plug so it looks like
> I'm going to have to remove the cover to drain the old fluid. Manul
> call for a silicone sealer on the cover prior to reassembling. What
> product do you use? pematex formagasket, RTV or something else?

Black High-Temperature gasket silicone.

Old October 15th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mikepier

What year Explorer? On my 99, there are drain plugs. Have you looked
to see if there are any?