1990 Corrado G60 Supercharger

Old October 9th 05, 05:31 PM
William J. Leary Jr.

Default 1990 Corrado G60 Supercharger

My son is buying a 1990 Corrado G60 which has had the supercharger removed.

We're looking to do any of the following.

1. Replace the supercharger. Suggestions on where to get one? He's found some
in the $5K range, which is steep for his budget, and it's not clear they're the
right part anyway.

2. Repair the supercharger. Again, locations? Prices? He thinks he's found
one for $500, but we'd like experienced opinions.

3. Retune the engine to run properly without it. According to the previous
current owner, it's running rich because the supercharger is missing.

- Bill

Old October 9th 05, 08:30 PM
Woodchuck

Sounds like you're buying an abortion! If the former owner removed the
charger versus fixing it one can only imagine what else is wrong. Sure hope
it's cheap.

Old October 9th 05, 09:35 PM
William J. Leary Jr.

"Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> Sounds like you're buying an abortion!

Not me. I'd be going for a V6 version, if I got one at all. My son's
interests run a bit differently than mine.

> If the former owner removed the charger versus fixing it one can
> only imagine what else is wrong.

We've looked it over pretty closely, and my son drove it. It's in pretty good
shape, but for a few cosmetic issues inside and the supercharger. I suppose we
may discover other issues once he starts driving it.

> Sure hope it's cheap.

Not cheap, not expensive.

The guy who owns it, it seems, ran into some financial problems. It seems to
run pretty well even without the supercharger, and it passed inspection
(including emissions) without it a few months ago, but the guy who did the
inspection said that it was running rich, but was within their limits.

- Bill

Old October 10th 05, 02:56 AM
Woodchuck

I do have an ECU here for it if you ever need one. Let me know if it an auto
or manual trans.

Old October 10th 05, 10:02 AM
William J. Leary Jr.

"Woodchuck" > wrote in message
.. .
> I do have an ECU here for it if you ever need one. Let me know if
> it an auto or manual trans.

This is an ECU adjusted to work without the supercharger?

How much would that cost?

And, it's a manual transmission.

- Bill

Old October 10th 05, 09:33 PM
N8N

William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
> My son is buying a 1990 Corrado G60 which has had the supercharger removed.
>
> We're looking to do any of the following.
>
> 1. Replace the supercharger. Suggestions on where to get one? He's found some
> in the $5K range, which is steep for his budget, and it's not clear they're the
> right part anyway.
>
> 2. Repair the supercharger. Again, locations? Prices? He thinks he's found
> one for $500, but we'd like experienced opinions.
>
> 3. Retune the engine to run properly without it. According to the previous
> current owner, it's running rich because the supercharger is missing.
>
> - Bill

Prices seem high. get a core from a junkyard for a couple hundred
bucks, and have one of the well known rebuilders go through it
(BahnBrenner, Kompressor Kanada)

good luck

nate

Old October 10th 05, 10:00 PM
William J. Leary Jr.

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
> > My son is buying a 1990 Corrado G60 which has had the supercharger removed.
> >
> > ((..omitted..))

> Prices seem high.

I kind of thought so, but this is my first experience with a VW supercharger.
My Scirocco's don't use them.

> get a core from a junkyard for a couple hundred
> bucks, and have one of the well known rebuilders go through it
> (BahnBrenner, Kompressor Kanada)

Thanks for the names. We'll look them up.

We've actually still got the supercharger. The current owner said it died, and
we didn't go into it with him. I'll have my son ask how it died when he goes
to get the car.

> good luck

Thanks.

- Bill

Old October 10th 05, 10:44 PM
Johann Koenig

On Monday October 10 at 05:00pm
"William J. Leary Jr." > wrote:

> "N8N" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
> > > My son is buying a 1990 Corrado G60 which has had the
> > > supercharger removed.
> > >
> > > ((..omitted..))

> > Prices seem high.

> I kind of thought so, but this is my first experience with a VW
> supercharger. My Scirocco's don't use them.

I recall the brand new ones costing about 1500-2500 and rebuilds
costing 500-1000 when I was interested in them. Got a diesel rabbit for
free instead
--
-Johann Koenig
Old October 11th 05, 02:32 AM
Nate Nagel

William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
> "N8N" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>William J. Leary Jr. wrote:
>>
>>>My son is buying a 1990 Corrado G60 which has had the supercharger removed.
>>>
>>>((..omitted..))

>>Prices seem high.

> I kind of thought so, but this is my first experience with a VW supercharger.
> My Scirocco's don't use them.
>

>>get a core from a junkyard for a couple hundred
>>bucks, and have one of the well known rebuilders go through it
>>(BahnBrenner, Kompressor Kanada)

> Thanks for the names. We'll look them up.
>
> We've actually still got the supercharger. The current owner said it died, and
> we didn't go into it with him. I'll have my son ask how it died when he goes
> to get the car.
>

>>good luck

> Thanks.
>
> - Bill

BTW Kompressor Kanada is listing rebuilds with no core required for
$1600 (US) on their web site.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old October 11th 05, 03:12 AM
William J. Leary Jr.

"Johann Koenig" > wrote in message
> On Monday October 10 at 05:00pm
> "William J. Leary Jr." > wrote:
> > "N8N" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

> > > Prices seem high.

> > I kind of thought so, but this is my first experience with a VW
> > supercharger. My Scirocco's don't use them.

> I recall the brand new ones costing about 1500-2500 and rebuilds
> costing 500-1000 when I was interested in them. Got a diesel rabbit for
> free instead

OK. So the prices my son found weren't unusual, just painful to our budget.

- Bill

1990 Saab 900 Brakes bruce Technology 2 August 9th 05 10:56 PM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM
Supercharger for new 2005 4.6 Mustang Ritz Ford Mustang 0 June 28th 05 12:47 AM
FS: 1990 "DYNOMAX HOT" Turbo System 'Funnycar' Promo Sheet J.R. Sinclair General 0 March 4th 04 06:34 AM
FS: 1990 Hardees 'Cole Trickle' "Days Of Thunder" NASCAR PROMO Glass J.R. Sinclair General 0 January 27th 04 06:43 AM