71 Auto Stick Igniation/Starter problems

Old November 12th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

Default 71 Auto Stick Igniation/Starter problems

Now my 71 Super Beetle Auto-stick will not start. I ahev diagnosed it
as a hard start problem. My mechanic wired a button for me to start
the car. Before it would start about half the time and now it will not
start. It tried a couple of times but I didn't apply enough gas to
keep it going.

I googled and found the solution to test the starter. I took a
screwdriver and the starter turned over. Is it suppost to start the
motor? All I could get it to do was turn the starter over. I've
orderd a Hard Start Relay from Mid -America Motor Sports. But how can
I start tyhe car now before it gets here?

Thanks for all the advise. I am slowly learning more and more.

Thanks Steven

Old November 12th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Noice87 wrote:
> Now my 71 Super Beetle Auto-stick will not start. I ahev diagnosed it
> as a hard start problem. My mechanic wired a button for me to start
> the car. Before it would start about half the time and now it will not
> start. It tried a couple of times but I didn't apply enough gas to
> keep it going.
>
> I googled and found the solution to test the starter. I took a
> screwdriver and the starter turned over. Is it suppost to start the
> motor? All I could get it to do was turn the starter over. I've
> orderd a Hard Start Relay from Mid -America Motor Sports. But how can
> I start tyhe car now before it gets here?
>
> Thanks for all the advise. I am slowly learning more and more.
>
> Thanks Steven

Yes, it will start the car....IF the Ignition is ON.
But if the Ignition switch is knackered, you may have to
jumper +12V to the Coil (+) terminal.

Try it with the key ON first.

Make SURE the shift is in NEUTRAL!

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old November 12th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Noice87" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> . I've
> orderd a Hard Start Relay from Mid -America Motor Sports.

might as well....most vw's are hacked all to **** by those that don't know
how to properly fix them....have at it...

Old November 12th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

Which is the positive? The wire going to the Ignnition Switch.

Thanks Steven

Old November 12th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Noice87 wrote:

> Which is the positive? The wire going to the Ignnition Switch.
>
> Thanks Steven

Your ignition switch wiring looks something like:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/ignition.gif

In the engine bay, looks like:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/coil.gif

Jim
Old November 12th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

So I take a long enough wire and wwire to the + on the coil that being
the wire that goes to the Igniation and then touch the other end of the
wire to the + on the battery?

Old November 12th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Noice87 wrote:

> So I take a long enough wire and wwire to the + on the coil that being
> the wire that goes to the Igniation and then touch the other end of the
> wire to the + on the battery?

yes
Old November 12th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

Treid the wire and nothing. So I tried the screwdriver again and on
the second time it fired right up. Drove it in the back yard once and
then under the carport so I can do some painting on it.

Soon I will take it back to my mechanic and have him re-do the
igniation so it works all the time.

Where is the best place to get a blank VW key? I need to make a second
copy of mine incase I loose the only one I have.

THanks for the Help.

Old November 12th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Noice87 wrote:

> Treid the wire and nothing. So I tried the screwdriver again and on
> the second time it fired right up. Drove it in the back yard once and
> then under the carport so I can do some painting on it.
>
> Soon I will take it back to my mechanic and have him re-do the
> igniation so it works all the time.
>
> Where is the best place to get a blank VW key? I need to make a second
> copy of mine incase I loose the only one I have.
>
> THanks for the Help.

Just bring the key to any hardware or lock place that cuts keys
and chances are they will have the correct blank.
Old November 12th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

I think the only place we have check is Wal-Mart and they didn't have
it.

Thanks Steventhe correct blank.

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
98 SL2 Auto Trans Shifting Problems jake292 Saturn 10 July 13th 05 06:16 PM
auto stick problems Calicars VW air cooled 3 May 4th 05 08:46 PM
auto stick tranny mount Kafertoys VW air cooled 3 January 5th 05 11:51 PM
Vauxhall Omega - Problems Auto Box Kevin General 0 June 13th 04 10:27 PM