Question -- rear suspension

Old June 7th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Question -- rear suspension

Been a while since I've even been around (too busy trying to graduate
from college but now I'm finally done WOO HOO!!!) I have a question
regarding the rear suspension on my car. My mustang has two small
dampners (one on each side) that look like small shock absorbers that
attach to the frame and then to the axle (I think... it's been a while
since I have crawled under the car). Iin the 260K some miles I have on
the car I have never changed these out (I've done the shocks and
struts but not the dampners).

1) what are these called
2) what do they do
3) where do I go to find replacements (if I need to replace them -- I
can't imagine not needing to replace them)

Thanks!
Old June 7th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

91RedGT <91RedGT AT escompsolutions dawt com> wrote:

> Been a while since I've even been around (too busy trying to graduate
> from college but now I'm finally done WOO HOO!!!) I have a question
> regarding the rear suspension on my car. My mustang has two small
> dampners (one on each side) that look like small shock absorbers that
> attach to the frame and then to the axle (I think... it's been a while
> since I have crawled under the car). Iin the 260K some miles I have on
> the car I have never changed these out (I've done the shocks and
> struts but not the dampners).
>
> 1) what are these called
> 2) what do they do
> 3) where do I go to find replacements (if I need to replace them -- I
> can't imagine not needing to replace them)

Limit wheel hop (axle twist)

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old June 8th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

91RedGT wrote:
> Been a while since I've even been around (too busy trying to graduate
> from college but now I'm finally done WOO HOO!!!) I have a question
> regarding the rear suspension on my car. My mustang has two small
> dampners (one on each side) that look like small shock absorbers that
> attach to the frame and then to the axle (I think... it's been a while
> since I have crawled under the car). Iin the 260K some miles I have on
> the car I have never changed these out (I've done the shocks and
> struts but not the dampners).
>
> 1) what are these called
> 2) what do they do
> 3) where do I go to find replacements (if I need to replace them -- I
> can't imagine not needing to replace them)
>
> Thanks!

Yeah what he said. Sorta stop axle twist like a traction bar.
Several companies make a replacement, Monroe and Bilstein come to mind.

--
You couldn't recognize a "fact" even
if it took a crap on your face. - Michael Johnson, PE

Old June 8th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

WindsorFox wrote:
> 91RedGT wrote:
>
>> Been a while since I've even been around (too busy trying to graduate
>> from college but now I'm finally done WOO HOO!!!) I have a question
>> regarding the rear suspension on my car. My mustang has two small
>> dampners (one on each side) that look like small shock absorbers that
>> attach to the frame and then to the axle (I think... it's been a while
>> since I have crawled under the car). Iin the 260K some miles I have on
>> the car I have never changed these out (I've done the shocks and
>> struts but not the dampners).
>>
>> 1) what are these called
>> 2) what do they do
>> 3) where do I go to find replacements (if I need to replace them -- I
>> can't imagine not needing to replace them)
>>
>> Thanks!

> Yeah what he said. Sorta stop axle twist like a traction bar. Several
> companies make a replacement, Monroe and Bilstein come to mind.

1) Called 'axle damper'.
2) What they said
3) Available everywhere they sell shocks. Just about all the shock
manufactures make them.

Rear tyre wear / alignment question (related to the 70mph humming?) Russ (www.e36coupe.com) BMW 7 March 1st 06 08:10 PM
Rear suspension problem Robin BMW 6 November 22nd 05 12:49 PM
leaf springs [email protected] Corvette 3 March 10th 05 10:42 PM
Manual rear air suspension Mark Carroll General 1 March 17th 04 03:14 PM