A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto newsgroups » Technology
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

Old July 1st 20, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

The purpose of my inquiry, after two months of experience with two digital tire gauges, is not to find
out which brands of gauge are better than others, but rather, to find out which type(dial face vs digital)
you feel:

1. Consistently gives the same result over and over again.
2. Has the best absolute accuracy(against a known reference gauge)

One of my two digital models, a DIYCO Pro, takes 3-5sec. to reach a reading. After dumping it(releasing
the air from it when it is removed from a tire), and valving that same tire again two or three more times,
I get different readings as much as 2psi apart. IE: first read: 33.5psi, second read, 32.9, third read, 33.2,
etc.

If I set all my car's tires to exactly 33.0psi, how do I know all four are really exactly 33.0psi(according to a
theoretical reference gauge)?

With dials, If I keep taking readings, the indicated pressure goes down just a hair with each successive
reading, but, I get a reading right away, and bleeding down is fast and no nonsense compared to the digitals,
which "slowly climb back"from a bleed: 32.8...32.9.........? .....33.0! Whew, finally!

Which do you prefer: Decimal precision of a digital tire gauge that you must wait a few seconds for, or, no-
nonsense, quick reading of an analog? And is either really any better?
Ads
Old July 1st 20, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]
external usenet poster

wrote:
> Tire Pressure Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital
>
> The purpose of my inquiry, after two months of experience with two digital tire gauges, is not to find
> out which brands of gauge are better than others, but rather, to find out which type(dial face vs digital)
> you feel:
>
> 1. Consistently gives the same result over and over again.
> 2. Has the best absolute accuracy(against a known reference gauge)
>
> One of my two digital models, a DIYCO Pro, takes 3-5sec. to reach a reading. After dumping it(releasing
> the air from it when it is removed from a tire), and valving that same tire again two or three more times,
> I get different readings as much as 2psi apart. IE: first read: 33.5psi, second read, 32.9, third read, 33.2,
> etc.
>
> If I set all my car's tires to exactly 33.0psi, how do I know all four are really exactly 33.0psi(according to a
> theoretical reference gauge)?
>
> With dials, If I keep taking readings, the indicated pressure goes down just a hair with each successive
> reading, but, I get a reading right away, and bleeding down is fast and no nonsense compared to the digitals,
> which "slowly climb back"from a bleed: 32.8...32.9.........? .....33.0! Whew, finally!
>
> Which do you prefer: Decimal precision of a digital tire gauge that you must wait a few seconds for, or, no-
> nonsense, quick reading of an analog? And is either really any better?

I have about 20 different tire gauges, probably 3 of those will read
matching pressures, most are within 1-2 psi. I;m not real worried if the
tires are 33psi, or 35 psi, as long as they all read the same on the
same gauge. I love the Journey as it shows PSI on the TPMS display.
With the car setting in the shop and cold tires, I can check them and
find each one is at 36 psi. Then look at the display and see it showing
every tire at a different pressure, both higher and lower but usually
within 2 psi of the gauge.

As for which is better, it's a crap shoot unless you have it tested and
calibrated regularly.

--
Steve W.
Old July 1st 20, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Steve W.

I guess more broadly: mechanical/analog gauges more directly measure the tire pressure, vs
digital models, which probably use some algorithm to determine the pressure?

Again, I've spent two months with more than one digital tire gauge, and after experiencing
both their good and bad sides, I'm actually longing for the simplicity of an analog gauge again.
I'm hoping the $40-something I'm paying for my yet-to-arrive Longacre Analog 'Deluxe' will
show improvements in quality and particularly consistency of reading, compared to the $10 or
so I paid, 5 and 10 years ago, for Accu Gage's S60X dial-face model that was my go-to for
ten years until recently.
Old July 1st 20, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Steve W. wrote:
- show quoted text -
> I;m not real worried if the
>tires are 33psi, or 35 psi, as long as they all read the same on the
>same gauge.

>--
>Steve W.

Consistent, repeatable readings.
Old July 2nd 20, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Xeno wrote:

>No algorithm needed. They just translate a voltage signal
>from the pressure transducer into a digital value. Or they
>could use a variance from a reference voltage. Either way,
>there is no algorithm, just a translation from one type of
>signal to another.

Makes sense, and an interesting point: Both my Longacre and DIYCO digital gauges read
HIGH(about 1psi) compared to my Accu Gage S60x dial, and two garages I brought them
to for reference. We'll see how my Longacre dial gauge compares to the rest of this fleet,
and the garage.
Old July 2nd 20, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]
external usenet poster

wrote:
> Steve W.
>
> I guess more broadly: mechanical/analog gauges more directly measure the tire pressure, vs
> digital models, which probably use some algorithm to determine the pressure?
>
> Again, I've spent two months with more than one digital tire gauge, and after experiencing
> both their good and bad sides, I'm actually longing for the simplicity of an analog gauge again.
> I'm hoping the $40-something I'm paying for my yet-to-arrive Longacre Analog 'Deluxe' will
> show improvements in quality and particularly consistency of reading, compared to the $10 or
> so I paid, 5 and 10 years ago, for Accu Gage's S60X dial-face model that was my go-to for
> ten years until recently.

Most of the digital gauges use a version of a resistance pressure
transducer, like an oil pressure gauge sender. As the pressure changes
the resistance changes and gives you a reading.

The catch with an analog gauge is the tube flexes every time you use it
and over time it can weaken.

If they show a spec for the ASME B40.1 or ASME B40.7 standards it can
give you a better comparison. Most of the better gauges out there run
in the B area, IE 2-3% error across the scale with the best readings in
the middle of the dial. You can get hyper accurate lab grade gauges, but
they are $$$$.

--
Steve W.
Old July 2nd 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Amuzi:

This http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...”-Tire-Gauge

just arrived in the mail today, and I am most impressed by its heft and construction quality! Compared to my Accu
Gage and my digital Longacre, the head unit itself is HUGE - and this is just the deluxe, not the pro version! I
would say slightly smaller than a standard tennis ball. Thick red hose, 17" long, solid chuck, this gauge seems
almost overbuilt for its purpose in life: Accurately dialing in cold tire pressure on all four tires of a motor vehicle.

I went out and checked the pressure of one of my tires with it, and it seems to go effortlessly about returning a
reading. And yes, it holds the reading solidly, until I dump it via the bleed valve - which takes about 2-3seconds
of holding in the bleeder button. Plus, it glows in the dark for those who need to check a tire out on the road after
dark.

I called Longacre Racing to find out what kind of design it is(Bourdon vs spring) and the gentleman who answered
the phone(right away, no menus "please press 1" crap by the way)confirmed it is Bourdon, as all their analog gauges
have been for over ten years. What he was unable to confirm with me was the ANSI(American National Standards)
grade this gauge would fall under - AA <0.5%, A <1.0%, B <2%, etc. Never even heard of the department.

He did say that the Deluxe is a "3-2-3%" gauge as far as accuracy is concerned: 3% accuracy below 20psi and
above 40psi, and 2% from 20-40psi. So for a required reading of IE: 35psi exactly, that's plus/minus 0.7psi. For a
reading of 50psi, that's an error of 1.5psi.

Supposedly their basic digital gauge is 0.8% accurate, or plus/minus 0.28psi at our example, 35psi, with resolution
down to 0.2(one fifth) of 1psi. I just don't like waiting 2-3 sec. for an exact reading!

So I'll see how my new Longacre deluxe analog hold up with regards to repeatability.
Old July 2nd 20, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hank Rogers[_4_]
external usenet poster

wrote:
> Amuzi:
>
> This
http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...-Tire-Gauge
>
> just arrived in the mail today, and I am most impressed by its heft and construction quality! Compared to my Accu
> Gage and my digital Longacre, the head unit itself is HUGE - and this is just the deluxe, not the pro version! I
> would say slightly smaller than a standard tennis ball. Thick red hose, 17" long, solid chuck, this gauge seems
> almost overbuilt for its purpose in life: Accurately dialing in cold tire pressure on all four tires of a motor vehicle.
>
> I went out and checked the pressure of one of my tires with it, and it seems to go effortlessly about returning a
> reading. And yes, it holds the reading solidly, until I dump it via the bleed valve - which takes about 2-3seconds
> of holding in the bleeder button. Plus, it glows in the dark for those who need to check a tire out on the road after
> dark.
>
> I called Longacre Racing to find out what kind of design it is(Bourdon vs spring) and the gentleman who answered
> the phone(right away, no menus "please press 1" crap by the way)confirmed it is Bourdon, as all their analog gauges
> have been for over ten years. What he was unable to confirm with me was the ANSI(American National Standards)
> grade this gauge would fall under - AA <0.5%, A <1.0%, B <2%, etc. Never even heard of the department.
>
> He did say that the Deluxe is a "3-2-3%" gauge as far as accuracy is concerned: 3% accuracy below 20psi and
> above 40psi, and 2% from 20-40psi. So for a required reading of IE: 35psi exactly, that's plus/minus 0.7psi. For a
> reading of 50psi, that's an error of 1.5psi.
>
> Supposedly their basic digital gauge is 0.8% accurate, or plus/minus 0.28psi at our example, 35psi, with resolution
> down to 0.2(one fifth) of 1psi. I just don't like waiting 2-3 sec. for an exact reading!
>
> So I'll see how my new Longacre deluxe analog hold up with regards to repeatability.
>

If you are looking for high accuracy, don't you need to have
periodic calibrations against a traceable NBS standard, to ensure
it hasn't drifted?

Some lab equipment has stickers to show it is up to date.