question: timing belts adjustment

Old August 31st 05, 04:00 PM
Nemo

Default question: timing belts adjustment

Hey fellas,
According to dealer schedule I have to do maintenance type D on my Civic
2001 at 40000 Km. That includes some abnormal prices such as $60 (canadian)
for air filter that you can buy it (Honeywell brand not a chinese brand) at
a retailer for $17. Just an example to show you that they are ripping off.
But the maintenance schedule includes also timing belts adjustment that I am
not sure about it. My question is that what happens if I do not do that.
Does the engine really need that at this milage. Thanks guyes for advice.
Regards

Old August 31st 05, 04:24 PM
High Tech Misfit

Nemo wrote:

> Hey fellas,
> According to dealer schedule I have to do maintenance type D on my Civic
> 2001 at 40000 Km. That includes some abnormal prices such as $60 (canadian)
> for air filter that you can buy it (Honeywell brand not a chinese brand) at
> a retailer for $17. Just an example to show you that they are ripping off.
> But the maintenance schedule includes also timing belts adjustment that I am
> not sure about it. My question is that what happens if I do not do that.
> Does the engine really need that at this milage. Thanks guyes for advice.
> Regards

If you really do mean 40,000km as opposed to 140,000km, you do not need a
timing belt replacement at this time. However, if your car also has a
time-based interval for the belt, then you should replace it when that time
comes. Assuming the interval is 6 years, since your car is almost 5 years
old, the belt would be due for replacement in late 2006 or early 2007
(assuming of course you don't reach the distance-based interval beforehand).
Check the maintenance schedule in your manual.

And $60 for air filter is a huge rip-off. Have you tried other dealers? I
bought an air filter for my '93 Accord at a Honda dealer last year for $20
(I did the labour myself, but that takes only a few minutes anyway). As far
as I know, it should cost about the same for your Civic.
Old August 31st 05, 04:54 PM
T L via CarKB.com

Generally the dealer 'checkups' are a rip off, however if its a good dealer,
I don't think its a bad idea to pay for them to look it over, as long as its
not too exhorbitant.

The timing belt could be inspected for tension at this mileage. Belts
stretch over time, and the tensioner could need adjusting. The process on my
civic is something like 1. Loosen Tensioner, 2. Turn crank pulley clockwise 1
turn, 3. tighten tensioner.

That just takes the slack out of the belt. Maybe thats what they were
planning to do?

Old August 31st 05, 08:34 PM
butch burton

Find an independent who works on Honda - honda dealer wanted 650 to
replace a radiator - local guy did it for 350. 4K for tranny overhaul
- local guy wanted 1.6K to include all new soft parts.

Whenever I walk through a dealership - I hold on to my wallet - very
good place to get rolled.

Old September 1st 05, 03:49 PM
Nemo

The manual talks about adjusting alternator belt and power steering belt and
it also talks about changing timing belt, but it doesn't give a figure for
timing belt, so it is not really clear to me what it is. Is it same as one
of two other belts or its something else. I want to see if I can do it
myself. And the car is just 40000 KM. Then it does not need a belt change
just adjustment.
Thanks

Old September 2nd 05, 12:47 PM
TeGGeR®

"Nemo" > wrote in :

> The manual talks about adjusting alternator belt and power steering
> belt and it also talks about changing timing belt, but it doesn't give
> a figure for timing belt, so it is not really clear to me what it is.
> Is it same as one of two other belts or its something else. I want to
> see if I can do it myself. And the car is just 40000 KM. Then it does
> not need a belt change just adjustment.

You should not ever need a timing belt readjustment if it was installed
correctly to begin with.

You only really need to adjust the accessory drive belts if you're
experiencing squealing or a no-charge situation. Too loose is better than
too tight.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 2nd 05, 03:02 PM
jim beam

Nemo wrote:
> The manual talks about adjusting alternator belt and power steering belt and
> it also talks about changing timing belt, but it doesn't give a figure for
> timing belt, so it is not really clear to me what it is. Is it same as one
> of two other belts or its something else. I want to see if I can do it
> myself. And the car is just 40000 KM. Then it does not need a belt change
> just adjustment.
> Thanks

p/s & alt belts are not toothed. this is because they sometimes need to
slip slightly at large load transients. slippage means wear, and wear
means adustment. the toothed timing belt otoh does not slip and wear is
negligable. it therefore does not need to be adjusted - provided it was
fitted correctly of course.

Old September 2nd 05, 06:19 PM
Nemo

Greate info guys, Thanks to everybody, Now I know what to do.