This is why I find it hard to stay away from iRacing...

Old October 24th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin[_2_]

Default This is why I find it hard to stay away from iRacing...

"Dirt" > wrote in message
On Oct 24, 7:59 am, (Andrew MacPherson)
wrote:

> Believe me, the Skip Barber is far, *far* more satisfying to drive than
> any rFactor
> mod I've ever tried.

I drove the Formula Mazda last night. How does it compare to the Skip
Barber?

It has more overall grip and power.

Ed

Old October 24th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

The probem has something to do with the UAC but I can't pinpoint
exactly what. When the iRacing webpage tries to run any of the exe's
(in the iRacing folder) i.e chat, update, etc. nothing happens. All
exe's are set to run as Admin, all are set to pass through the
Firewall, and AVG AV isn't a problem. A while back, during the Vista
beta days, I remembered someone having a similar problem and a
workaround was to install that program directly under the root
directory and no in "Program Files (x86)". Last night I uninstalled
it, deleted all content and reinstalled in C:\iRacing. I then
overwrote the install with my fully updated iRacing folder (that I
saved to save me two hous of downloading) and tried it. Works
perfectly, no issues at all...

Looking forward to diving in soon!
Gary

>On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:46:08 -0400, "Larry" > wrote:
>I KNOW there are people running it under Vista64. Make sure you contact
>support. They are very quick to respond.
>
>Sometimes it's not the OS or the SIM that's the issue. NOD32 has a few
>known problems for example.
>
>-Larry

.. .

Old October 24th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On Oct 24, 3:49*am, Dirt > wrote:

> I drove the Formula Mazda last night. *How does it compare to the Skip
> Barber?

While driving under the limit, the Mazda feels dead in comparison to
the Barber. With the aero downforce and grippier tires it doesn't
slide around. When you do get the car on the limit it is very alive.

I've almost completely stopped driving everything else at this point
other than the Mazda. Despite its compromised aero model I really
enjoy the car. I'm hoping for an update to it next week that will
make it even better.

--
Pat Dotson
Old October 25th 08, 06:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rotten Ronny

"GaryR" > wrote in message

> The probem has something to do with the UAC but I can't pinpoint
> exactly what. When the iRacing webpage tries to run any of the exe's
> (in the iRacing folder) i.e chat, update, etc. nothing happens. All
> exe's are set to run as Admin, all are set to pass through the
> Firewall, and AVG AV isn't a problem. A while back, during the Vista
> beta days, I remembered someone having a similar problem and a
> workaround was to install that program directly under the root
> directory and no in "Program Files (x86)". Last night I uninstalled
> it, deleted all content and reinstalled in C:\iRacing. I then
> overwrote the install with my fully updated iRacing folder (that I
> saved to save me two hous of downloading) and tried it. Works
> perfectly, no issues at all...
>
> Looking forward to diving in soon!
> Gary

Ah, yes, that folder is a protected folder so is no good for any games that
need admin access. I don't install any games to that folder ever.

Old October 25th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rotten Ronny

"Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> Believe me, the Skip Barber is far, *far* more satisfying to drive than
> any rFactor
> mod I've ever tried.

Well, as they say, "ignorance is bliss" and my wallet thanks me for it too.

Old October 25th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

>On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 05:37:22 GMT, "Rotten Ronny" > wrote:
>Ah, yes, that folder is a protected folder so is no good for any games that
>need admin access. I don't install any games to that folder ever.

Can anyone point me to a white paper (or anything clearly written)
that states this? I've Googled it and can come up with nothing, and it
seems some people have no problem running it out of the default (x86)
folder. iRacing Support was no help (though they offered to try!) and
I came up with the solution because I remembered it from "somewhere".
Sure would like to know where.

I have BF2142, BF2, Falcon 4 AF, rFactor, and Lock On Flaming Cliffs
1.12 all installed in "Program Files (x86) and they work perfectly.
This is the only problem child so far. I know the browser needs to
start up .exe's and assume thatis the issue but no browser security
changes helped. All exe's had Admin start priviledges also..

Be good to know the actual "why" to this for future reference.

Thanks
GP

Old October 25th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rotten Ronny

"GaryR" > wrote in message
> >On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 05:37:22 GMT, "Rotten Ronny" >
> >wrote:
>>Ah, yes, that folder is a protected folder so is no good for any games
>>that
>>need admin access. I don't install any games to that folder ever.

> Can anyone point me to a white paper (or anything clearly written)
> that states this? I've Googled it and can come up with nothing, and it
> seems some people have no problem running it out of the default (x86)
> folder. iRacing Support was no help (though they offered to try!) and
> I came up with the solution because I remembered it from "somewhere".
> Sure would like to know where.
>
> I have BF2142, BF2, Falcon 4 AF, rFactor, and Lock On Flaming Cliffs
> 1.12 all installed in "Program Files (x86) and they work perfectly.
> This is the only problem child so far. I know the browser needs to
> start up .exe's and assume thatis the issue but no browser security
> changes helped. All exe's had Admin start priviledges also..
>
> Be good to know the actual "why" to this for future reference.
>
> Thanks
> GP

Ok, here's another solution for you. Give the iRacing folder write
permissions.

Read this.

Old October 29th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy[_2_]

did you get this figured out?

wonder if you have suppressed the "allow <something to happen>...." window
somehow, I would start with disabling windows (or other) firewall, adding
iRacing to trusted sites maybe, what other security apps you got? I know my
McAffee and later ATT&Yahhoo's older security protection software gave me
fits with rFactor, but not with iRacing...

I'm running vista as full admin account though, are you? if not you might
have to do more? UAC just asks (in a nutshell) that something is trying to
open/close an EXE <pif etc file> and is it OK? I use Tweak UAC to silence
the questions about if I really wanted to open a program/open control
panel/yadda yadda...
read more and make you own choice, here... http://www.tweak-uac.com/home/

Old October 29th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

It works fine once installed outside of the (x86) folder. I only have
one acct, it's Admin, and I even set all exe's to run as Admin. It has
to do with how the program is written and the UAC I believe. No
definitive answers yet.