C4 Battery

Old May 21st 07, 11:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default C4 Battery

"'Key" > wrote in message
. ..
> "CardsFan" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Pizza Bob" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Battery in my 1990 Z-51 died. My fault - I'm sure I let it
>>> sulfate - disconnected the float charger and forgot about it. Took
>>> a charge, lasted one day. Thought I'd explore an Optima, but found
>>> they don't make an application for the C4. Closest is their 75/25
>>> but seems a smidgen to long and height may be a problem dependent
>>> on where the posts are (it has posts and side mounts) relative to
>>> the cruise transducer. Mid-America used to push Optima's for
>>> Vettes, but they don't anymore (why?). Anybody using one in a C4 -
>>> if so how? And, any "standard" high-end battery recommendations?
>>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>>
>>> Adios,
>>>
>>> Pizza Bob

>> Sorry about the previous non-post. I replaced the Delco with an
>> Interstate battery and it has caused no issues, and at times over
>> the winter it sat several weeks without a startup.
>>
>> AJM
>> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

> note;
> the use of a battery tender will help any battery last about 4 times
> longer.
> http://tinyurl.com/2pdnq9
>
> g'day
> --
> "Key"
> =====

We had an old fart in town (what am I saying), that used to take a
dead battery and trickle charge it all night and then dead short the
terminals with a bar of steel until it was red hot. Then he would hit
it with a high amperage charger until it held 13+ volts and re-sell
it. Most would work as long as some new ones. The way his place was
eat up with acid my guess is some of them exploded and maybe he put a
fresh batch in some of them to get them to work.

Just down the street was another old fart doing rebuilds on generators
and alternators. Both were much needed back the 50s and 60s as it
seemed like I was always fixing some body's car that need one or the
other.

Sadly I don't do much of that kind of fixing anymore as most of those
folks are gone. Talk about old farts....

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old May 22nd 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ[_4_]

Dad wrote:

> "'Key" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "CardsFan" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Pizza Bob" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Sorry about the previous non-post. I replaced the Delco with an
>>> Interstate battery and it has caused no issues, and at times over the
>>> winter it sat several weeks without a startup.
>>>
>>> AJM
>>> '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

>> note;
>> the use of a battery tender will help any battery last about 4 times
>> longer.
>> http://tinyurl.com/2pdnq9
>>
>> g'day
>> --
>> "Key"
>> =====
>>

> We had an old fart in town (what am I saying), that used to take a dead
> battery and trickle charge it all night and then dead short the
> terminals with a bar of steel until it was red hot. Then he would hit it
> with a high amperage charger until it held 13+ volts and re-sell it.
> Most would work as long as some new ones. The way his place was eat up
> with acid my guess is some of them exploded and maybe he put a fresh
> batch in some of them to get them to work.
>
> Just down the street was another old fart doing rebuilds on generators
> and alternators. Both were much needed back the 50s and 60s as it seemed
> like I was always fixing some body's car that need one or the other.
>
> Sadly I don't do much of that kind of fixing anymore as most of those
> folks are gone. Talk about old farts....

South of the Border, down Mexico way, they've got it down to a science:

Dump the old acid into a crock and let it settle. Run two or three
rinses of water through the battery and clean the outside. Pour the
acid back in and throw a charge on it. Plenty of these for 10 bucks...5
bucks if you bargain.

Oh yeah, the rinse water flows down the gutter, into the TJ river,
across the border and your tax dollars work to clean up the mess.

--
PJ
Old May 22nd 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

ROFL. Basically, it works. What screws up a battery are the deposits on the
plates. Heating the plates to flake it off or the bouncing it around and
flushing it out will put new life in them by having clean plates again. One
of the other things that kill a battery is junk in the bottom shorting the
plates together. Dump that out and you get more life.

Old May 31st 07, 03:46 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Chuck Tribolet

The DieHard in my '87 was installed in about '92 and got replaced a couple
of years ago. This is a VERY occasionally driven car (29K miles now,
21K in '95). It lives on a Schumacher smart charger when it's in the
garage. Keep it on a good smart charger, use a good battery, and
don't worry about it.