63 brake fluid question

Old May 17th 07, 02:31 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
lib

Default 63 brake fluid question

I have replaced or rebuilt the entire brake system (all shoes- no discs or
power)on my 1963 SB. I am going to run a silicone fluid in the system when I
charge it up. Any recommendations on brands of fluid to use or stay away
from? Thanx- lib

Old May 17th 07, 05:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Joe M

>I have replaced or rebuilt the entire brake system (all shoes- no discs or
> power)on my 1963 SB. I am going to run a silicone fluid in the system when
> I charge it up. Any recommendations on brands of fluid to use or stay away
> from? Thanx- lib

I've never heard pros or cons about any brand of silicone brake fluid.
I have used government surplus silicone brake fluid in two cars for years
with no problems.
Both had the systems totally cleaned of gycol fluid.
You must clean everything with denatured alcohol.
This means disassembling the master cylinder and wheel cylinders, new or
rebuilt, removing all glycol or assy grease, and reassembling with silicone
brake fluid.

Good luck,
Joe '72 coupe

Old May 18th 07, 12:51 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

Joe M wrote:
>> I have replaced or rebuilt the entire brake system (all shoes- no discs or
>> power)on my 1963 SB. I am going to run a silicone fluid in the system when
>> I charge it up. Any recommendations on brands of fluid to use or stay away
>> from? Thanx- lib

> I've never heard pros or cons about any brand of silicone brake fluid.
> I have used government surplus silicone brake fluid in two cars for years
> with no problems.
> Both had the systems totally cleaned of gycol fluid.
> You must clean everything with denatured alcohol.
> This means disassembling the master cylinder and wheel cylinders, new or
> rebuilt, removing all glycol or assy grease, and reassembling with silicone
> brake fluid.
>
> Good luck,
> Joe '72 coupe

I've heard that denatured alcohol can be hard on seals.
Not sure I recommend it, but I've changed to silicone after just
draining the old fluid, installing new/rebuilt master & wheel cylinders,
and
"flushing" while bleeding the brakes until I see air-free purple fluid
coming
out. Your method is probably better, but I've had no ill effects
that I am aware of.