vw engine air compressor

Old December 28th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tricky

Default vw engine air compressor

I had a link for this years ago, but cant find it. Anyone got it handy ?

it was a bug engine that ran on 2 barrels one side, and the other side
was used as a high output air compressor.

TIA

Rich
Old December 28th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

Tricky wrote:
> I had a link for this years ago, but cant find it. Anyone got it handy ?
>
> it was a bug engine that ran on 2 barrels one side, and the other side
> was used as a high output air compressor.
>
> TIA
>
> Rich

Used to be called "Volks-Air".
Now "Dunn Right"

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/air-...e-55158-4.html

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/dunnright/index.html

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old December 29th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Veeduber

> it was a bug engine that ran on 2 barrels one side, and the other side
> was used as a high output air compressor.

Actually, it was probably configured with two OPPOSED cylinders to
provide power, the other pair to act as the air pump.

As a point of interest, people have been doing his type of conversion
since before the First World War. In 2000 I posted a message to this
Newsgroup explaining how to convert a running VW engine into a two-
cylinder air compressor without having to dismantle the engine.
(Search this Newsgroup using 'veeduber air-compressor' as your seed.)
But it assumes you already know the basics of air compressors. What
Dunn-Right offers is a complete kit of all the bits & pieces.

-Bob Hoover
Old December 29th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson

Veeduber wrote:
>> it was a bug engine that ran on 2 barrels one side, and the other side
>> was used as a high output air compressor.
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Actually, it was probably configured with two OPPOSED cylinders to
> provide power, the other pair to act as the air pump.
>
> As a point of interest, people have been doing his type of conversion
> since before the First World War. In 2000 I posted a message to this
> Newsgroup explaining how to convert a running VW engine into a two-
> cylinder air compressor without having to dismantle the engine.
> (Search this Newsgroup using 'veeduber air-compressor' as your seed.)
> But it assumes you already know the basics of air compressors. What
> Dunn-Right offers is a complete kit of all the bits & pieces.
>
> -Bob Hoover

Plus, as I understand it, a special cam that makes it work more
efficiently.

Jan
Old December 29th 07, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Veeduber

> Plus, as I understand it, a special cam that makes it work more
> efficiently.

The method I described disables the valves for the cylinders that are
used to pump air, allowing them to pump on each stroke.

Convincing a couple of jugs of any OHV engine to pump air is a fairly
trivial chore for those who know their onions. For everyone else, the
Dunn-Right kit is a very practical option.

-R.S.Hoover

Old December 31st 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
NotMe

"Veeduber" > wrote in message

| > it was a bug engine that ran on 2 barrels one side, and the other side
| > was used as a high output air compressor.

| Actually, it was probably configured with two OPPOSED cylinders to
| provide power, the other pair to act as the air pump.
|
| As a point of interest, people have been doing his type of conversion
| since before the First World War. In 2000 I posted a message to this
| Newsgroup explaining how to convert a running VW engine into a two-
| cylinder air compressor without having to dismantle the engine.
| (Search this Newsgroup using 'veeduber air-compressor' as your seed.)
| But it assumes you already know the basics of air compressors. What
| Dunn-Right offers is a complete kit of all the bits & pieces.
|
| -Bob Hoover

My grand father had an adaptor for the Model T that would provide compressed
air by removing one of the spark plugs. Only draw back the air had a lot of
gas fumes.

Old December 31st 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

I still have that tool sold by JCWhitney that allowed you to do that.
Gee now I do feel old! lol

Now you scare me if I ever use that air to pump up a tire! 8^o
I think it was redesigned and the compression from the engine allowed this
pump to draw fresh air and then pressurize it.
At least that is what I believe! <g>
--
later,
dave

"NotMe" > wrote

Old January 1st 08, 10:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Veeduber

On Dec 30 2007, 7:15 pm, "NotMe" > wrote:
> "Veeduber" > wrote in message

> My grand father had an adaptor for the Model T that would provide compressed
> air by removing one of the spark plugs. Only draw back the air had a lot of
> gas fumes.

The typical 'spark plug' compressor was a captive, spring-loaded
piston in a brass cylinder that screwed in to the spark plug hole. The
engine's compression stroke powered the device to pump ambient air,
not the charge from the cylinder. The instructions said to give it a
drop of oil before screwing it into place but little if any of that
oil found its way into the output.

I've heard several people say the things used air from the engine so
there may have been some that simply diverted the fuel/air charge into
a tire, but none of the ones I've ever seen or used worked like that.
And they DO work rather well. Displacement was typically one cubic
inch so the output was about .25cfm at an idle (ie, about 400 strokes
per minute). Pressure depended on the compression ratio & condition
of the engine -- you wouldn't get much from a Model T but then its
tires didn't need very much. On a 1953 Mercury flat-head V8 you'd see
better than 120psi and most VW's could do 75 to 90 psi.

-Bob Hoover

Old January 2nd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Manfred Braun

Tricky schrieb:
> I had a link for this years ago, but cant find it. Anyone got it handy ?
>
> it was a bug engine that ran on 2 barrels one side, and the other side
> was used as a high output air compressor.
>
> TIA
>
> Rich

some images:

http://superbeetle.de/bilder/index.p...reffen/&page=5

Old July 22nd 20, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

1967 VW Air Compressor Conversion ... 'Lucky Lime' ... Dunn Right Inc. ... Cleaning Pool Tile, in Tucson, Arizona

https://youtu.be/ytiAQqEzgCQ[/url]

Cleaning pool tile, in Tucson, Arizona, since 2014. Compressor makes 56 cfm @ 100 psi. 'Volks-Aire' conversion kit from Dunn-Right Inc. The magic is in the cam shaft: 4 cycle, in the front, two cycle, in the back.

air compressor nc Honda 3 November 28th 07 12:25 AM
82 AC Compressor Me[_5_] Corvette 0 March 22nd 07 12:27 AM
Engine stalls with air compressor on Gordon Chrysler 3 January 8th 06 03:55 PM
Engine stalls with air compressor on Gordon Dodge 3 January 4th 06 03:24 AM
AC Compressor Gone? hokie BMW 3 September 4th 05 04:01 PM