crankshaft position sensor error?

Old November 3rd 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Hackamore

Default crankshaft position sensor error?

Hi,

having some hard starting and it finally popped up a code.

"crankshaft position sensor error"...

what are the likely fixes?

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Old November 6th 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_9_]

I had an intermittent crank angle sensor on my LW300 that was making me
crazy. It didn't throw a code but caused a few backfires that killed two MAP
sensors. No codes were thrown except lean bank 1 and lean bank 2. Both were
a result of a damaged MAP. We finally figured out that when the engine died,
fuel pump wasn't running. Fuel pump is supposed to run for about two seconds
on key on and then continue while cranking while crank sensor pulses sensed.
In my case pump came on at key on but not during cranking. I finally told
Saturn to just change the sensor since they could not duplicate the
failures. I got stuck on the road twice. Cost about $200 and has not been a
problem in the last 2 years.

Crank sensor is a magnetic sensor that senses gear teeth on the crankshaft.
There are 36 equally spaced teeth with one tooth missing. The missing tooth
corresponds to top dead center which the computer detects and is used to set
all the engine timing. The crank sensor is the main timing element in the
engine management system and coordinates timing of fuel injection and spark.

In my case the coil was intermittently open. In other cases, gap between the
sensor or internal magnetic strength may be off. I don't recall that there
is any adjustment allowed, only replacement. Before you do replace the
sensor, check that the electrical circuit is intact. That is that the wiring
is not abraded or the connectors oxidized.

Oppie

Old November 11th 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Hackamore

Hi,

that would make sense... once I get it some gas it runs fine.

I'll check connections first... a free fix is always good.

but is it difficult to replace the crank sensor? if it's not sending the
signal to turn on the fuel pump it'll do exactly what mine's doing...
then when it finally flips on it runs fine.

the O2 sensor in front was a breeze.

ttyl

Old November 12th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_9_]

I don't recall that the crank angle sensor is too hard to replace. I
normally do these things myself but that week my son was getting married two
states away and after getting stuck on the side of the road twice, I wasn't
taking any chances on missing the nuptials. Left the car with Saturn to deal
with and got a rental. Sorted things out with Saturn the following week.

iirc the crank sensor is on the passenger side of the engine block near the
front and just above the oil pan.

Oppie
'01 lw300