Oval door locking problem

Old October 17th 04, 08:42 PM
ningi

Default Oval door locking problem

Matt Dainty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just become a proud owner of an early RHD '56 Oval, which runs and
> looks great, but has some small issues with the doors which I want to sort
> out.
>
> Basically, I can't seem to lock the passenger-side door, which doesn't
> have a key lock so I presume can only be locked by pushing the internal
> release handle forwards, but it just doesn't want to go in that direction.
>
> However, the driver-side door (with a key lock), *can* be locked by
> pushing the internal release handle forwards, such that I can end up
> locking myself out of the car if I leave the handle in the wrong position,
> the door key has no effect. (Only because of the lack of a locking
> passenger door can I get back into the car again, had me worried the first
> time it happened :-).
>
> I don't know what the correct behaviour is, but I'm guessing I should only
> be able to lock the driver-side door with a key, and only lock the
> passenger-side door using the internal release handle. Right?
>
> Before I try and remove the door panels and take a peek, how easy is this
> to fix? Is it just a case of swapping some bits over between the two
> doors, or do I need to get some specific left or right-hand parts first?
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Matt

Matt,

I think I might know what has happened.

I have a '54 RHD beetle. The lock is on the passengers side, not the
drivers side. It sounds as though somebody might have moved the locking
handle from one side to the other.

Normally you shut the drivers door, go round to the passengers side,
reach through and lock the drivers side door from the inside, then lock
the passengers side.

So, I'd recommend swapping the door handles round.

Pete

Old October 17th 04, 10:16 PM
Matt Dainty

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:42:55 +0000, ningi wrote:

> Matt Dainty wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just become a proud owner of an early RHD '56 Oval, which runs and
>> looks great, but has some small issues with the doors which I want to
>> sort out.
>>
>> Basically, I can't seem to lock the passenger-side door, which doesn't
>> have a key lock so I presume can only be locked by pushing the internal
>> release handle forwards, but it just doesn't want to go in that
>> direction.
>>
>> However, the driver-side door (with a key lock), *can* be locked by
>> pushing the internal release handle forwards, such that I can end up
>> locking myself out of the car if I leave the handle in the wrong
>> position, the door key has no effect. (Only because of the lack of a
>> locking passenger door can I get back into the car again, had me
>> worried the first time it happened :-).
>>
>> I don't know what the correct behaviour is, but I'm guessing I should
>> only be able to lock the driver-side door with a key, and only lock the
>> passenger-side door using the internal release handle. Right?
>>
>> Before I try and remove the door panels and take a peek, how easy is
>> this to fix? Is it just a case of swapping some bits over between the
>> two doors, or do I need to get some specific left or right-hand parts
>> first?
>>
>> Any suggestions gratefully received.
>>
>> Matt

> Matt,
>
> I think I might know what has happened.
>
> I have a '54 RHD beetle. The lock is on the passengers side, not the
> drivers side. It sounds as though somebody might have moved the locking
> handle from one side to the other.
>
> Normally you shut the drivers door, go round to the passengers side,
> reach through and lock the drivers side door from the inside, then lock
> the passengers side.
>
> So, I'd recommend swapping the door handles round.
>
> Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the tip, I guess swapping the external door handles over would
fix it, in that I end up with one lock on each door, but it sounds quite
complicated for everyday use, having to hop between both sides of the car
to lock/unlock one door! :-)

If your Oval was LHD originally, might that explain why the key lock is on
the passenger side if the doors were never converted as well? Or is this
an idiosyncrasy of all early RHD Beetles?

Thanks

Matt
Old October 18th 04, 12:50 AM
Howard Nelson

"Matt Dainty" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:42:55 +0000, ningi wrote:
>
> > Matt Dainty wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've just become a proud owner of an early RHD '56 Oval, which runs and
> >> looks great, but has some small issues with the doors which I want to
> >> sort out.
> >>
> >> Basically, I can't seem to lock the passenger-side door, which doesn't
> >> have a key lock so I presume can only be locked by pushing the internal
> >> release handle forwards, but it just doesn't want to go in that
> >> direction.
> >>
> >> However, the driver-side door (with a key lock), *can* be locked by
> >> pushing the internal release handle forwards, such that I can end up
> >> locking myself out of the car if I leave the handle in the wrong
> >> position, the door key has no effect. (Only because of the lack of a
> >> locking passenger door can I get back into the car again, had me
> >> worried the first time it happened :-).
> >>
> >> I don't know what the correct behaviour is, but I'm guessing I should
> >> only be able to lock the driver-side door with a key, and only lock the
> >> passenger-side door using the internal release handle. Right?
> >>
> >> Before I try and remove the door panels and take a peek, how easy is
> >> this to fix? Is it just a case of swapping some bits over between the
> >> two doors, or do I need to get some specific left or right-hand parts
> >> first?
> >>
> >> Any suggestions gratefully received.
> >>
> >> Matt

> > Matt,
> >
> > I think I might know what has happened.
> >
> > I have a '54 RHD beetle. The lock is on the passengers side, not the
> > drivers side. It sounds as though somebody might have moved the locking
> > handle from one side to the other.
> >
> > Normally you shut the drivers door, go round to the passengers side,
> > reach through and lock the drivers side door from the inside, then lock
> > the passengers side.
> >
> > So, I'd recommend swapping the door handles round.
> >
> > Pete

> Hi Pete,
>
> Thanks for the tip, I guess swapping the external door handles over would
> fix it, in that I end up with one lock on each door, but it sounds quite
> complicated for everyday use, having to hop between both sides of the car
> to lock/unlock one door! :-)
>
> If your Oval was LHD originally, might that explain why the key lock is on
> the passenger side if the doors were never converted as well? Or is this
> an idiosyncrasy of all early RHD Beetles?
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt

I have a 1955 Oval that I know is OEM LHD. The passenger door (right door)
locks by turning the inside lever CCW and the driver's door locks from the
outside with a key which stops the outside opening handle from engaging.

Howard

---

Old October 18th 04, 07:16 PM
Ningi

Matt Dainty wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:42:55 +0000, ningi wrote:
>

>>Matt Dainty wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've just become a proud owner of an early RHD '56 Oval, which runs and
>>>looks great, but has some small issues with the doors which I want to
>>>sort out.
>>>
>>>Basically, I can't seem to lock the passenger-side door, which doesn't
>>>have a key lock so I presume can only be locked by pushing the internal
>>>release handle forwards, but it just doesn't want to go in that
>>>direction.
>>>
>>>However, the driver-side door (with a key lock), *can* be locked by
>>>pushing the internal release handle forwards, such that I can end up
>>>locking myself out of the car if I leave the handle in the wrong
>>>position, the door key has no effect. (Only because of the lack of a
>>>locking passenger door can I get back into the car again, had me
>>>worried the first time it happened :-).
>>>
>>>I don't know what the correct behaviour is, but I'm guessing I should
>>>only be able to lock the driver-side door with a key, and only lock the
>>>passenger-side door using the internal release handle. Right?
>>>
>>>Before I try and remove the door panels and take a peek, how easy is
>>>this to fix? Is it just a case of swapping some bits over between the
>>>two doors, or do I need to get some specific left or right-hand parts
>>>first?
>>>
>>>Any suggestions gratefully received.
>>>
>>>Matt

>>Matt,
>>
>>I think I might know what has happened.
>>
>>I have a '54 RHD beetle. The lock is on the passengers side, not the
>>drivers side. It sounds as though somebody might have moved the locking
>>handle from one side to the other.
>>
>>Normally you shut the drivers door, go round to the passengers side,
>>reach through and lock the drivers side door from the inside, then lock
>>the passengers side.
>>
>>So, I'd recommend swapping the door handles round.
>>
>>Pete

> Hi Pete,
>
> Thanks for the tip, I guess swapping the external door handles over would
> fix it, in that I end up with one lock on each door, but it sounds quite
> complicated for everyday use, having to hop between both sides of the car
> to lock/unlock one door! :-)
>
> If your Oval was LHD originally, might that explain why the key lock is on
> the passenger side if the doors were never converted as well? Or is this
> an idiosyncrasy of all early RHD Beetles?

Matt,

My Oval is an original UK RHD. I think VW just took a while to convert
all the LHD specific parts to RHD. You just have to put it down to a
quirk of having an old car

Pete
Old October 18th 04, 11:07 PM
Matt Dainty

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:16:13 +0000, Ningi wrote:

> Matt Dainty wrote:

>>>Matt,
>>>
>>>I think I might know what has happened.
>>>
>>>I have a '54 RHD beetle. The lock is on the passengers side, not the
>>>drivers side. It sounds as though somebody might have moved the locking
>>>handle from one side to the other.
>>>
>>>Normally you shut the drivers door, go round to the passengers side,
>>>reach through and lock the drivers side door from the inside, then lock
>>>the passengers side.
>>>
>>>So, I'd recommend swapping the door handles round.
>>>
>>>Pete

>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> Thanks for the tip, I guess swapping the external door handles over would
>> fix it, in that I end up with one lock on each door, but it sounds quite
>> complicated for everyday use, having to hop between both sides of the car
>> to lock/unlock one door! :-)
>>
>> If your Oval was LHD originally, might that explain why the key lock is on
>> the passenger side if the doors were never converted as well? Or is this
>> an idiosyncrasy of all early RHD Beetles?
>>

> Matt,
>
> My Oval is an original UK RHD. I think VW just took a while to convert
> all the LHD specific parts to RHD. You just have to put it down to a
> quirk of having an old car
>
> Pete

I've just looked through some books documenting the year-by-year changes
and yes, I see your point now, I can *just* about make out on the
photos that there is a key-lock on the LHS on the RHD models including
some of the early big-window Beetles. Quite odd that the same books
don't seem to mention this quirk...

Oh well, one more VW factoid committed to memory, and some door handles to
swap.

Cheers

Matt