88 Accord Overheat

Old September 22nd 04, 04:42 AM
toohothonda

Default 88 Accord Overheat

I have an overheating problem with my '88 Accord. It has
193k miles on it.

On a hot day, when idling, the temperature gauge rises close to the 'H'
mark, and when I park the car and shut it off, I can hear it boiling over
under the hood. When idling, the A/C also isn't very cold. Whenever the
car is moving, the A/C runs fine, and the temperature gauge remains in the
middle.

When it boils over, and I check the fluid level in the radiator after it
has cooled, sometimes it's fine, and sometimes it's ~8 ounces low (which I
top off when I see that).

Sometimes it's so bad that, starting with a cold engine, with just 10-15
minutes of stop-and-go driving, it boils over when I park it.

Both fans run when the A/C is on. I've had the following replaced: the
fans, the radiator, radiator cap, thermostat, and water pump, but I still
have the overheating problem.

Is there something that could be causing excessive heat in the engine? Is
there anything else in the cooling system I should check?

Old September 22nd 04, 05:02 AM
jjjsan

Was the coolant changed out on a regular basis.
Are you using only water in radiator?
See any oil in radiator,
How is your oil condition, does it look milkey.
There maybe some blocked water passages in the engine.
So the coolant is circulating through the engine and cooling it
correctly.
Go to radiator shop have them flush out engine.

Old September 22nd 04, 01:02 PM
Jafir Elkurd

Do both fans work?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old September 23rd 04, 04:14 AM
lcopps

Sounds like the fan thermostat. The '88 Accord fans are hard-wired to
turn on when you fire up the A/C. If they cool fine when the A/C is on,
then the thermostat that controls them is bad, or their wireing. Until
you get it fixed, run the A/C. The coolant level is going down because
it is boiling into the overflow.