Starforce

Old October 15th 04, 02:36 PM
Mike Beauchamp

Default Starforce

I agree that the starforce thing is stupid... Especially since I don't think
it stops piracy at all, does it? I don't know what games already have
starforce, but it seems to me like you can't stop piracy.

If you DO want to buy GTR but hate starforce, why not just buy the game and
then download the pirated version?

I give you cred for not buyin' GTR because of the obsurd copyprotection
though... I haven't even had time to install that demo (with no simulation
mode, wtf? pretty stupid for a game whose marketing is based on realism)..
i've been playin' RBR too much lately Just got done the Professional
Chamionship with the 206. 50 points... I dropped out of France on the first
stage when I hit a tree. I'm no good at tarmac.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

om...

Old October 17th 04, 11:55 PM
Mika Takala

"Mike Beauchamp" > kirjoitti
>I agree that the starforce thing is stupid... Especially since I don't
>think it stops piracy at all, does it? I don't know what games already have
>starforce, but it seems to me like you can't stop piracy.
>
> If you DO want to buy GTR but hate starforce, why not just buy the game
> and then download the pirated version?

The Starforce v3 protection is nasty in that it can be made to scrable files
in many kinds of configuratinos; it can only be made to protect the .exe as
in most games (and thus, a nocd-exe can be made, and there are some for
starforce3 games).

It can also be made to protect the game exe and some of the data it directly
uses (some dll:s in GTR demo are such, and if it was a full game, a nocd
crack wouldn't crack it but a new version of the .exe _and_ the .dll's would
be needed).

Last but not least, it can be made to protect all of the games files, and
that would need a nocd-crack for all of the files in the game (downloadable
file, which would be almost as large as the game itself). Or someone would
need to crack the protection itself, but that is very difficult because of
the protected memory where the starforce driver is in windows kernel.

--
Mika Takala