90 accord stalling, code 41 43

Old March 22nd 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default 90 accord stalling, code 41 43

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Mar 20, 8:15 pm, " >
> wrote:
>>
>> > Have you considered that the sensor may have the wrong electrical
>> > characteristics for the ECU it's married to?

>> Yes. That's what I am trying to figure out to get to the bottom of
>> this. What in the world is the ECM measuring to determine that it's
>> time to throw a code 41?

> OK, so I thought about it a little more, since the heater circuit
> ground goes through the ECM, then it is probably measuring the current
> through the heater.

OBD-II ECMs do measure current from the heater wire. That's how it knows if
the heater's malfunctioning. However, I don't know if pre-OBD-II ECUs
monitored the heater wire or simply provided ground.

I had a better look at the manuals I've got, and it appears my original
conclusion was wrong: Your car DID originally come with a 4-wire sensor.

> So an internal leak to ground inside the sensor,
> or incorrect impedance in the heater would affect the current that the
> ECM sees. Can you think of anything else to check?

Corrosion at the connector, high wire resistance, I don't know what all
else.

If you post your question to the group rec.autos.tech, there is at least
one extremely knowledgeable and experienced technician (Comboverfish) who
posts there. He would be the best one to answer this one, as he has large
amounts of Honda experience.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 22nd 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> On Mar 20, 8:15 pm, " >
> wrote:
>>> Have you considered that the sensor may have the wrong electrical
>>> characteristics for the ECU it's married to?

>> Yes. That's what I am trying to figure out to get to the bottom of
>> this. What in the world is the ECM measuring to determine that it's
>> time to throw a code 41?

> OK, so I thought about it a little more, since the heater circuit
> ground goes through the ECM, then it is probably measuring the current
> through the heater. So an internal leak to ground inside the sensor,
> or incorrect impedance in the heater would affect the current that the
> ECM sees. Can you think of anything else to check?

three things:

1. if this vehicle is a 1990, as it says in your heading, then the
engine computer is expecting to see a single wire sensor. the only way
a 1990 accord would have 4-wire is if the vehicle has been converted for
some reason. and a 90 accord is not a typical candidate for that kind
of effort. if this is a 90 vehicle, and you think it's been converted,
you'll need to check the ecu's to be sure.

2. the two sensor types are very different in operation. you can't use
a broadband sensor, 4-wire, on a narrow band, single wire, ecu because
the output signals are not the same, even if you rigged up the heater wires.

3. many users here report dismal results with bosch sensors. including
myself.

bottom line, you can work with us by providing accurate information on
trying to figure this out, /or/ you can keep us in the dark and keep on
ignoring what people are telling you and see where it gets you. your call.
Old March 22nd 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Tegger wrote:
> jim beam > wrote in
> t:
>
>> wrote:
>>> OK, so I thought about it a little more, since the heater circuit
>>> ground goes through the ECM, then it is probably measuring the
>>> current through the heater. So an internal leak to ground inside the
>>> sensor, or incorrect impedance in the heater would affect the current
>>> that the ECM sees. Can you think of anything else to check?
>>>

>> three things:
>>
>> 1. if this vehicle is a 1990, as it says in your heading, then the
>> engine computer is expecting to see a single wire sensor. the only
>> way a 1990 accord would have 4-wire is if the vehicle has been
>> converted for some reason.

> I did a better check of my Helm manual for that model. It did indeed come
> with a 4-wire sensor. So did the Prelude, for that matter.

i stand corrected. i could have sworn i'd acquired a single wire sensor
from a 90 accord in a junk yard, but i must have been mistaken.
Old March 23rd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Mar 21, 9:48 pm, jim beam > wrote:

> 3. many users here report dismal results with bosch sensors. including
> myself.

Everything else seems fine, so next step is to get rid of the Bosch.
It's still a mystery why the OEM quit working, but whatever.